• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Can a UK DCA try collecting a debt from NZ?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can a UK DCA try collecting a debt from NZ?

Hi, I am new to this site but I have been reading through and think it is very useful and helpful. We left NZ 18 months ago and stupidly didn't pay off some loans. I feel really bad about it, but we couldn't afford to pay them with trying to set up home back in the UK.
    I have received a letter from Telogram asking us to confirm our address as the last one they have is 10 years old. I have ignored the letter and put it in the bin.
    Last week I received an 'international' telephone call asking for me and my husband by name. I told him he had the wrong number.
    I am now petrified. Can a NZ debt be chased in the UK? As far as I know there is not a CCJ against us in NZ.
    I would really appreciate some urgent advice on this matter.
    Thank you.

Re: Can a UK DCA try collecting a debt from NZ?

I am sorry Frantic I can't answer your question, I would though welcome you to Beagles and hope someone will be along soon who can.
    Enaid x

Comment

In short, yes.
      It really depends on who the original creditor was in NZ and who they have chasing it.

Comment

The creditor is the ANZ bank for an unpaid credit card. They have Dunn & Bradshaw chasing it in NZ. I thought I had read somewhere that if there was no CCJ in the original country then a UK DCA had no jurisdiction to enforce it in the UK. Any advice as to what to do next would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
        Working...
        X