• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

DIVORCE and CHARGING ORDER

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DIVORCE and CHARGING ORDER

Hi,

I'm currently going through a divorce and jointly own a property with my soon to be ex-wife. There is a charging order on the property (in my name) against my share of the equity. As part of the divorce settlment, I am considering handing over my share of the equity in the property to her. I do not wish to receive any money for this exchange.

If I do this, does that mean that the charging order is automatically lifted because it is no longer my asset?

If this can be done, what is the process I need to follow and what pitfalls are along the way.. e.g. what can my creditor do to stop this from happening?

All responses welcome. Many thanks

Alfred

Re: DIVORCE and CHARGING ORDER

Is the Charging Order registered by way of a Caution with the Land Registry? This is the usual way that Charging Orders work and means that the creditor has an interest in the sale proceeds but not the property itself.

Is your soon-to-be ex-wife considering selling the property?

Comment

Re: DIVORCE and CHARGING ORDER

It will depend on how you intend to transfer the equity as part of the settlement - if your wife is to remortgage and put the property into her sole name then the charge will have to be satisfied before the title can be transferred.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
      Working...
      X