• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Barclays new £8 charge!!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Barclays new £8 charge!!

Hi guys and Gals.

I maybe wrong but I am 1000% positive I am right. Let me try and explain and scenario and maybe you guys and gals can either come up with a different conclusion or agree with what Barclays have said and deem the charges collectable..

Month 1

Total payment in £800

01/01 Payment in £800
    01/01 D/D out £300
    01/01 D/D out £150

Available to withdraw £350

01/01 you make some purchases using your debit card to £200
    01/01 £50
    01/01 £90
    01/01 £35
    01/01 £25

Your balance now shows account bal £350

Available to withdraw £150

You then withdraw this as you want to pay for something to this value on 02/01

so your account balance on this day shows £200

Available to withdraw £0

As the £200 is sitting in a suspense account waiting to be collected by the purchaser who you have authroised to collect payment.

now then on 03/01 You have a D/D payment hit your account you completely forgotton about, you know there is no money in your account as it now shows

Month 1

Total payment in £800

01/01 Payment in £800
    01/01 D/D out £300
    01/01 D/D out £150
    02/01 Cash £150

Account bal £200
    Avail to withdraw £0

03/02 D/D £75

This now takes your account balance into negative -£75

bearing in mind you made purchases earlier which have already left your account waiting to clear.

The bank later that day, cancels the D/D instructions and returns the account balance to how it was before the D/D hit it.

But their new crazy system, thinks that as this payment hit your account your pending transactions should now be GUARANTEED and they hit with you £8 charges for each one of them, even though they have already been honoured and paid and are in the banks suspense account system waiting to be collected and as the bank bounced your D/D bearing in mind they are already hitting you with a charge for that and double whammy hitting you for something they are saying they guaranteeing, but never did cos it was paid and your account balance is still within its limits of the terms and conditions.

I have spoken to many managers on this and they all agree with me..But get through to another department they are like bloody robots and insist the money is collectable because as soon you use your debit card for a transaction they guaranteeing the payment and are therefore allowed to charge you for doing so. I said you you are charging customers for using a denit card as if they have a credit card but bear in mind if the customer has no funds in their account the payment would be declined so you are guaranteeing nothing, as payment is agreed with available funds. She refused to budge and said we are not refunding you, end of.

What do you guys and gals think? Am I wrong or am I cluctching at straws?

Re: Barclays new £8 charge!!

I think you are right x
    Dragging myself and my family back into the light with the help of Beagles.

My Hardship Claim
    Me VS Abbey Win
    BIL HSBC Credit Card
    BIL EGG
    BIL HSBC Loan
    BIL PPI Win

Comment

eh ? lol

In my mind you should be charged your £8 for the dd bouncing and thats it.

the debit card payments were made and set aside from your available balance.

If they hadnt been then the DD would have been paid.

is that what you are saying ?
      #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

The card payments are provisional on the company accepting the payment...I know that sounds weird but there are times where for example, a machines times out yet the funds have already been set aside so there is a short period for the merchant to accept the amount and therefore it goes through the account.
        A few years ago I used to pay for gas with a card over the phone. The money was set aside and then went back into the available balance before finally leaving a few days later(cos they continually messed up the initial authorisation).

Comment

Originally posted by Amethyst View Post
          eh ? lol

In my mind you should be charged your £8 for the dd bouncing and thats it.

the debit card payments were made and set aside from your available balance.

If they hadnt been then the DD would have been paid.

is that what you are saying ?
          Well AME I am inclined to agree with you, all they are allowed to charge for is the bounced D/D but in their eyes and their systems, they hit you with a double whammy cos their system is now saying you dont have any funds to cover your pending transactions as your account is now over drawn so we have to therefore charge you £8 for each of the pending transactions that they are now guranteeing.

I would like to place bets on it that there would be more people out there who have experienced this from barclays and a stone wall when they have queried this, or been told that the charge is enforeceable and collectable. Or some who dont understand the complexeties of their new system.

Heck, they now collect their charges on a monthly basis and if they collect that when there is no funds they hit you again, and again if you have pending transactions..
          ------------------------------- merged -------------------------------
          Originally posted by natweststaffmember View Post
          The card payments are provisional on the company accepting the payment...I know that sounds weird but there are times where for example, a machines times out yet the funds have already been set aside so there is a short period for the merchant to accept the amount and therefore it goes through the account.
          A few years ago I used to pay for gas with a card over the phone. The money was set aside and then went back into the available balance before finally leaving a few days later(cos they continually messed up the initial authorisation).
          I agree Natty, however..Once you have paid or agreed the transaction and this has NOT gone back onto your availabe funds to withdraw and it still in the suspense account and your account shows you have not gone over your agreed limits set by their suspposedly terms and conditions, what the heck are they chargeing you for and guaranteeing?????????
          Last edited by Ladidi; 1st September 2009, 09:35:AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

Originally posted by Ladidi View Post
            Well AME I am inclined to agree with you, all they are allowed to charge for is the bounced D/D but in their eyes and their systems, they hit you with a double whammy cos their system is now saying you dont have any funds to cover your pending transactions as your account is now over drawn so we have to therefore charge you £8 for each of the pending transactions that they are now guranteeing.

I would like to place bets on it that there would be more people out there who have experienced this from barclays and a stone wall when they have queried this, or been told that the charge is enforeceable and collectable. Or some who dont understand the complexeties of their new system.

Heck, they now collect their charges on a monthly basis and if they collect that when there is no funds they hit you again, and again if you have pending transactions..
            ------------------------------- merged -------------------------------

I agree Natty, however..Once you have paid or agreed the transaction and this has NOT gone back onto your availabe funds to withdraw and it still in the suspense account and your account shows you have not gone over your agreed limits set by their suspposedly terms and conditions, what the heck are they chargeing you for and guaranteeing?????????
            It is only confirmed when it has fully cleared your account and not when the funds are set aside. It is an important minutiae, ie the transaction shows on your statement with a date and time and location of the transaction and not simply set aside.

Comment

Originally posted by natweststaffmember View Post
              It is only confirmed when it has fully cleared your account and not when the funds are set aside. It is an important minutiae, ie the transaction shows on your statement with a date and time and location of the transaction and not simply set aside.
              Natty, the funds that have been agreed are removed from your account available balance so that you cant spend them again.

IF you have £250 pounds in your account and went online and did some shopping to the tune of £50 that would mean your available balance would now be £200.

You go about your business that day and go the bank to the withdraw, you forget you have spent £50 that day and ask the bank for a withdrawal of £250 they say I am sorry because your account balance is £250 but your available to withdraw is only £200 because you appear to have spent some that day. You appolgise for your error and agree the £200 withdrawal.

So you see, it is impossible to spend or obtain the same amount again and as this has already been agreed, what the heck are they guaranteeing???????

They are guaranteeing nothing because it has been done when funds were available, if you tried to spend £50 at end of that day again, your card would be declined and you would be told to see your card issuer or your bank.

If on the other hand, you had no money in your account at all, and you spent £100 and the bank honoured this, then that would be a guaranteed transaction as you have spent with no money and they bank have agreed to take care of this transaction so therefore a charge of £8 would be applied as per their new t & c's on the new charge rates

Comment

Ladid

How much have they tried to charge you, and how many debit card payments made up the £200.?

Ame
                #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Comment

Ame they do it to hubby and me every month..there is no let up..so I have cancelled all dd's and stopped using their card and now opening new account with hubby

I reckon they owe us £2k if not more since start of this yr, not including earlier charges

Comment

Sorry hun I mean on this specific transaction / issue ?
                    #staysafestayhome

Comment

They charge me and hubby on every transaction they can that we do with our debit card, so we have stopped using it!!

Every month we have a double whammy of we have not paid your d/d due to insufficent funds and have charged you £8 per transaction and also as you have pending transactions and we are now guaranteeing those we will charges £8 for those too up to 5 per day!! Due to D/D hitting account and insufficent funds, that why they say they are now guaranteeing them and feel they should be charging us, even though once they have bounced the direct debit that bring back inside our limits and clears teh pending transactions without the need for them to guarantee them

Comment

Every time you use your debit card regardless of whether you are in credit or not?
                        #staysafestayhome

Comment

YUP!!! everytime we use the debit card we are charged even thou payment goes through at time of transaction, and then a d/d would hit account take us over the limit they would then write and charge us for the bounced d/d and then write and charge us for up to 5 pending transactions per day for using debit card as they say they are guranteeing them, when in reality they are not cos they bounced d/d the money is there and cleared and gone through within agreed limits and lo and behold the next month they help themselves to 5 x £8 and 3 x £8 or whatever has transpired

Comment

Are the debit card card transactions below £50 ?

Can you scan or type up an example of the statement where this is happened ?
                            #staysafestayhome

Comment

Originally posted by Amethyst View Post
                              Are the debit card card transactions below £50 ?

Can you scan or type up an example of the statement where this is happened ?
                              Some are hun, some are not..But it doesn't matter how much they are, the still charge me £8

I had one go through for £5 and they charged me £8 for it as they said the guranteed it, I checked my statement and it went through within the limits of my account. I argued this, they said it was a guranteed transaction so they could have the money..

Sick of banks and all the money grabbing businesses takin the p*ss out of us hard working little peeps on low pay and tryin to do the right things

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                              Working...
                              X