• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

mums benefits

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• mums benefits

Hi there just want to clarify this.

Mum has Attendance Allowance, Ive been advised by benefit agencies no one is allowed to add this into any type of calculation for mums general living as it is purely for some one to attend and to help out with mums daily living.

The benefits ladies concern was to get Attendance allowance you have to have lived with your disability for 6 months, there for mum was living and financially supporting her disability well into the six months at the time she was written a loan. This is where the overdrafts came into this case. they substitute her income.

My mums loan thread is updated regular it is why i have to ask these questions now :-)

http://www.legalbeagles.info/forums/...3833#post23833

Mum has just been processed for Housing benefit and Council tax Benefit

She could also do a claim for Pension Credit

Any one got any experience with these benefits, can a bank take these into consideration when doing mums I&E and debit.

Thank you for any help.

Pam

update ...
    Ive found this on here
    187.—(1) Subject to the provisions of this Act, every assignment of or charge on—
    • (b) any income-related benefit
    So any extra money mum is now getting can not be used in calculations???? or can not be taken???
    As she gets pensions won't they say we are taking the money from your own money half of your income not your benefit half.

any tips thanks xx

PS FOS do not know that benefits are not allowed to be used, what a joke!
    Last edited by pam1; 4th September 2007, 08:57:AM.

Re: mums benefits

I think they can take into account the benefits as these are incomes that replace a wage/pay. But they should just cancel them selves out
    ie housing benefit goes against Rent
    Council tax benefit goes against Council tax

These are both priority payments on a IE sheet

I agree with not be allowed to use Attendance allowance as this is to pay a carer or the like.

That is only my opinion as I dont have experience in benefits

Comment

god your quick on the keyboard

Ok thanks, when mum gets this benefit her own money will increase, this is what they want to take into account now, not what mum had at the time of the loan.

Just wondered how it works, i see what you mean now, she wont actually get the benefit in hand it will be straight to her accounts, so her cash in hand of pension residue will grow.

ok Got ya. chances are FOS won't help her now then. :-( they will say she has enough im sure.

Comment

If she gets Housing benefit and council tax benefit, she won't actually get the money, as such, the amount of benefits awarded will just be used to reduce the amount payable. So if she gets full housing benfit she won't pay any rent, if she gets 50% she'll have to pay half rent, etc. There will be no actual money changing hands, so there wouldn't be any money from these going into bank account.
        Is no longer here

Comment

Thanks Wendy the penny has now dropped, means the FOS will now see what she has to live on now, as they don't want to know what she was living on when Lloyd's wrote her loan. She is naturally better off now, i hope they do something, at least lower amount to be paid a month.

thanks

Pam

Comment

Mums income as @ Sep 2006

Income weekly September 2006 £183.44

Government states mum needs a level of £156.20

This is due to mum living with a disability as you do in old age.

This left mum with £26 a week (£104 a month)

Minus the loan of £11.25 (£46.00 a month)

This Left mum with only £14.75 a week before she even steps out side her front door. (£58.00 a month)

So Irrespective of the change in her circumstances now, Lloyds were happy to leave mum with £15 a week to live on for the next 4 years.

Lloyds could only predict that mums earning power was gone and her income would not increase.

They can not predict benefits being applied in the future.

Why are the banks not in tune with the allowance a person has as a level of finance to live on by their status through the government?

Surely if an I&E sheet is correct for a pensioner shouldn’t there be a basic amount left above this stated level to qualify for a loan.

Not all pensioners are the same boat, and their incomes would show if they were in a better position.

How the hell can the FOS ignore this, its frightening.:devil:

update .. just sent an email to AGE Concern, lets see if they are.
            Last edited by pam1; 4th September 2007, 12:24:PM.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
            Working...
            X