• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

jenoree A&L CC

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• jenoree A&L CC

Hi there,
    I am new. I have a load of debts. Your blog is very informative. I am going to navigate through to sort out my problems. I appreciate any help at hand from your team.

Amongst many problems I am facing, one in particular is almost daylight robbery: I have a credit card with Alliance & Leicester where I previously (many months ago) gave them the 16 digit details of my Co-operative Bank Electron Card to make a one off payment (to get them off my back)[note I did not set up any direct debit with them], I now realise a third party, MBNA Finance Europe, has been collecting regular payment from me from my Co-Operative Bank Account since at April 09. I complained to the Cooperative Bank that they are allowing a third party to siphon money out of my account: they tell me they cannot stop the demand from MBNA because my them them details of my electron card.

Re: jenoree A&L CC

Hi again jenoree,

I found this info and it seems it's the only way they can be taking money from your account without a DD or SO being set up. As you can see they must notify you but not ask for permission.
    It may be worth your while to SAR them, this way you will get all the info they hold on you. Also in the SAR you will see any charges made on tha account that you can reclaim.

Holding your card details
    Many people are alarmed that their credit or debit card details can be retained for seemingly indefinite periods by a website or trader. There is no law requiring them to destroy card details (although the 3 digit security number shouldn’t be retained) only the requirement to comply with the Data Protection Act which states that personal information must be fairly and lawfully processed, secure and not kept for longer than necessary. Some transactions are termed Recurring Transactions (formally known as a continuous authority transaction). This entitles the trader to keep card details so they can take regular payments or debit the account as they see fit without the permission of the card holder, although obviously the card holder must be notified. Examples would be car hire, hotels or subscription based accounts. You have the right to see what details a company has on file about you at any time by doing a Subject Access Request. Refer to our section on the Data Protection Act for more on this.
    What about card security? The law is very clear on this. You are automatically protected by your credit and debit card provider against fraudulent transactions which you have not authorised. Unfortunately this protection does not extend to transactions which you have authorised, where, say, the goods have not been delivered or are of poor quality. However, you can claim your money back under S75 CCA (equal liability of the credit card provider) or via the Visa Debit chargeback scheme provided certain conditions are met.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
    Working...
    X