• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Insurance issues

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Insurance issues

Hi all

Dont know if anyone can offer help. About 8-10 years ago we had a serious flood when our boiler system leaked. At the time we had our insurance with HSBC. They came out and did a servey and replaced the damaged celings and carpets ect. For the last few years there has been a crack on the livivg room wall (that had damaged the wallpapper) On investigating it today and removing the wallpaper and some plaster. The bricks have also have huge cracks through them. The cracks are directly below the boiler system and my builder neighbour says the warter damage years ago would have caused it. What do i do now? we changed our insurance over to Natwest this year.

Any advice would be welcomed

Sarah
    ------------------------------- merged -------------------------------
    Sorry for poor puncutuation and spelling!! I should really read through things before posting..
    Last edited by sarah9900; 14th November 2009, 16:23:PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Re: Insurance issues

I guess your first action would be to get an opinion from your current insurer as to what has caused the damage. As it was a long time ago it may be difficult to prove but it obviously should be investigated.

If they feel this is damage caused by the water or the work done as a result of the previous claim there may actually be legal cover within the policy for you to pusue the matter . But because of the time that has passed this may be difficult to prove.

It wont cost you anything to contact them and they will send an assessor to look at the damage and hopefully tell you the cause and whether you are covered.

Did you not investigate at all when you first saw the cracks?

Is this an internal wall ? Load bearing?
    "What makes the desert beautiful is that somewhere it hides a well." - Antione de Saint Exupery

"Always reach for the moon, if you miss you'll end up among the stars"

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
    Working...
    X