• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Another Vs. Welcome Finance

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another Vs. Welcome Finance

Hi all! Been lurking in the shadows for a while and finally taken the plunge, 'cos I really need help! I'm sorry that I've posted so many questions about this, but I really need to get it all straight in my head, before I start going forward and doing anything about it.

OK - So, I took out a HP agreement with Welcome Finance in August 2005. In January 2006, one payment was missed (DD was declined) but the day after it was declined, I went into the local office and paid the equivalent sum. At this time, I also changed the DD date for subsequent payments (from 1st of month, to 28th of month), to make things more convenient for me. This is the only payment that was missed; all others have been on time, and in full.

So far, so good.

The loan was for 48 months, so by now (end of Sept 2009) the debt should be settled. I called WF on 29/09/09 to check that the payment made the day before was the last one, and that I could cancel the DD.

WF informed me that there was an outstanding balance of ~£240, that had accrued because of the change in payment date back in 2006. I was told, that despite the original credit agreement saying that payment was due on 1st of month, that the actual date that WF were expecting payments was 9th month - therefore, by paying on 28th month, I have been three weeks late with my payment every month since February 2006.

Now, here's the rub - WF lady says that it will all be in my T&C's from the original agreement (which are attached, and I can't find anything that specifically says this) and that I will have been informed of this accrual of interest when I changed the payment date (which I wasn't - I wasn't even sent confirmation that the date would be changed).

Also, checking my credit file; WF recorded one month in arrears in Feb 2006 (I don't think this is right - the change in DD was mutually agreed, so why was the account is in arrears.. the payment went out in February, as it should have in light of the DD date change.) For every other month, it shows the account as being up to date.

So - following the conversation with WF, I've sent the attached letter (Query letter to WF) and am still awaiting a reply. Having now read so many of the posts on here, I think I've been too soft with them, and would appreciate some guidance; specifically: -

1. Can they actually charge me for things that are not clearly laid down in the original agreement?

2. How long must I wait before I follow up the letter I have already sent, and get more unpleasant with them?

3. Why are there 2 different interest rates quoted (APR 30.5%, and "rate of interest on credit: 15% per annum")

4. The "total amount payable" is different to the total amount actually paid by summing each monthly payment (48 x £257.57) The difference is ~£50.

5. I've read elsewhere that they are not allowed to put PPI in "total amount of credit" - have they done this in my case, or is it all laid out correctly? If they have done something wrong here - what? What can I do about it?

To help, I've attached copies of the original agreement and the associated T&C's.

Again, sorry guys for the number of questions, especially since it's my first post, but like I said above, I really do want my eyes to be completely open before I say or do anything else with WF.

Grrr..... tearing my hair out! Please help!

Re: Another Vs. Welcome Finance

There was no deposit paid is that correct ?

The total credit does include the insurance but it is okay as it is broken down, it shows cash price of both goods and insurance, charge for credit (interest) on both, and the loan amount for both which all appears to add up.

Would have to get the calculator out to check the insurances dont have any commissions etc hidden away, but at first glance it looks okay to me, but then I'm not an expert.If no one else fancies it then I will have a look in the morning, my maths brains shut down for the evening now lol.

With regards to the date...when you changed from the 1st to the 28th was that as well as paying the missed/late payment. IE was the 28th actually 3/4 days earlier rather than 27 days later ?

You will need a full statement from them showing all your payments and check your records exactly when installments were paid the entire period of the loan. See if somehow you ended up with 27 days later than 3/4 days earlier and whether this was down to them.
    #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

Amethyst, thanks for the quick reply!

You're correct - there was no deposit paid.

"Would have to get the calculator out to check the insurances dont have any commissions etc hidden away, but at first glance it looks okay to me, but then I'm not an expert.If no one else fancies it then I will have a look in the morning, my maths brains shut down for the evening now lol."

Sounds interesting - I don't mind doing the maths to see whether there's some commission hidden somewhere - but how would I start wtih this?

"With regards to the date...when you changed from the 1st to the 28th was that as well as paying the missed/late payment. IE was the 28th actually 3/4 days earlier rather than 27 days later ?"

OK, so the payment bounced on 03/01/06; I paid over the counter on 05/01/06 and at the same time also changed the payment date to 28th of month. The next payment went out on 28/02/06.

So, it was 7 weeks between payments (05/01/06 and then 28/02/06), so I suppose looking at it that way, the payment was 27 days late (should have been paid on 01/02/06). BUT - the change in payment date was authorised by WF (they amended the DD), so why are they claiming it was one month in arrears?

Also, the person on the phone from WF who kept saying that the actual payment 'due date' was 9th month, says that as long as a payment is received at some point in a calendar month, then WF are happy.
      Well, plotting it out on a calendar; they have had a payment every calendar month since the loan began. And, where does this magic 9th come from? It's not on any of the loan documents? Can they set a due date that is different on their system than it is on my loan documents?

Furthermore, there was certainly never any mention that the account would accrue interest if I made this change of payment date - if there had been, I would have either left things as they were, or asked to make a bigger payment to clear the interest on the next payment date. (Grrrrrrr!!!)

So... I need a statement of the A/C with WF. I know that this is something that the FSA require companies to provide (I've never had one from WF though). Is there a fee associated with getting said statement? Who am I best approaching from WF to get this? Local branch or Nottingham head office? Are there statutory time-scales for them to provide this statement?

Again... lots of questions - but thanks for the help, greatly appreciated!

Comment

Whoop whoop! HAve spoken to WF today, and they have agreed that these charges should not have been applied to my A/C - they are reversing them and the A/C will be closed! Brilliant... let's hope they stick to it!

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
        Working...
        X