• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Tax Credit Overpayments Help & Advice Links

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tax Credit Overpayments Help & Advice Links

Good forum and advice site for dealing with tax credit overpayments

http://familytaxcredit.forumco.com/

http://www.taxcreditoverpayment.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/

They have a useful Appeal pack and lots of info and support.
    #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

http://www.taxcreditoverpayment.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/

Hi - anyone having problems join this website its brilliant
    Last edited by Amethyst; 10th September 2007, 16:10:PM.

Comment

Re: Tax Credit Overpayments Help & Advice Links

thanks rosie.....

Nice to see you popping your nose in - nip in welcome and say hi while you're here - we know how much you love forums :kiss:
      Last edited by Amethyst; 10th September 2007, 17:45:PM.
      #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Comment

Hello Amethyst, thanks for welcome..

Great site - consumers unite - I also look at the tax credit site it is so helpful.
        The tax credit fiasco is shameful on government!
        Last edited by rosie; 11th September 2007, 08:55:AM. Reason: spelling!

Comment

Would this be of any help??
          http://www.bailii.org/ew/cases/EWHC/Admin/1999/418.html

SOUTH HAMS DISTRICT COUNCIL EX PARTE WILLIAM ASH, R v. [1999] EWHC Admin 418 (10th May, 1999)

It's a judgment to do with reclaiming overpayments of housing benefit and council tax benefit.

Maybe we could pull something from it
          Last edited by Amethyst; 21st September 2007, 07:58:AM. Reason: can't speeelll

Comment

been and visited the link below regarding tax credit overpayment's, great site with some descent advice.
            I would like to pursue the hmrc overpayment's (due to their mistakes), the automatic return of those payments, plus the expected return of overpayment's from future awards.
            Now I'm no lawyer but there must be something, somewhere in our mad legal system, that we could use to help us victims, stop being victims of the financial
            burial ground.
            Overpayment's and cock up's from the hmrc have caused many hardships over the past x years, something should be done.

Any starters for 10??????????

What about the case link below???

Comment

We were told that we had been overpaid, but we have had no explanation of how the overpayment occurred. Are we entitled to a break-down of how they cam to their conclusion?

Comment

I would have thought so.
                #staysafestayhome

Comment

take a look here, it may be of some help to you.

http://www.taxcreditoverpayment.pwp....hings_1st.html
                  Last edited by thephoenix; 29th November 2007, 16:53:PM. Reason: adding link may just help

Comment

We recently had an overpayment bought to our attention due to partners payrise and me moving in (housing benifit didnt know i moved in but working tax did even though we told both at same time.)
                    Partner recieved heavy threats by letter then a phonecall advising she was to be interviewed under caution for benifit fraud. They were not prepared to tell us why this interview was taking place. A local soliciter said to refuse the interview, they would be fishing for info and obviously had no real proof therefore should not be interviewing under caution unless a prosecution was on the cards with solid evidence. I told the council offices what i was told, interview was then made informal and all claims of fraud dropped. We still have to pay the money back, but long and short of it is the council will say or do anything to hoodwinnk you into admitting guilt, and its un called for. This was a simple cleerical error that caused partners antidepressants dose to be doubled.

Comment

Thank you for telling us of your experience Tommy and I am so sorry that it was a really bad one for you and especially your partner. We are under no illusions as to what councils will get up to, we have seen enough with Council Tax collections and the use of bailiffs companies to understand that. I hope all will be ok for you and soon.
                      Enaid x

Comment

Hello I have tried to click on the links http://www.taxcreditoverpayment.pwp....hings_1st.html but now not available are there any different links available.

Comment

I have found myself in a similar situation to some of the above.
                          received a letter in October 2010 to say that I had been over paid child tax credit by £1435, I tried to ring them about this but could never get through on the phone. so wrote to them in early November.
                          I now have another letter, where they do not acknowledge receipt of my letter, but the amount I now owe has jumped up to £3400, I have not received child tax credit since August 2010.
                          I do not understand how I owe this money. I have written back to them asking them to explain the overpayment.

Comment

Hi Dizzyking

You need to request for a written detailed breakdown on this.

Back some years ago we were overpaid, and they stopped paying out the tax credits for almost a year, but if this was to be paid back, you could come to some sort of arrangement on this.
                            If any hardship difficulties then I'm sure something can be arranged.

Why overpayments can happen........

Overpayments usually happen because...
                            • You didn't tell the tax office about changes
                              You normally have one month to tell the tax office of any key changes in your circumstances, though discretion is given if you or a family member were seriously ill.
                              If you don’t let the office know of any changes within one month you could be asked to pay back any overpayments, so do it as quickly as possible to avoid potential issues.
                            • The tax office didn't meet its responsibilities
                              It either made a mistake in your calculations or took longer than a month to update your records once you informed it of any changes.

Will see if I find any info on this, meanwhile maybe someone on here will give advice on where to take this one.

Comment

Tax Office may be at fault, this happens, and in this case they have been told they cannot take legal action for overpayment if its not your mistake.

You could try ringing them, to ask for an explanation, then follow this up in writing if any issues.
                              If the reason is not a proper reason, you can then challenge the decision in writing.

Tax Credits Helpline:
                              0845 300 3900

And you can try this tel number below if you want to, think it may be cheaper:
                              01355 359007

Tell them you don't understand how its come to that actual amount, and you will appreciate they send you all details in forms of a breakdown.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                              Working...
                              X