• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Help Needed With Laptop Before I Kill It!!!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Help Needed With Laptop Before I Kill It!!!

Netgear.
    Ihave no prolems with the main computer. but even when I put the lead direct in to here, it won't connect - it did when it first started playing up.
    Howdo I check any dodgy programmes on my laptop?

Sally x
    P1ss on me if you like, but don't try and tell me it's rain!
    life is all the more precious when we remember it is a terminal state.

If you need any help with addiction please feel free to PM or email me. I will help all I can
    Please don't drink and drive

25th Aug SAR request ~11th Sep 1/2 back ~ 23rd Oct all back ~ 29th Oct prelim request ~ 11th Nov LBA ~ 20th Nov "Don't Be Silly" letter ~ 25th Nov I won!

Comment

like paradox said, it's difficult to pinpoint anything.

Have you checked for spyware & adware?
      Which firewall software do you have?
      Have you checked for a software update for your wireless router?
      What happens when you switch off your router, unplug all the cables, wait 10 secs, plug it back in and switch it on? Do you have connectivity or not?

There could be lots of reasons why your having probs, just a case of sifting through them

Comment

Oh No, Its not Sky broadband is it?

Comment

Done the unplugging thing.
          With Mcfee.
          Done spy check.

Would dell be able to check what I've got that's doing this?

Sally x

If you need any help with addiction please feel free to PM or email me. I will help all I can

25th Aug SAR request ~11th Sep 1/2 back ~ 23rd Oct all back ~ 29th Oct prelim request ~ 11th Nov LBA ~ 20th Nov "Don't Be Silly" letter ~ 25th Nov I won!

Comment

no, i very much doubt it.
            have you checked for software update for your router?

Comment

Phoenix what does that mean? How do I do that? ....

sally x

Comment

sorry, my fault.
                Sometimes your router might not update the software it uses to actually work properly.

not used xp 4 a while so not 100% sure of control panel layout.
                open your control panel and look for 'device manager'.
                Open device manager and look for 'network adapters'.
                Expand network adapters (click on the littlebox with a + inside.
                now right click on your netgear router, it should give you an option 'update driver'
                if you click that and select 'search internet of update' it will let you know if there is one or not.

Another thought, have you tried disabling your Mcafee, then switching your router off and on. might be your firewall set up.

Sky broadband... i hope not :rolleyes:

Comment

Ok. Off to work now so will try all that tomorrow.

Maybe Dell will replace it because it can't be fixed on the phone? If, after they get it back they find out it was something I downloaded, it will be too late.
                  Trouble is, I will probably download the thing again (i.e Limewire)

With Ntl.

Sally x

Comment

ohhhhh Limewire :shush:

Comment

you might want to be carefull, if it's something that you have downloaded or just a simple set up required, they may charge you for it.

best to exhaust all possibilities first. It will be something simple, it usually is, trust me, been there many many times.

Comment

It's likely to be something that you've downloaded from Limewire. P2P programs are notorious for having spy/malware in them.

Either that or it's Vista, thats got a habit of disconnecting my OH for no reason.

Comment

Originally posted by Paradox View Post
                          It's likely to be something that you've downloaded from Limewire. P2P programs are notorious for having spy/malware in them.

Either that or it's Vista, thats got a habit of disconnecting my OH for no reason.

YEP! I'm on vista and it's a pain in the rump. I've not had any probs for about 2-3 weeks now - touch so much wood I've got sore fingers - and I'm hoping not to get any more

I had loads of probs when using limewire, did a scan once and had 15,500 infections. and thats with all firwall, virus software at full strength.

use torrents now, no probs at all.

Comment

You've probably got about the same amount now, using Vista and all

I use bitlord and btmon if I have to (for legal stuff of course)

Comment

PJ just kill it babe...................

Comment

me?? its not my lappy thats knackered!!! msl:

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                                Working...
                                X