• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Halifax Overdraft Charges from 6th Dec

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Halifax Overdraft Charges from 6th Dec

Hi are Halifax discriminating against people they perceive in financial hardship.
    When i didn't use my cc they were contacting me all the time with special 0% promotions
    Recently I have been using it and made a few cash withdrawals - one to pay a loan - a temporary situation and all of a sudden I got a letter to say my rate was changing to 26.5%. I transferred the debt to MBNA rather than give Halifax another penny and when i threatened to transfer they said they would stop the rate change but I was so disgusted I transferred anyway, I have always made payments on time.

Now they have sent a letter saying they will be charging £1 per day on all overdrafts under £2500 and £2 per day over that amount, £5 per day on unauthorised od from 6th Dec.

I have an overdraft for £550 I can pay it off I think but its the principle I wasn't foreseeing this, I don't think I fit hardship definition except for cc cash withdrawals..
    If you can put £1000 pm into the bank they will give you a fee free overdraft
    but again I think this is discriminating against poor people who aren't in a position to do this.

Any advice

Re: Halifax Overdraft Charges from 6th Dec

Hiya xx

I think the £1000 pcm in to the account is to earn the £5 and get the £300 'free' overdraft (ie only interest charged on it) but to have that account costs you £12.50 a month. So that automatically excludes low incomes and hardship customers. I dont think you get the £300 overdraft just by having over £1000 into the account each month.

Do you still use the HbOs account or is it just sitting there in overdraft ? Yes I think £30 a month is too much to have an authroised overdraft if you live in it. So I think paying it off is a good idea and/or moving your account elsewhere. (RBS seems a good option charges wise).

Ame
    xx
    #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

Originally posted by Amethyst View Post
      Hiya xx

I think the £1000 pcm in to the account is to earn the £5 and get the £300 'free' overdraft (ie only interest charged on it) but to have that account costs you £12.50 a month. So that automatically excludes low incomes and hardship customers. I dont think you get the £300 overdraft just by having over £1000 into the account each month.

Do you still use the HbOs account or is it just sitting there in overdraft ? Yes I think £30 a month is too much to have an authroised overdraft if you live in it. So I think paying it off is a good idea and/or moving your account elsewhere. (RBS seems a good option charges wise).

Ame
      xx
      Ame

Thank you for your reply.
      I use the account mainly for direct debits so keep it topped up by a certain amount each month.Would another bank let you switch account with that amount in overdraft or is it at their discretion.I can pay it this time but just to know in case it happens again and I might not be in a position to pay,it seems banks can just spring these things on you.

I do feel Halifax are targeting those they perceive to be in financial difficulties from my cc experience with them- probably some fat cat wants a bigger bonus this year.

Comment

Personally, I;d stay away from overdrafts in future.

If you can pay this off this time, don't have a new one, keep a £0.00 balance as £0.00. Have a £50 overdraft in place as a buffer for your DDs if you feel it is necessary. But always account for it the next month and adjust budgeting to repay the overdraft and get back to above £0

Remember an overdraft can only be used ONCE. It is an expensive loan, especially at the new £1 a day rates (unless you thrash it up to £2499 then its quite a cheap loan lol but don't do that).

(sorry if that sounds all preachy its not meant to be)
        #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

As I'm unemployed, I've contacted the Halifax to claim back charges (including interest) of £720.14 only to be told that ALL claims are on hold pending the outcome of the Court Case!

Comment

Originally posted by MummyLois View Post
            As I'm unemployed, I've contacted the Halifax to claim back charges (including interest) of £720.14 only to be told that ALL claims are on hold pending the outcome of the Court Case!
            Do you have priority debt arrears(mortgage or rent, council tax, utilities)?

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
            Working...
            X