• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Claiming from council for damage to car

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Claiming from council for damage to car

Hi Everybody,

Just over a month ago I was looking around my local town for a parking space to do a job (I'm a field engineer so go to different locations).

I'd looked round one of the borough council's car parks and was exiting through the designated exit lane and over the top of an 'alligator' speed bump that they have installed.

For those that don't know, this is a vicious looking speed bump with about 8-10 sprung 4" metal teeth to stop people driving in the wrong way. The idea is that they fold down as you go over the top of them in the right direction and I assume bite in to your tyres and stop you if you go the wrong way.

As I slowly exited this lane (bearing in mind it exits on to a busy seafront roundabout and you have to go slowly to give way), I heard a pop and a loud hiss. I knew immediately what had happened but couldn't stop as I was in the path of traffic.

I continued round the corner to a small side road where I could safely stop and inspect the car, and whilst driving could feel that a rear tyre was flat.

On removal and inspection of the now very flat nearside rear tyre, there was a roughly 3" slash right through the inside sidewall. The angle was exactly the same as a raised tooth and there's no doubt that my tyre was damaged by one of said teeth.

As it happened, I was visiting the office where the Borough Council parking and highways team are based (I work for county council). Once in there I politely asked who I could speak to regarding the matter and was passed in the direction of a couple of employees. I explained what had happened to them. They immediately sent a 'technician' to go and look at the speed bump and he reported that it looked fine and other cars weren't having problems. They also arranged for a parking attendant to meet me at my car to photograph the damaged tyre in my boot. I was aked to send a letter explaing the incident to their head of parking, which I duly did that evening.

Two weeks later I had no reply, and knowing they have guidelines in which to reply I sent an e-mail to the complaints department who followed it up and informed me that the issue had been passed to their insurer, Zurich and I would have to wait for them to reply.

This lunchtime when I popped home, there was a letter from Zurich on the mat. Once opened, I was greeted with a short paragraph saying that since their technician had visited and seen no problem, they were not going to pay up. No asking for more information, no other explanation, just a NO.

I am absolutely fuming about this as the tyre and fitting has set me back around £160 and the damaged tyre was barely worn so would have lasted a lot longer.

Basically, and sorry for the long story, what on earth do I do next??

I'm thinking of replying and threatening small claims court, plus writing to my local councillor and the local newspaper. But I thought I would take a breath and ask the advice of you much more sensible people
    Mark.

Claims in progress:
    Cahoot - PPI and charges, have agreed to refund PPI and interest! Have put charges on hold..
    AA Loan - Claiming unfair charges, waiting for CCA..
    AA Credit Card - Claiming unfair charges, have offered difference, waiting for CCA..
    Vanquis - Claiming unfair charges, waiting for CCA..

The clock is ticking!

Re: Claiming from council for damage to car

Did you keep the old tyre?

Sounds like you might need to issue a letter before court action on this one.
    The charges coming in to the banking industry every day will more than pay the banks total legal bill for the whole test case so why wouldn’t the Banks want to "ensure Justice at the highest level"

Comment

Re: Claiming from council for damage to car

Hi Robster, yes I kept the tyre as I thought I might need it for evidence. I've also taken some good hi-res photos of it on and off of the wheel.

Who should I send a LBA to, the council or the insurers, or both?
      Mark.

Claims in progress:
      Cahoot - PPI and charges, have agreed to refund PPI and interest! Have put charges on hold..
      AA Loan - Claiming unfair charges, waiting for CCA..
      AA Credit Card - Claiming unfair charges, have offered difference, waiting for CCA..
      Vanquis - Claiming unfair charges, waiting for CCA..

The clock is ticking!

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
      Working...
      X