• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Lowell Group and Direct Debit

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lowell Group and Direct Debit

I am dealing with the lovely Lowell Group and following a phone conversation last week it was suggested that a direct debit was set up. I sort of agreed to this, but then they told me that in order to do this, they would need me to pay by debit/credit card a fee of £1.01. I refused to give them my card details, and they said that I could send them a cheque for this amount.

This strikes me as being a bit bizarre. Why would they want this, and am I right in not being willing to agree?

Re: Lowell Group and Direct Debit

What are they chasing and have they provided any proof that they are indeed legally allowed to do this ?

Comment

Originally posted by Curlyben View Post
      What are they chasing and have they provided any proof that they are indeed legally allowed to do this ?
      Wow, that was quick!

It's a Credit Card debt, and they've not provided proof, but the details seem to fit: the company is right (Capital One) and the amount is about what I think it is.

Comment

Immaterial.

DCA have been known to "stretch" the truth just to get a payment.

Youreally need to have a read through this: ~~~ Consumer Credit Agreements - A Guide ~~~~ inc. Letters - Legal Beagles

Comment

Originally posted by Curlyben View Post
          Immaterial.

DCA have been known to "stretch" the truth just to get a payment.

Youreally need to have a read through this: ~~~ Consumer Credit Agreements - A Guide ~~~~ inc. Letters - Legal Beagles

Once again, many thanks. That is going to take me a while to get through.

In the meantime am I right simply to ignore Lowell? They are bound to try calling me again tomorrow - probably at work.

Comment

Inform them that you require everything in writing fir the avoidance of doubt and that all calls ate now being recorded.

Comment

If they contact you at work then remind them of their obligations under Section 2.2 g of
              Debt collection guidance - Final guidance on unfair business ...

2.2 g. ignoring or disregarding debtors' legitimate wishes in respect
              of when and where to contact them, for example, shift workers who
              ask not to be telephoned during certain times of the day
              Any opinions I give are my own. Any advice I give is without liability. If you are unsure, please seek qualified legal advice.

IF WE HAVE HELPED YOU PLEASE CONSIDER UPGRADING TO VIP - click here

Comment

Originally posted by Tools View Post
                If they contact you at work then remind them of their obligations under Section 2.2 g of
                Debt collection guidance - Final guidance on unfair business ...

Thanks, will do.

Comment

Things have gone very quiet...

I wrote to Lowell telling them that I was not going to pay anything until I received some confirmation of the debt. Since then, nothing. No letters, no phone calls, nothing.

It's been about a fortnight now. Is this normal? And should I be expecting some other tactic from them?

Comment

Until they can be bothered to write back to you demonstrating your liability to this debt you have nothing to say to them.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                    Working...
                    X