• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

private letting agency

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• private letting agency

My daughter and her friend wanted to rent a flat together. They found a flat they liked and it was in hands of property letting agents.
    We foned and were told to go down with £20 deposit and photo identification to get keys and go view it which we did.
    My daughter and her pal wanted the flat so were given applications and told to hand them back with 2 previous wage slips and also reference from employers with the deposit money and as soon as that was done the lady would then stop all viewings on the property until they checked out the paperwork.
    We were told that my daughter would get keys today because no one else was showing interest in the flat anyways and it only takes 3 days to check things out.
    Anyways, we foned today and were told that the owner has decided to show 2 more viewers around the flat today so the application for my daughter and her pal was put on hold until they heard back from the owner.
    I reminded the lady that she said the viewings would be stopped wen we put in deposit and also that if the property was in her companies hands, how can the owner come along and change things to suit himself after my daughter and her pal had done everythin right and were basically under the impression they had the flat as of today..... She told me she had to wait on call from the owner tomorrow to see wat he has decided but my daughter is heartbroken now and had expected to be in her new flat by end of weekend......
    Can they do this?..... I thought if it was in property agents hands they couldnt change things?... Also, if he did show others around the flat, my daughter and pal had their application in first so surely they have the first offer on it coz apparently it takes 3 days to check applications so my daughters is basically done but because owner has decided to change things, my daughter may lose out after basically bein led to believe it would be hers.
    Is there anything we can do if they dont give my daughter the flat coz the letting agent lady said she checked the applications and everythin was fine till the owner foned her.
    Surely he cant do that after placin it in property agents
    All help and advice much appreciated on this....thanx

Re: private letting agency

can anyone help please......thanx

Comment

Unless she has signed a contract I don't think there is much they can do.

She can complain to the letting agent and threaten to make a complaint to ARLA (if they are a member) but to be completely honest if they are being iffy already do you really want your daughter renting off them?
      Dragging myself and my family back into the light with the help of Beagles.

My Hardship Claim
      Me VS Abbey Win
      BIL HSBC Credit Card
      BIL EGG
      BIL HSBC Loan
      BIL PPI Win

Comment

i agree with mocha, until they have signed an agreement, the owners can let whoever they wish view the property, i dont think you can sue because your daughter is "heartbroken" lol

sorry

Comment

Just a thought though... has your daughter paid anything towards an application fee or such like?
          My Blog
          http://cabotfanclub.wordpress.com

Comment

£25 administration fee has been paid...thanx everyone...maybe it best to go elsewhere like ye say...thanx guys

Comment

I have a house that I rent out, I have used an agent for doing the paperwork, credit checks and references, when our tennent paid his £100 admin fee all viewings were stopped until the checks came back ok.
              Obviously thats just in our case, not sure if its mandatory across the board though. Why don't you call a different agent and ask them.

Comment

If the owner has signed an agreement with the letting agent, then I would think it be wrong for the owner to take round potential tennants, as he would be undercutting the agent so to speak.
                I would check with the agent and see what he has to say.

Comment

Need to check the conditions of the admin fee. Was it related to just that property, or is it going into the agent? Seems unfair if he has accepted a fee, but isn't following through with his side of things, unless it can be used against another property.

Bear in mind though, that there would probably be a considerably higher fee relating to credit searches etc. Which seems to be the norm and I find particularly galling.
                  My Blog
                  http://cabotfanclub.wordpress.com

Comment

I would most certainly be expecting this agent to refund this £25 under the circumstances.

P.P.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                    Working...
                    X