• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Threatening letter from debt collection agency re my dead son's Nat West credit card

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Threatening letter from debt collection agency re my dead son's Nat West credit card

Hello, I hope you can help me.

My son, who lived with us for his last two months, died 8 months ago. A letter from a debt collection agency addressed to my son has just arrived saying they want payment for his Nat West credit card in the next 7 days or they will take him to court.

I know my son had a hsbc credit card but I was totally unaware of a Nat West credit card.

How do I know this is not a scam?
    Why has the bank itself never written?
    Why has it taken this agency so long to write?
    More importantly, what should I do?

Thank you

Re: Threatening letter from debt collection agency re my dead son's Nat West credit c

I'm sorry for your lose in all of this.
    There really is only one thing to do.
    That would be return any letters unopened with Not Known.

The DCA in question cannot take any further action anyway.
    Which DCA is it ?

Comment

Re: Threatening letter from debt collection agency re my dead son's Nat West credit c

Thank you so much for your quick reply. I can really do that legally?

Comment

Technically you are already breaking the law by opening a letter that is not addressed to you anyway. Don't worry about that though.
        Debts, especially of this nature, are a personal thing and cease to be collectable once the debtor passes on.

They threaten all sort of things, but are basically toothless harassment merchants.

Comment

Thank you very much for taking the time to answer me.

Comment

Never a problem.
            I have a well known dislike for DCA's and their tactics..

Comment

Although not identical to this situation, please take a look at this thread, where something similar happened.

Phillips Cohen Associates Ltd - Legal Beagles

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
              Working...
              X