• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

help for a friend

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• help for a friend

Hi all im posting on here in the hope someone could give some advice about a situation a friend is in.

My friend has been married for around 10 years and now unfautanly he is now getting devorced. It seems like a bit of a couincidence to him that she is now filing for devorce because he has just sold a house which belonged to his parents and stands to get a lump sum over the next week or so.

Is there anything he can do to stop his future x wife getting her hands on it.

He does have a brother who he currently lives with now and he is also getting a lump sum. So is there anything he can do to stop her getting her hands on anything.

regards

Killersla

Re: help for a friend

Have they been seperated for very long ?
    Are there any children involved ?
    Did they live in the house as husband and wife at all ?
    Did he (and his brother jointly??) receive the house as an inheritance before they seperated ?
    #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

they have been living seperatly for around 2 months now.

There is one child that they are both parents to although there is another child who lives with his future x who he is the step dad to.

The house that has been sold no they did not live in that house together

With this house basically what happened was my friend was living with his wife in rented accomadation with their son and another child to a different farther. My friends brothers (he had 3 at the time lived in their parents house who have both passed on)

2 of his brothers have also dided which left the last brother who lived in this house alone. For the sale of the house to go through my friend and his brother had to go to solictors to make some kind of oath cant remember what it was called so they could sign over the deeds of the house to the buyer.

regards

Comment

You probably want to have a read of one of the divorce forums and your friend probably needs to check with a solicitor. She will probably ask for a portion of his share of the house as it is an asset and she would probably be granted a portion of it especially with a child being involved but these things are never cut and dried.
        #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

:tinysmile_aha_t: subbing to this one.
          Any opinions I give are my own. Any advice I give is without liability. If you are unsure, please seek qualified legal advice.

IF WE HAVE HELPED YOU PLEASE CONSIDER UPGRADING TO VIP - click here

Comment

Your friend will on divorce have to fill in a form showing all assts and liabilities resulting from the marriage and then a fianancial settlement will be negotiated between the solicitors. It is highly probably that his ex will receive a share of his inheritiance althought there is no guarantee she will receive 50%.
            The deed you mention is this when they came to seel the fathers property?
            What did the will say?

A good resource for divorce and finance is www.ondivorce.co.uk

Comment

Ill have to check the what the will states and what was done with the solictors.

This may be a thick question but can it be as simple as my friend giving his share of the money as a gift to say his brother then the x wife would have no claim to it?

Comment

Originally posted by killersla View Post
                Ill have to check the what the will states and what was done with the solictors.

This may be a thick question but can it be as simple as my friend giving his share of the money as a gift to say his brother then the x wife would have no claim to it?
                No they have been married for a long time and have a child. If it was that simple everyone would be doing it.
                A DJ would not look kindly on him giving his assets away to deprive his child of some extra maintenance, equally he will not look to share 50/50 an inheritance that has come after seperation and has only been recently introduced into the fathers financial affairs.

Comment

ok thanks for all the info guys.

regards

Comment

Sorry but she will no doubt get a share as she was your partner, cost me a lot when I lost everything, the child will probably have to be considered as well, even if it is not your fault (Breakdown), she wouldn!t be in early 40"s would she? as I found out they can go on the change and look for a way out to their advantage,

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                    Working...
                    X