• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Barclays new £8 charge!!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Barclays new £8 charge!!

my D/D bounce and I get charged (in my understanding) £8 per day of bounces. BUT if a card payment has been made and put into a suspense account and then on the day before they manage to bounce the D/D the company decide to claim it and it is officially removed from your account that's when they send the letter stating that there's not enough money. I do think this is a complete con as because it's somethign different to the bounced D/D I believe they may (dont hold my word for it) charge it again? Anyhow... I have to admit I prefer the £8 from them a day rather than the £32 per item from the Abbey

I still think it's a complete rip off though... honestly... does it really cost £8 a day to bounce somethign and if it's in a holding account... then they've already got the money should be no issue.
    ------------------------------- merged -------------------------------
    oh and be careful of somethign else I've found out... and been stung by (via the abbey but been told it's not the only bank doing it...) if someone is paid regularly by Debit card for instance the RAC... even if you cancel the card they will still authorise the payment as a regular payment. I had this even though there was no money in my account at one point... no overdraft available, no nothing but instead of refusing it they authorised it because it was a regular card payment. You have to cancel these with the person taking the money because even if you cancel the card with the bank it will still get through... This I think is REALLY bad. and the abbey are not the only ones allowing this... I know Barclays and Lloyds do it too...
    Last edited by stargazerforest; 1st September 2009, 18:24:PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

I personally believe that if you have made a payment using your debit card adn that has been agreed and authrorised byt he bank then this has been done with your own funds available and transaction should has been agreed on that day and the money is then placed in a suspense account for a period of 10 days depending on your bank if it is now claimed then it is placed back into the account holders available funds.

But thinking about this logically, if you make a payment using your debit card it will go through if you have available funds so it should not be classed as a guranteed transaction.

However if you go to make a purchase knowing you dont have the funds and the banks decides to honour this on your behalf then this should then become a guranteed transaction and the bank will charge for this as per their t &c's.

On the other hand though, you make purchases using your available funds, it goes into suspense account so you cant spend it again..you have a d/d that takes you over your agreed limits the banks bounce your d/d cos of insufficent funds and then whack out letters to you because of your pending transactions stating they are now guranteed by the bank and they now have to charge you £8 for each one up to 5 per day due to d/d that took you over your limits which they bounced and bought your account back into agreed limits even though payment for the debit card transactions have already been agreed and honoured.

In another case, try and spend with no funds in your account and you are told to refer to card issuer as insuffieceint funds are available or your card has been declined and you are to try another one.

So what exactly are they guranteeing???????? nothing when payment has already been agreed and paid, abeit they received 3 days later but it is taken from your available funds to prevent re spending..

Comment

Hiya again

Sorry for going on but am having trouble understanding whats going on

Say your account is in credit of £100

You make 2 purchases of £40 each by debit card

These come off your available balance straight away leaving you £20

You withdraw £20 in cash

your available balance now shows as £0

Couple days later and no other transactions take place then a DD for £50 is presented, and subsequently bounced by the bank.

You are saying they are charging you £8 for the bounced DD AND £16 for the two Debit card payments?
        #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

Originally posted by Amethyst View Post
          Hiya again

Sorry for going on but am having trouble understanding whats going on

You withdraw £20 in cash

Couple days later and no other transactions take place then a DD for £50 is presented, and subsequently bounced by the bank.

You are saying they are charging you £8 for the bounced DD AND £16 for the two Debit card payments?

YES!!!!! OMG YES!!!! AME that is what I am saying and has been happening for months!!!!

Comment

Well that is completely wrong.

If you have some statements which illustrate this happening would be good to see them.
            #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Comment

are the types charges listed as something different on your statements?
              "What makes the desert beautiful is that somewhere it hides a well." - Antione de Saint Exupery

"Always reach for the moon, if you miss you'll end up among the stars"

Comment

I have proof as all the charges have been posted to my account and they send me letters telling me they have bounced a d/d and are going to charge me £8 for this and then I get another batch of letters telling as they are now guranteeing my debit transactions they are going to charge me £8 each for those up to 5 per day.

I will post all details for you Ame

Since they started this new £8 charge I have queried this and raised the same concerns with managers and the like and they all agree with me. They look at my account and say, you are in within your funds, why have we charged you????
                I say thats what I want to know..pass me to some other robotic person who is adamant that the charges apply and will stay and they will collecting.

So closed down all DD payments and stopped all my money going into it..I got fed up with being charged each month!!! was costing a small fortune!!!

The woman i spoke to quote " said, when you use your debit card to make a payment, we are guaranteeing it from that moment you use it! so we therefore have a right to charge you!!! I said " have a debit card!! not a flamin credit card!!! I can only spend what is available, so it should not be guaranteed!! I said it should only be guaranteed when I use it with no funds in the account and you agree to honour the purchase!!! all of their managers I spoke to agreed with me..But the ball stopped with the a**hole of a robot who was kinda of like tough!! I want yout money so I`m going to have to it so to speak!!!

This is how they list them on my account when they take the payments each month

24/08/2009 Debit -£64.00
                CHARGES
                GUARANTEED FEE
                5 @ £8.00 £40.00 RETURNED FEE 3 @ £8.00 £24.00 30JUN/30JUL **********************

I honeslty and would be willing to stake my life it has been happening to others as well who have been given the same brush off treatment!!
                Last edited by Ladidi; 1st September 2009, 22:04:PM.

Comment

I think I would be making an official complaint and off to the FOS .Does not sound right to me.

I am just in the middle of closing my A&L account and then will be putting in my claim with them as well.

I am sick to death of them. They have on occasions charged me for not paying a DD - and then paying it ( when balance has not changed ) and charging me again. there is also a daily charge for being OD . And then it got into the vicious circle of not enough money going in to cover charges and then more charges.

On a lighter note Cahoot who are same of the same group - and who I have my other current account with I find VERY helpful and have had no problems with at all.

On my Debit card transactions the funds seem to go out almost instantly and I have never seen anything like you describe above.
                  "What makes the desert beautiful is that somewhere it hides a well." - Antione de Saint Exupery

Comment

hmmmm

Just seen this about Halifax

Also why was I charged for bounced DEBIT CARD charges, surely they just say sorry this person doesnt have the funds, "Insufficient Funds" and the transactions is cancelled. Never heard of anyone being billed for an "insufficient funds" transaction on a debit card transaction, surely that in itself is just plain wrong?
                    #staysafestayhome

Comment

I personally belive they are all trying to claim back monies by other means and methods.

Same way as they did with the bank charges when they first came about, you have breached our terms and conditions and so we will charge you for this, blah, blah and then took for one person to make a difference and then that was it which resulted in the court case, so they try to make themselves look good by re writing their terms and conditions and changing the "price" to which they charge but still making charges for rediculous claims!!!!

Ame out of couriosity, can we start a new forum page and highlight it, NEW BANK CHARGES or whatever, just to see if anyone else who is banking with who ever is having the same or similar problems then perhaps someone could bring all of this light with FOS or at least gain and avenue in which we can all go down which clearly shows the banks are blatantly "robbing" us again!!! but using new methods in which to do so.

I mean if we think about how they have bought out their new terms and conditions, other may see this as being right but much better than how it was before, but it's not!!! They are making charges for just about everything to do with running your bank account no matter which way you use it!!!

Comment

YEs that might be an idea.

Dont go in too heavy - if the amounts were under shop floor limit then they are guaranteed debit payments and if they didnt go out till they would take the amounts to unauthorised overdraft then they would legitimately incur a charge - so we need to get our facts straight.

On your situation with the available balance etc its more clear cut but still uncertain.
                        #staysafestayhome

Comment

Ame I personally feel that no matter how much you have used it for, makes no difference as the monies comes as you spend it.

This is what I see happening - as you said -

You withdraw £20 in cash

they make a charge for the bounced D/D which according to their T & C's is right according them becuase you account now looks like this

Account balance £80

Available balance -£50 - This is due to D/D transaction

So the banks systems whacks out a letter telling you are now overdrawn and your D/D has been declined and the system also looks at the pending transactions and whacks out 2 letters telling you they are now Guaranteeing those so you have pay them £16 for this - BUT

your account balance will still have the £80 pending to cover those, so they are not being guaranteed at all!!!

Comment

good idea - It might be worth us all who have had charges recently taking a closer look.

Comment

Banks send out letters telling you your d/d or chq has been returned, I Must admit they use to years ago, not seen any sign for years of these so called letters, Just the Charges.:beagle:

Comment

I have spoken a barclays bank manager today, who I told him the above sceaniro's and he agreed with everything I said. SO I said why are you charging me then?? He said I cannot answer that but we will have an answer for you soon.

I also stated for a transaction to be classed as "Guaranteed debit" by the bank it has to have agreed this when there are no funds in the account. He agreed with me, I also told him that I was told as soon as you use your barclays debit card, barclays deem this as a guaranteed transaction. He said that is incorrect!!!

I said well, I will wait the outcome of this supposed fact finding you are doing. They could not give me a time scale for when I would have the correct answers.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                                Working...
                                X