• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Swinton car insurance cancellation

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Swinton car insurance cancellation

Hi there

I have to firstly admit I am a nieve consumer, I dont read terms and conditions thorough, I just presume as long as I pay and be a good girl things should be ok.

Well, with struggling a little financially and trying to be good and sensible by reducing outgoing, I have decided to sell my car and therefore cancel the insurance, if I am not using the car I don't want it insured, mind you just had a thought, that as long as I have it, I don't want it stollen and not covered I supposed, might have to re-instate the insurance anyway.

But they are trying to charge me £152.74 for apparantly insurance I have already received, however I have been paying in installments. Then on top of that, £10.07 Direct Debit interest, £27.57 Discount recovery and £50 cancellation fee. This just seems obsene to me and that basically customers are not allowed to cancel their insurance whenever they want to without incurring hurrendous charges. Are they allowed to do this?

Thanks

Nicki

Re: Swinton car insurance cancellation

Hi Nick

have a read here http://www.legalbeagles.info/forums/...light=swintons

Tuttsi

Comment

Thanks for this I appreciate your response, however this only covers PPI and I haven't taken out insurance with PPI, its car insurance so I just want to know if they can do what they are trying to do to me? Are you allowed to cancel a car insurance policy before within the first year of the policy and not expect to get hit left, right and centre with charges and being expected to pay the entire years policy fee?

Thanks in advance if anyone is able to shed any light on this for me?

Thanks

NJ x

Comment

Yes, basically it is called short term cover and of course they have added an admin charge(this could be debateable). The insurers also will charge a percentage of the annual premium. For an example only- 1 months cover they could charge 30% of the annual cover, 2 months could cost 40% and so on.

If you read your policy conditions you will see the short term charges.

Also, speak to Swintons regarding the £50 charge? and ask them how they arrive at that figure? and sldo ask for evidence of anything that you signed when you took the policy and was the charge in their terms and conditions.

Tuttsi

Originally posted by Nickij01 View Post
        Thanks for this I appreciate your response, however this only covers PPI and I haven't taken out insurance with PPI, its car insurance so I just want to know if they can do what they are trying to do to me? Are you allowed to cancel a car insurance policy before within the first year of the policy and not expect to get hit left, right and centre with charges and being expected to pay the entire years policy fee?

Thanks in advance if anyone is able to shed any light on this for me?

Thanks

NJ x

Comment

My mothers car insurance was with them, it ran from April to March. When she died in the July I sold her car in the August and consequently cancelled the insurance and asked for a refund of monies, out of a £200 yearly premium I got back £5.40 with the explanation that the rest was swallowed up in administration etc.

I do know that if you pay your insurance by instalments then you effectively take out the insurance for the year and if anything 'happens' and you cancel the insurance you still have to pay the full premium.

Comment

RAC car insurance cancellation

Hi,

I was insured on a foreign licence initially. On changing my insurance to a British licence my premium has gone up by £1000. I was under the wrong impression that my insurance premium would go down with a British licence.
            I am being asked to pay a cancellation charge of £975 to cancel. Either ways I seem to be losing £ 1000.
            I dont know whether I am legally liable to pay for the increased insurance premium, which I had not agreed to. I have not signed and returned any papers to RAC. Please advise.

Comment

It's never cheaper to be British.

Comment

Please remember the insurance companies' golden rule:

"Heads, we win, Tails you lose"

P.P.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                Working...
                X