• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

pet insurance claim

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• pet insurance claim

Its a long story, so bear with me!!

Our dog required surgery on his back leg - he had a condition called Left Hnd Medial Patella Luxation which required corrective surgery.

I contacted the insurance company (Virgin) and they said that as the cost was going to be over £500 it would need to be pre authorised. I had to fil in a claim form and then get the vet to fill in their bit with an itemised bill of what would need to be paid for (medication, tests, surgery etc).

The vets did this and Virgin wrote back agreeing to the claim of upto the cost of £1425.93 for the proposed treatment.

Jazzy was booked in for the op, but it turned out he had a serious infection and the sugery couldn't go ahead, instead he needed treatment for the infection. Jazzy was then booked in a 2nd time, another blood test was carried out to ensure that the infection was gone - but it wasn't so op was post poned.

On the 3rd attempt Jazzy was finally infection clear and the op went ahead.

I submitted a claim for the infection treatment and was paid in full by the insurance company (this was just under £300, but once excess was taken off they paid me £235)

The vets submitted the claim for the op to the insurance company - their bill was 1394.11, so less than the pre authorisation, especially as i had to pay £60 excess, so th figure claied was actually £1334.11. The insurance company has now refused to pay for the blood test stating that

Kindly note that as the terms of the policy do not extend to cover fees in respect of routine or preventative items, fees for pre op bloods have been ecluded as it is deemed by the underwritters t fall under this category. We would also note that 3 tests had previously been done in August 2009.

The vet checked the paperwork and the blood test was included in the pre authorisation paperwork and no mention was made in the acceptance letter that the blood tests would not be included, although it does say

We are pleased to confir that treatment may go ahead to the agreed esitimated sum, and that this wil be covered subject to the T&C of your policy.

The costs of the test is £55.30 and the blood test was absolutely neessary as the vet needed to be sure that the infection was completely out of Jazzy's system as it would have been dangerous for Jazzy to undergo the op.

What do you suggest i do - should i call the insurance company and explain this? If they rejet the bloods under the op claim, could i claim under the infection claim as it could be argued that the test was bnecessary to check the infection had cleared completely??

All/Any advice is very gratefully received!!!

Re: pet insurance claim

So 2 blood tests were in with the infection claim, is that right?
    Your claim for the infection was paid in full less your excess?

The 3rd blood test they are refusing to pay out for as they say it is routine or a preventative item?

IMO the third blood test should have been included in the first claim as this was a conclusion to that treatment.

Then leaving the whole of the op as the second claim, if indeed they then would do a routine blood test before the op then I think you would have to pay for that as it looks like that is not covered in your policy.

Comment

No, 3 blood tests were done in August. One to diagnose the illness and then the other 2 to check the treatment was effective.

Although Jazzy initially responded to the treatment the infection kept re occuring, so the vet wouldn't go ahead with the op unless the blood came back clear.

They are claiming it is pre op, but it wasn't as such it was necessary to ensure the infection was gone.

Comment

Originally posted by fuzzybrain View Post
        No, 3 blood tests were done in August. One to diagnose the illness and then the other 2 to check the treatment was effective.

Although Jazzy initially responded to the treatment the infection kept re occuring, so the vet wouldn't go ahead with the op unless the blood came back clear.

They are claiming it is pre op, but it wasn't as such it was necessary to ensure the infection was gone.
        Well as I read it then it should as I said be part of the first claim and not the second.
        Total blood test in 1st claim 3
        None in second claim just the op

Comment

Thanks Enaid. I've rung them and they have said that if the vet writes a letter stating that the blood test was needed in respect of the infection then they will look at it again.

Will let you know what happens next........

Comment

Well knock me down with a feather and call my auntie bob - they paid out!!! they agreed that the blood test was a necessary procedure and they have sent the vets a cheque

I'm happy, the vets are happy, and jasper (the dog!!) just wants more treats!!

Just waiting for his left leg to heal completely then he is back up the vets to have his right leg done now - thats another £1,500 claim to the insurance company - ouch!!!

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
            Working...
            X