• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

possible Child Tax problem

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• possible Child Tax problem

Hi - hope someone can give some advice as I need to finalise my renewal pretty sharpish.
    My son was at college until last summer - he was going back in Septemeber (was still under 19 when the term was due to start) However he decided to work during the summer holidays (after his exams) & then decided, at the last minute, not to return to full time education (his Child Benefit finished in Sept 2008) - he carried on with part time work until securing a good job at the end of Oct 2008.
    I was unaware that I had to let the Tax Credits dept know of the change (totally my fault as I have never claimed anything before)& am now worried how to proceed as I am on a Debt Management Plan & rely on the Tax Credits. Without the Child Tax Credits it is OK but if the Working Tax Credit is adjusted down/stopped due to overpayment I will be unable to survive.
    Any advice please
    Hector

Re: possible Child Tax problem

Hi Hector, I dont know about your particular case but I do know that I am on a payment plan & have to pay an overpayment back of £850 to the dwp.

What happened was... once the overpayment was worked out & sent to me, I had to ring a number to let them know how I propose to pay it. I then had to ask for an ie sheet to be sent to me. I filled it in & at the bottom you make an offer of what you can afford to pay back a week.. I offered £3 (I didn't think they'd accept it!) & they accepted it... I have £3 a week taken off my benefit until the total is paid... Im guessing yours would be similar because its all under the same umbrella isnt it

Another thing... I was interviewed for 'failure to disclose'. They went back to 2002, the (taped) interview lasted 2 1/2 hours but in the end, because I was unaware of having to disclose anything.... no further action was taken against me...I'm not saying this will happen to you...I was overpaid for years! I just have to pay the overpayment back.
    Last edited by shas; 22nd July 2009, 13:22:PM.
    :beagle:My threads :- UCA (Amex) : Moorcroft (Goldfish) : Cabot : Marlins : Shas v A&L & the world : Capital One : Direct Legal Collections...Egg, CO : Nationwide : Co-Op

Comment

You will have to pay back whatever you have been overpaid on an agreed plan, which I think you will have been overpaid from June/July 08 when he started work not when he deicded not to return to college. However if he is working now and paying you rent will that not cover the decrease in your tax credits income and allow you to continue with your DMP at the same rate? If not then you will need to contact your DMP manager and inform your creditors ofa change in circumstances. These are usually reviewed at least annually in any event.

Comment

thanx for the help everyone - it is as I hoped ( not being fined - just paying back the overpayment)

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
        Working...
        X