• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Out of Warranty Computer Saga

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Out of Warranty Computer Saga

I have a Fujitsu Siemens Computer, ( got it start of December 2005, 3rd) and last Friday 9th December 2005, the motherboard appears to have died. I spoke to FS and was told that the machine is out of warrenty and a new board will cost about £95 pounds and will be available in about 2 weeks. Is this reasonable and what can I cite to lend weight to any conversation I have with Fujitsu.

To make the scenario more interesting, the computer was supplied (via Comet) following a house insurance claim.

Am I right in thinking

1/ I should first approach Comet
    2/ Rather than them taking the machine to repair I am happy to install the replacement board if they will supply it.

Comment

I spoke to Comet and they pointed me straight at the warrenty dept who cited it was unfortunate but was out of warrenty and I would have to talk to FS. I did this and they pointed me back at Comet. (It made for an interesting Lunch break, but I remained calm)

I went back to Comet, would only talk to Customer Care at head office and they accessed all the history to date, I had some advice and guidence on the Sale of Goods Act by this stage, a very helpful person there called Hannah (sorry didn't get her surname) passed me to their Investigatons Team and to cut a long story they have accepted that they "have a duty to repair the machine" as it did not meet the durability one should expect from it.

I can expect a call tomorrow to to have the machine inspected and repaired.

I will let you know progress as it happens.

The number I called was 08705-425-425 then option 4 then 2 and I would only talk to Customer Care.

Comment

Can put this to bed now,

It took a while but I can accept that Xmas slowed things down and they had to wait for delivery of a new motherboard.

The engieer arrived and took the machine away, it was tested and fault (as above identified) then they had to order the part which arrived yesterday, was installed and tested same day and the computer is on its way back to us today.

I feel well satisfied and thanks to all who lent advise and support.

It is definatly important not to give up at the first fob off and allways speak to the organ grinder and not the monkey!!

Cheers

BB

Comment

Re: Out of Warranty Computer Saga

Sorry for being missing folks, but suffered the same problem as above with this machine, motherboard and graphics card failure round the last week of June.

Had an open and frank discussion with Comet and was basically told the machine was out of warrenty and there was nothing they would do.

Took the PC into PC World to try a system restore etc, and they confirmed the Graphics Card and MB Failure, I did get them to put this in writing.

Managed to speak to the "Multimedia Manager", a very nice Irish chap (not biased at all) who was very helpful with their responsabilities under the SOGA, advised me that if the machine could be shown to be "unsatisfactory" by an independant assessment then they, Comet, would have to do something about it.

Got back onto the Comet "Investigations team, and outlined my problem and their responsabilities, sadly they wouldn't take the PC World assessment and had to check for themselves, so it dragged on longer than planned.

However, they have taken responsability, replaced the faulty parts, returned the machine to me today and have sent a cheaque to cover the costs incurred in getting PC World to look at the machine.

Am drafting a letter to the MD of Comet because I feel like it.

Downside though is that PC World wiped all the data on the harddrive so not wntirely happy with them.

Comment

At least you got a result and you're back with us! - good to see you.

If I can help with anything missing let me know

Comment

Spoke too soon me thinks ian (lol)

The machine they repaired fell over on the 7th, (3 weeks after being returned to me), they sent an engineer out on the Monday who confirmed that once again the motherboard had gone.

You can prob surmise that I was getting a tad tired of this.

Same day I asked Mrs Biting ( not sure if thats sounds right) to send an e-mail For The attention of Hugh Harvey at Comet, (The MD).

Next day I received a call from the Directors Office (Nice title but basically a harder to find call center). Spoke to Angela Hastings there and discried my issues (in detail I have to admit). She went away to find out what was going on.

Called me back and offered to repair the PC (again) as this was what the Multimedia manager (Chris Hill) would approve.

I suggested that I was not happy with this solution and told her I wanted a replacement machine, also they should consider what they could offer to calm my ruffled feathers over the 5 months of downtime I experienced in the last 9 months. Needless to say she didn't offer her anything.

I then (politely) enquired if this was Hugh Harveys response to the questions I had asked him?

Needless to say the e-mail had not reached him, and the same people were making decisions on this problem as had made the decisions before. I reminded Angela of my requirements and also the since I had sent a communication to Hugh I expected a response from him.

She said I would have the response in 2/3 days.

As of Friday no response from HH but I did get a call from the Directors Office on Thursday to say they were replacing the machine and would I like to go to a local store and select on to the same value.

I am now writhing this on the new machine however I still have some gripes with Comet, namely:

All Comets current machines are shipped with Vista installed, Not a route I wanted to go down as yet and I am now forced to change software (and prob incur expense on this)

Also I am still waiting for Hugh Harveys response.

When I get a further minute I will list all contact names and phone numbers involved in this saga.

Hopefully now I'M BACK

BB

Comment

You have a new machine, very probably with a faster processor, more RAM and a larger hard disk - what can Hugh Harvey say to you that will make you any happier?

Furthermore, whether you believe so or not, Windows Vista will be regarded as an upgrade from XP, or whatever you were using previously and therefore you cannot reasonably argue that you have been put to any expense should you wish to "downgrade."

I would suggest that Comet have discharged their liability to you and then some and there comes a point where you need to consider what you are continuing this for.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                Working...
                X