• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.
  • If you need direct help with your employment issue you can contact us at admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com for further assistance. This will give you access to “off-forum” support on a one-to- one basis from an experienced employment law expert for which we would welcome that you make a donation to help towards their time spent assisting on your matter. You can do this by clicking on the donate button in the box below.

Please help - Previous employer taking me to court over company car!!!!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Please help - Previous employer taking me to court over company car!!!!

Hello,

I am new to this site and desperately need some help and advice. It's a bit of a long story, but basically:

Until May 2009 I worked for a large company in a field based role, as such I was entitled to a company car. When I accepted the position I was given a choice of cars, I chose via an outsourced fleet management company. The car was above the benchmark vehicle and the company have furnished me with documents which appears to have my signature (of which i have no recollection of signing..) which basically confirms I accept if I leave employment of the company within 3 years I will be responsible for the "upgrade costs" on a pro-rate basis.

I left employment of the above company in May (resigned) and am now employed with a new company in a different industry.

My previous employers are now pursuing me for the contributions for the upgraded car (circa 4k!!!) and have got solicitors involved.

I have argued my case and appealed but to no avail. I have also establised the names of two members of staff who left the company around the same time and have not been pursued for there upgrades.

I have presented this to the company ,, but they say they 'left' under different circumstances to me. They were actually 'pushed' i have now establised for under performance.

Now, the company car policy says they will pursue "all persons leaving the Employment of XXXXX for any outstanding car contributions"
    Clearly they do not!!

Is there anything I can do here.. i really cannot afford to make this payment and am als upset that they do not appear to be consistant in their demands.

I have now recieved a CCJ Claim form from their solicitors, the details on it are:

Front Page of Claim form:
    Brief details of claim
    " Breach of contract - monies owed as a result of the Defendents termination of employment with the Claimant, by virtue of his resignation."

Value £ 4,485.32 plyus interest, see particlars of claim.

Amount claimed £4,734.24
    Court fee £108.00
    Solicitors Costs £80.00
    Total amount £4922.24

Particulars of Claim:

1. The Claimant is a company speciailisng in the provision of XXXX services and is a wholly owned subsidiary of XXXXXX .

2. The Defendant was employed by the Claimant. This employment commenced on 31st March 2008. The Defendants most recent role within the Cliamant's firm was as a XXXXX.

3. On the 15th February 2008 the Defendant signed a statement of Terms and Conditions of Employment, a copy of which are attached. It was these Terms and Conditions that governed the Defendants employment with the Claimant at the time of termination.

4. On the 15th February 2008 the defendant also signed an addendum to those terms and conditions which related to the Claimants car policy, a copy of which is attached. By signing this acknowledgement the Defendant acknowledged that he has read and understood the Claimants car policy booklet and agreed to abide by its terms and conditions.

5.Section 7 of that policy booket relates to vehicle upgrades and states that " the Society will reclaim any outstanding trade up amount from any driver trading up should they leave the Society prior to the end of the contract date. For example; if you have a vehicle on a 36-month contract at £100 per month, if you leave after 18 months you will owe £1800.00. This money will be required to be repaid on leaving."

6. The Defendanct tendered his resignation to the Claimant in May 2009. This was accepted by virtue of the Claimants letter dated 13th May 2009. The defendants effective date of termination was 19th May 2009.

7. Upon leaving his employent the Defendants owed the Claimant £4,485.32, being the balance due as a result of a company car upgrade.

8. The Claimant has written to the Defendant on a number of occasions requesting this debt from the Defendant. A final letter before action was sent to the Defendant on 5th November 2009.

9. The Claimant also claims interest pursuant to section 69 of the County Courts Act 1984 at the rate of 8% per annum from the date that the debt was due for payment until the date of issue of this claim form, amounting to £248.92

10. The Claimant is further entitled to claim interest at the daily rate of £0.98 from the date hereof until judgement or payment, whichever is sooner.

AND the Claimant claims:-

1. £4,485.32

2. Interest pursuant to Section 69 of the County Courts Act 1984 at the rate of 8% per annum, equivilant to £248.92 to the date of issue hereof.

3. Further interest pursuant to Section 69 of the County Courts Act 1984 at the rate of 8% per annum, continuing daily at the rate of £0.98 until judgment or sooner payment.

I am really, really worrying. I have tried to get an appointment with CAB, but they cannot see me until middle of next month!!

I need to write my own defence, if anyone can help me with a template/ideas on what to put and how to word it I would be very grateful.

Many thanks in advance
    M2000

Re: Please help - Previous employer taking me to court over company car!!!!

The fact that other ex-employees may or may not owe the company money under this scheme is of no consequence. You do not prove your own innocence by proving another's guilt.

Did you sign the documents referred to in points 3 and 4 of the particulars of claim?

Comment

Originally posted by Cetelco View Post
      The fact that other ex-employees may or may not owe the company money under this scheme is of no consequence. You do not prove your own innocence by proving another's guilt.

Did you sign the documents referred to in points 3 and 4 of the particulars of claim?

Hello Cetelco,

Thanks for your reply.

I requested the documents, and copies were returned bearing my signature, so yes I did.

If the policy states it will recover outstanding monies from all leavers of the company, does the fact that they have not applied the policy consistantly to several other leavers mean that they are potentially discriminating?

I am not sure where to turn, as I did offer a sum of £50 per month as a good will gesture to keep it from court and to put it all to bed. They have outright refused this and demand a min of £150 per month. I simply cannnot afford this amount.

I really do not want to end up in court, and cannot see an end to this :tinysmile_cry_t:

Comment

Discrimination must be based on age, sex, race, disability, religious belief etc. Thus, the issue of any potential discrimination regarding who they choose to pursue for unpaid monies is a red herring and you would be better to ignore it. There is nothing in it for you here and it is no basis for a defence.

By paying £50 a month, the debt would not be paid for over seven years and maybe the Society felt this was not acceptable.

Nevertheless, if £50 is all you can afford then it is difficult to imagine that a court would order you to pay more, unless it felt you ought to, based on evidence that you could afford more.

You may wish to argue that the sum being requested is a penalty and that no attempt has been made to mitigate loss. For example, if the actual car you were using has been reallocated to another member of staff, or returned to the fleet management company, how much have they actually lost due to your breach of contract? If it is less than the sum allegedly owing, then you are only obliged to pay for what the society or fleet management company have lost, as they must not be unjustly enriched.

Comment

Hi there,

I'm in the same boat, although slightly different. I handed my notice in last monday (15th Feb) and we are paid on the 19th of every month. Without any notice or discussion, the company failed to pay my Feb wages. The first i knew of this was when my boss turned up and told me that i'll find i wasn't paid.
          The company's justification for this was that i owed them approx £2.5k for the upgrade on my car. When my boss told me this, i had £22 in my account and direct debits set to go out that day. They had me completely at their mercy and forced me to agree to continue paying them £75 per month until the debt is cleared. In exchange, they gave me £500 petty cash to pay straight in and the balance by BACS today (Mon 22nd Feb).
          Much like M2000, i have signed the company's car policy, which states that I am liable for the cost.
          They want me to sign an agreement to pay them after i finish my notice period, which ends on 12th March. So far i have not signed anything and am wondering where i stand with this? The upgrade relates to me being a Cat B entitlement and the car in question was Cat A. If i agree to pay, the company could quite easily give the car to somebody who already has a Cat A entitlement, which the company would pay for anyway!
          All of this has put me in a very awkward position as i have 3 weeks left on my notice and have no guarentees that i am going to be paid and nobody from HR seems willing to speak to me, making my position untenable.
          What i would like to do is to suggest i leave now and call it quites as this would save them 3 weeks of my salary, which should about cover the disputed amount and enable me to start my new job earlier so that I can plug the financial gap.
          Where would i stand legally with this, and would you be able to advise a way forwards as like M2000, i cannot afford to pay this!

Regards
          Jambid13

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
          See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
          X