• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

child benefit + tax credits

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• child benefit + tax credits

Hi all i knwo we have had a devastating blow about the court result but was hoping someone could help me out on this one.

Currently my wife and i have 3 of her children living with us full time she is the only name on the child benefit.

The youngest child of 8 wants to go and live with her farther 1 week on 1 week off.

Know i do know that whoever is claiming the child benefit is the only person entilted to the tax credits and i know only 1 person can claim the child benefit.

When the youngest child goes to live with her dad is he entilted to half the child benefit/tax credits or would he have to try and make a counter claim for the child benefit.

Does my wife have to give him half of these beneftis?

Any info would be great.

Re: child benefit + tax credits

Actually, Killer, that'snot strictly true. Child Benefit is claimed by one person only, but WFTC is based on total income, so if their are two people in the household then the WFTC would be in joint names.

And also, Child Benefit and WFTC are dealt with in two different departments and they don't necessarily liaise with each other. Also, WFTC is not automatically paid, you have to put a claim in for it, or not, as the case may be.

Best thing to do is phone bothe the Child Benefit enquires line, and the WFTC enquiries, and ask the question. You do not have to give names etc, just tell them its a general query about a situation which may arise. They will no doubt ask for a National Insurance number, don't give it to them, just say it's a hypothetical situation, it hasn't happened yet, you were just wanting to clarify just in case, etc etc.
    Is no longer here

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
    Working...
    X