• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Car damaged while in for repairs

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Car damaged while in for repairs

Good morning.

When we bought our car, which is about 6 years old, it was immaculate but during the time we have had it we have had two minor knocks (no other vehicle was involved and no damage was caused to anything but our car) which we have not had repaired as we didn't want to claim on our insurance (we have big no claims bonus and the damage was slight). The accidents caused
    - dent and scratching of wheel arch
    - small dents in both offside doors

Recently someone reversed into the rear of our car when it was parked. We saw it happen, they accepted liability etc. We sent two quotes to their insurers and one was accepted. So far so good...

Our car was in the garage for 5 days having the work done to the rear (courtesy of the 3rd party's insurers) and while it was there we paid to get the wheel arch fixed. Unfortunately we couldn't afford to have the dents on the doors mended too but as they are barely noticeable we decided they were not so important. I have photos of the car showing those dents (barely visible).

Yesterday, when we were approaching the garage to collect the car we saw "our" bodyshop repair man talking to his neighbour (also a garage repair). They were both having a long hard look at the off side of our car.

The long and the short of it is the car has been damaged again on the two offside doors, but this time deep dents and a scratch right through to the paintwork. We pointed this out to the bodyshop man but he denied responsibility, saying the car had come in with this dent/scratch. This simply is not true; it genuinely did not have this damage when we left it and the damage is so new that it hasn't rusted (which it will do pretty fast in this weather). We have also raised the matter wtih his neighbour who said "I don't know anything about it mate" - rather odd as we saw them discussing it...

Should we go to the 3rd party's insurers and tell them that the car has been damaged? Should we "have it out" with the garage? What can we do? Any thoughts anyone?
    Last edited by bottomburp; 31st October 2009, 13:38:PM.

Re: Car damaged while in for repairs

Am I right in thinking you have photo's of the original dents ? if so, then i suggest you get them copied and take them and pictures of the recent ones back into the garage, tell them that the pictures are of the car before you took it in and and ask the guy to explain how in the hell the car got damaged whilst in his care.
    If he denies all knowledge then tell him your going to report him to whatever organisation there is for garages (ie OFT or OFCOM whatever they are called) and write to his head office, if there is one.
    I'd also mention solicitors too, might concentrate his mind a bit.
    If you get no joy then we'll have to re-think the situation, mind you someone else will probably pop along and have a few ideas to help you.

Comment

As Sapphy suggested, do you have any photos of the minor damage that was there originally. If so, confront the repair shop with these and tell him that if he does not agree to rectify the damage caused while the car was in his care you will inform the 3rd party insurers, requesting that he should not be paid for the work he has done so far to the rear.

Is the car still with him and did they supply a courtesy car whilst yours was in for repair?
      Any opinions I give are my own. Any advice I give is without liability. If you are unsure, please seek qualified legal advice.

IF WE HAVE HELPED YOU PLEASE CONSIDER UPGRADING TO VIP - click here

Comment

I'm beginning to wish I hadn't asked this - your replies are exactly what I think we should do. However, OH isn't so keen... If we fall out with these people then they may not do any further work for us (they're cheap and his neighbour has, so far, been reliable) ...and that may be worth more than the damage. I don't see why people should lie and get away with it (and leave us to pick up the cost of repair). Also, we live quite near to these people, in an isolated spot, and the car could get damaged when we're out...

Seems like we're damned if we do and damned if we don't.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
        Working...
        X