• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

HELP! What Now? Hardship conclusion?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HELP! What Now? Hardship conclusion?

Hi everyone,
    after months of 'procrastination letters re. my claim for bank charges under hardship, I got the 'slap in the face letter' today. I don't know what to do now. This letter pretty much duplicates earlier letters. I don't feel that the bank have either looked at the complaint under hardship, nor dealt with it fairly and in the appropriate times at all.
    I hope its ok to post a copy of the letter here which I've scanned in. The up shot is they say they looked at the financial hardship issue under separate cover. My argument is, how? If this is the absolute end comment that they have to offer, I don't see how they've addressed the hardship issue. The outline of my case is I applied for a reclaim of bank charges under hardship way back in June/July 09. I'd paid £5,000 plus over 6 years, all of this was taken from my disability/ I.S. these were charges which just continued rolling and escalating upon earlier charges until I stopped my money going into the bank as I couldn't live, eat or pay bills, since the bank kept helping themselves to biggest percentage of anything that went into the account and \i've 2 kids to look after as well. The bank was aware that I was on benefits. Also, in Sep 2007, my little died very unexpectedly from a rare undiagnosed tumour, she left 3 little ones. I wrote at that time explaining the family circumstances and that things were exceptionally difficult. Although I don't expect the bank to care about my personal circumstances or bereavement, I'd hoped for a bit of understanding at the very least but the charges kept on coming.
    I never had a credit card, just a debit card. I had £500 overdraft facility which in early 2000's I seldom used. As time passed, I would be maxed out on overdraft most weeks then my weekly money bring it down, living costs would put me back near limit then charges got silly and were taking me over the limit more and more. The bank reckon I owe them £1100. I reckon they owe ME over £5,000. I don't feel they've even properly addressed my claim. This most recent letter 'concluding' their 'investigation' is just another letter, standard format alost, which has been after months of going around in circles; them apologising for delay and saying they'd be in touch in 'due course', 'soon', blah blah blah. None of their letters seem to me to either concur my situation as being 'hardship', nor refute it. I feel they've simply skirted the issue and made vague comments that allude to hardship but don't actually address it.
    I'm devastated I'll be honest. Although I know the situ puts us consumers in a far worse position, I've never had one penny returned to me in terms of the charges. The 'ethical bank' have only served to make my situation impossible and put me and my kids under tremendous strain. I couldn't even contribute my share to my little sisters funeral/service costs on time. My dad covered my part. It just feels like the bank have hidden behind the supreme court ruling and NOT dealt with my case under the guidelines of hardship; despite the fact that my case falls under just about all the criteria set out defining hardship. ie income solely benefits, being charged more than £500 in any year, escalating spiral of charges etc.
    I don't want to do anything rash as like many people, I've fought long and hard and by the book for some redress. Any advice would be greatly welcomed. I feel physically sick at the injustice. Not to mention, no doubt moorcroft DCA will be back hassling me.
    Sorry this goes on long. Thanks for your patience and in advance, for any suggestions. I'm finding this really hard to keep on top of as in addition, the tumour my sister had (found post mortem) turned out to be hereditary so am currently under hospital getting checked for same. More tests pending as they found some things needing further investigating. My concentration/memory and energy are affected which doesn't help (on top of Narcolepsy). Suffice to say, all these things going on I feel worn to the core but I may be down, but I'm not willing to just give up yet and be out!!! Thanks again LB, you have been and still continue to be, my rock. .
    What would be my best way forward now? Is there any point in taking it to FOS?
    CatXXX
    PS will post letter after this message.:cry::cry::cry::cry:

Paper clips - the larval stage of coat-hangers!

Re: HELP! What Now? Hardship conclusion?

((((((((((((hug)))))))))))))))) Yes there is, post up the letter and we'll help you with a response. Can you put up your original hardship letter you sent out too, I dont think you did that as yet?

We can do a FOS complaint strongly on hardship and include the other unfairness/imbalance arguments.
    #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

Thanks for that post Cat, it cant have been easy for you to put all that information down.

Look forward to seeing the letters that Ame has requested you post up.

Rest assured the folks on here will try to assist you in progressing this through to a succesful conclusion. FOS is the best way for you to go and we will make sure we put together one humdinger of a claim for you.

Keep your chin up

Budgie x

Comment

[ATTACH]2675[/ATTACH]

Comment

Ok sugarlump, I would say that is the bog standard generic template they are sending to every man and his dog who has ever complained about bank charges. So dont take it too personally

We'll still write back - can you put up your original hardship complaint letter you sent them - and we can go from there
          #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

Originally posted by Amethyst View Post
            ((((((((((((hug)))))))))))))))) Yes there is, post up the letter and we'll help you with a response. Can you put up your original hardship letter you sent out too, I dont think you did that as yet?

We can do a FOS complaint strongly on hardship and include the other unfairness/imbalance arguments.
            Thanks Ame,
            I'll check through the north face of my paper mountain( ) and find my original hardship letter. Thanks again. CatXXX
            ------------------------------- merged -------------------------------
            Originally posted by Budgie View Post
            Thanks for that post Cat, it cant have been easy for you to put all that information down.

Look forward to seeing the letters that Ame has requested you post up.

Rest assured the folks on here will try to assist you in progressing this through to a succesful conclusion. FOS is the best way for you to go and we will make sure we put together one humdinger of a claim for you.

Keep your chin up

Budgie x
            Thanks Budgie,

It's a big comfort to have your support. I'll post up the original letter soon as I unearth it from the 'archives'. Really do appreciate the support here. More than I can say. CatXXX
            Originally posted by Amethyst View Post
            Ok sugarlump, I would say that is the bog standard generic template they are sending to every man and his dog who has ever complained about bank charges. So dont take it too personally

We'll still write back - can you put up your original hardship complaint letter you sent them - and we can go from there
            I thought that letter looked familiar Ame, or else I'm having a deja Vu.... :-)
            CatXXX
            Little un's chomping at the bit cos he's chomping at the bit and not on tea... better sort that then I can dig out the letters. Thanks again Ame, Budgie and everyone for all you do. I'll post them up soon as I've sorted sproglet...:-) CatXXX
            Last edited by catinahat; 14th January 2010, 17:37:PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

“May the road rise up to meet you, may the wind be ever at your back. May the sun shine warm upon your face and the rain fall softly on your fields. And until we meet again, May God hold you in the hollow of his hand.”
              CAVEAT LECTOR

This is only my opinion - "Opinions are made to be changed --or how is truth to be got at?" (Byron)

You and I do not see things as they are. We see things as we are.
              Cohen, Herb

There is danger when a man throws his tongue into high gear before he
              gets his brain a-going.
              Phelps, C. C.

"They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance!"
              The last words of John Sedgwick

Comment

My letter to bank asking them to refund charges under hardship. Apologies for time lapse posting this; couldn't get back online last night... thanks again guys for your help and support. CatXXx

Comment

PS. I also mailed them I/E and original documents for proof of income/outgoings; these included letters from DWP, Inland Revenue (child tax credit/child ben) Disability Living allowance letter, proof of rent, utility bills (including threatening letters for late payments) defaults on other bills and proof of crisis loan application. CatXXX

Comment

Hi Cat.

We'll do the best we can to get this put to FOS as a humdinger of a case, as Budgie has said. Keep your chin up xxx
                    Is no longer here

Comment

A minor point, but I would have liked you to be more specific ie when the income changed and the effect it had on your income, ie to make it even more individual to you specifically. Furthermore, I would quantify the issue of arrears and who it is with whilst asking your creditors as to what help they can give to you. I hope that makes sense.

Comment

Originally posted by natweststaffmember View Post
                        A minor point, but I would have liked you to be more specific ie when the income changed and the effect it had on your income, ie to make it even more individual to you specifically. Furthermore, I would quantify the issue of arrears and who it is with whilst asking your creditors as to what help they can give to you. I hope that makes sense.
                        Hi Natttie,
                        when I sent I/E form, I also sent specific proof of arrears/defailts etc so the bank was aware of which particular bills etc were the most pressing. Ine of their letters said ' we might be able to help with your financial difficulties on receipt of proof of rent/income etc (which I sent), however, the bank did not clarify how they 'might be able to help'.
                        CatXXX
                        Thanks Wendy. XXX
                        Last edited by catinahat; 15th January 2010, 14:55:PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

what about the providers you were in arrears with?
                          Did they offer any help either?

Comment

Hiya Cat

I was so extremely sorry to learn of this rejection - very very naughty Co-op Bank.

For clarity can you please advise the date of the letter which you sent to the bank?

Hun we are all routing for you as you now have the brains of britain all routing for you and between us we will find a way forward.

<<<<hugs>>>>>

Tuttsi xx

Comment

Hi Tutts,
                              I wrote for the schedule of charges August 16 (enclosed a £10.00 postal order at same time); didn't get any word back until October 7th. I then wrote asking for reclaim under hardship, October 19th; (In between reiterated financial situ and fired off I/E and proof of income/supporting docs etc- can't remember for sure if I sent those at same time or shortly after, but definitely wasn't lengthy time lapse between my letter and sending proof docs etc). I got a letter from bank Oct 7 with schedule of charges, basically saying if i was pursuing a claim for bank charges there was the waiver in place etc etc. Next letter from them (in reply to mine was Oct 29 which was a bog standard thing and went on more about the OFT legal case & the waiver (again); that letter made a brief comment to my request that my case be looked at under hardship. The bank said they would contact me 'under separate cover'. I got a letter then on Nov 4th from 'managed accounts' dept, requesting copies of income proof, copies of proof of rent, completed financial statement along with supporting documents. This letter said (quote) " Upon reciept of the completed financial statement, together with supporting documentation, we may be able to assist you with your finances..." (end quote). Then of course, we got the supreme court ruling on 25th Nov and the tide turned. .. I'm sure I sent supporting docs twice; once to support my claim as being under hardship; then again, with the specific info they'd asked for. Any subsequent correspondance from the bank after that letter I got on Nov 4th (and after the supreme court ruling on Nov 25th), any letters thereafter were just, 'oh we haven't forgotten about you', sorry for delay, still investigating etc etc until their slap in the face letter yesterday.
                              When I was going to originally put in my claim for a refund, I'd JUST missed out as the waiver began and everything was on hold. I can't help feeling that I missed the boat 2nd time by a couple of weeks. (even tho the ruling wasn't supposed to affect how they dealt with claims under hardship). I think it'd be naive to think the SC ruling didnt have an impact upon those too... (oops, I'm waffling on again, sorry:-0

I can scan in all the letters from the bank if it helps any? My internet is being a rat bag at mo for some reason but hey, these things that are sent to try us eh?

Thanks again chucky egg. (and for having the patience to read through this lol)
                              CatXXX

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                              Working...
                              X