• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

'Misleading' debt firms shut down

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 'Misleading' debt firms shut down

'Misleading' debt firms shut down

The MoJ said some firms falsely claimed to be able to write off debts

One hundred companies offering to write off debts or secure personal injury compensation have been shut down by the Ministry of Justice since April 2007.
    MoJ spokesman Kevin Rousell said they had been guilty of making misleading claims and using high-pressure sales tactics to get people to pay huge fees.
    "People desperate for a way out of their financial troubles can be vulnerable," he said.
    Consumers were warned to be wary of offers that seem too good to be true.
    The BBC's Colette Hume said many claims management firms targeted people who owed large sums to credit card or loan companies.
    And with the industry growing quickly it was becoming increasingly difficult to police, she added.
    Cold calling
    The MoJ said some of the firms shut down had been using misleading advertising, claiming credit card debt could be written off within six weeks or that 80% of credit agreements were unenforceable.
    In other cases, companies ignored requests for information from the government's claims regulator or were run by people who had convictions for fraud.
    There has been a trend towards high-pressure cold calling from call centres

Kevin Rousell, Ministry of Justice

Rules state that firms must not cold-call potential customers in person and must allow a cooling off period of at least 14 days for anyone considering taking up an agreement.
    But instead, some were found to be forcing already debt-ridden customers to pay large up-front fees only for the service to later fall through.
    Mr Rousell said most claims management companies were operating within the rules.
    "However, some companies choose to flout those rules and some also target consumers who find themselves in debt," he said.
    "People desperate for a way out of their financial troubles can be vulnerable to the misleading marketing that the Ministry of Justice Claims Management Regulator is continuing to tackle.
    "There has also been a trend towards high-pressure cold-calling from call centres, including making unsubstantiated claims and encouraging people into handing over fees there and then - a decision they regret later."
    Mr Rousell said claims companies must give customers accurate information about the realistic chances of success and the costs involved in taking up their services.
    They must also not pressurise anyone into making on-the-spot decisions or handing over money without properly considering the facts.
    #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Re: 'Misleading' debt firms shut down

Bit of a limp story if you ask me.
    #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Comment

Anything that raises the awareness of Joe Public to the practices of these firms can only be a good thing, I'd have thought.
      My Blog
      http://cabotfanclub.wordpress.com

Comment

Aye true, could have gone further but gets the point across.

'' Mr Rousell said most claims management companies were operating within the rules.''

hmmmmmmmmmmmm
        #staysafestayhome

Comment

Aye, that should really have been left out.
          My Blog
          http://cabotfanclub.wordpress.com

Comment

Any chance of a thread being started with a list of those who have fallen ?

Comment

Originally posted by sapphire View Post
              Any chance of a thread being started with a list of those who have fallen ?
              Take a read here hun http://legalbeagles.info/forums/showthread.php?t=17680

Comment

Have put all names in first post on Tutt's link now so they are picked up by SEO's and easier to check.

Best way to check is to go to CMR: Claims Management Regulation - click - Authorised Business Search - then select AUTHORISATION CANCELLED and in SECTOR change to FINANCIAL PRODUCTS/SERVICES

Then do same for suspended and voluntarily suspended.
                #staysafestayhome

Comment

Thanks hunnies have put the link in my faourites and shall be looking it up every morning.

Comment

hi please tell me the truth, i have been told so many differing stories,

I HAVE FORTY THOUSAND DEBT WITH A DEBT MANAGEMENT FIRM, CREDITORS LLOYDS, CAP ONE AND THE MONEY SHOP, I NOW HAVE DEBT WITH BARCLAYS AS WELL, TOTALLING FIVE THOUSAND WHICH IS NOT YET IN DEBT MANAGEMENT, I ALSO HAVE LOTS OF OTHER SMALLER DEBTS TO FAMILY AND FRIENDS, I OWN MY OWN HOUSE WHICH HAS ABOUT 120THOUSAND COLLATERAL, PLEASE BE HONEST WITH ME ,HOW LONG WILL MY CREDITORS ACCEPT MY SMALL MO NTHLY DEBT MANAGEMENT PAYMENT BEFORE THEY GO AFTER MY HOUSE, OR IS THERE ANY WAY I CAN HAVE THESE DEBTS WRITTEN OFF AND KEEP MY HOUSE

Comment

I'm afraid there is no quick solution, you would have to address each alleged debt individually regarding its' enforceability.

With reference to the house, I don't believe they can easily force a sale but this is not my area.

Anybody else?
                      Scottish Wildcat Association, conserving Scotland's critically endangered wild felines

Comment

Originally posted by gwendolenemae View Post
                        hi please tell me the truth, i have been told so many differing stories,

I HAVE FORTY THOUSAND DEBT WITH A DEBT MANAGEMENT FIRM, CREDITORS LLOYDS, CAP ONE AND THE MONEY SHOP, I NOW HAVE DEBT WITH BARCLAYS AS WELL, TOTALLING FIVE THOUSAND WHICH IS NOT YET IN DEBT MANAGEMENT, I ALSO HAVE LOTS OF OTHER SMALLER DEBTS TO FAMILY AND FRIENDS, I OWN MY OWN HOUSE WHICH HAS ABOUT 120THOUSAND COLLATERAL, PLEASE BE HONEST WITH ME ,HOW LONG WILL MY CREDITORS ACCEPT MY SMALL MO NTHLY DEBT MANAGEMENT PAYMENT BEFORE THEY GO AFTER MY HOUSE, OR IS THERE ANY WAY I CAN HAVE THESE DEBTS WRITTEN OFF AND KEEP MY HOUSE

Hi Gwen

Can I suggest that you repost this question as a new thread complete with your own title as I doubt that many will respond to this old thread.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                        Working...
                        X