• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Equita Bailiff "omitted to bank the money"

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Equita Bailiff "omitted to bank the money"

Linda Robson's fury after Congestion Charge bailiffs hound sick father | Mail Online

Actress Linda Robson has attacked London’s Congestion Charge chiefs after bailiffs ‘harassed’ her cancer-stricken stepfather over a fine – which he had already paid. During the row, 78-year-old John Bull, who is married to the Birds Of A Feather star’s mother, Rita, had his car clamped and was visited by debt collectors who allegedly threatened to take his furniture.

Transport For London (TfL), the quango responsible for the Congestion Charge, and bailiff firm Equita backed down only when threatened with legal action.

Last night, Ms Robson criticised the quango for ‘harassing and upsetting’ her stepfather and accused the bailiffs of acting ‘as a law unto themselves’.

She said: ‘When the bailiffs arrived we tried to explain that my stepdad was very ill in bed and it was all a mistake.

'But we couldn’t argue with them. They wanted my mum’s furniture. ‘She had never seen bailiffs before, now she is absolutely petrified. 'People who are very elderly or ill should be given the chance to explain their circumstances before the bailiffs are sent in. It is a disgrace.’

Mr Bull, who has advanced prostate cancer and arthritis, was ordered to pay a £120 fine after he drove into Central London in August last year without paying the congestion Charge. As the holder of a disabled badge, he would have been exempt, but he failed to register with TfL in advance. He fought the bill, but an appeals tribunal ruled against him, and in May TfL sent bailiffs to his home in Islington, North London, where they allegedly threatened to take his furniture.

Ms Robson then settled the fine, which by then had soared to £433, with Andrew Mascot of Equita Bailiffs – but he failed to bank the money. This meant Mr Bull had his Renault Megane clamped by another bailiffs’ firm and received further threatening letters.

Ms Robson said the family was ‘at our wits end’ when local Tory activist Oriel Hutchinson, who has a history of battling TfL, offered to take their case to Clerkenwell County Court.

TfL and Equita Bailiffs then backed down, apologised and paid Mr Bull £1,000 compensation.

In a statement to the court, Mr Mascot admitted that he had ‘omitted’ to bank the money.

Ms Hutchinson said: ‘Sadly, this case is typical of so many involving TfL. I find it incredible that it uses these self-regulating, unscrupulous organisations. Mr Bull is a lovely old man. I could not believe TfL and the bailiffs treated him this way.’

TfL said: ‘The bailiff failed to follow our agreed processes so we refunded the monies and apologised.’

Equita added: ‘Our bailiff collected the monies from Mr Bull and issued a receipt.

'Unfortunately, they were not banked in accordance with our procedures. Once this came to light, Equita refunded the bailiff fees and issued an apology.’

Last edited by Amy; 6th December 2009, 13:43:PM.

Re: Equita Bailiff "omitted to bank the money"

Hello, the exactly same thing happened to my parents with the exactly the same bailiff, Andy Mascot. We have contacted Equita but because we have no proof of giving the money to Andy as he refused to give a reciept, they are not taking it further and expect us to pay fully amount. How to i go about taking this further? I have no idea what i do next and i will not let him get away with it. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Comment

Isn't it appropriate that Equita should have such a Mascot?

What is not appropriate, however, is that he should have retained his certificate after having admitted his misdeed in 2009.

Comment

Didn't take him long to start fiddling eh??

http://www2.bedfordtoday.co.uk/pubno...8/mlu31284.pdf
        "Although scalar fields are Lorentz scalars, they may transform nontrivially under other symmetries, such as flavour or isospin. For example, the pion is invariant under the restricted Lorentz group, but is an isospin triplet (meaning it transforms like a three component vector under the SU(2) isospin symmetry). Furthermore, it picks up a negative phase under parity inversion, so it transforms nontrivially under the full Lorentz group; such particles are called pseudoscalar rather than scalar. Most mesons are pseudoscalar particles." (finally explained to a captivated Celestine by Professor Brian Cox on Wednesday 27th June 2012 )

I am proud to have co-founded LegalBeagles in 2007

If we have helped you we'd appreciate it if you can leave a review on our Trust Pilot page

If you wish to book an appointment with me to discuss your credit agreement, please email kate@legalbeaglesgroup. com

Comment

Lucy, how did you pay him? Is this also a TFL charge, if so, have you written to them yet?

Comment

Lucy's started her own thread on this latest outrage.

Money stolen by bailiff - Legal Beagles Consumer Forum
            "Although scalar fields are Lorentz scalars, they may transform nontrivially under other symmetries, such as flavour or isospin. For example, the pion is invariant under the restricted Lorentz group, but is an isospin triplet (meaning it transforms like a three component vector under the SU(2) isospin symmetry). Furthermore, it picks up a negative phase under parity inversion, so it transforms nontrivially under the full Lorentz group; such particles are called pseudoscalar rather than scalar. Most mesons are pseudoscalar particles." (finally explained to a captivated Celestine by Professor Brian Cox on Wednesday 27th June 2012 )

I am proud to have co-founded LegalBeagles in 2007

If we have helped you we'd appreciate it if you can leave a review on our Trust Pilot page

If you wish to book an appointment with me to discuss your credit agreement, please email kate@legalbeaglesgroup. com

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
            Working...
            X