• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

landlord given false reference

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• landlord given false reference

Hi there, Im in need of some advice, my current landlord has given a false statement in his reference to my prospective new landlord which has resulted in me losing the house. Ive lost 75 quid in the process and the current landlord seems hell bent on sticking to his story. I now have no chance of getting another house and will be left homelss in 2 weeks. can i do anything about the false allegations this landlord is making, or do i just have to sit and take the lies he is saying about me?

one worried single mum soon to be homeless with a 2 year old and 2 dogs.

Re: landlord given false reference

Contact Citizens advice and your local housing authority ASAP to explain your case. The former will advise on the legal aspects and the latter should advise on the housing issues.
    Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

Nemo me impune lacessit - No one provokes me with impunity. (Motto of the Kings of Scotland)

Comment

Hiya

I have a house that I rent out and use an agent for references etc and I go an inspect the place every 3 months.
      If you are going through an agent then you can explain whats going on and get the agent to sort it out, if not then why not contact the new landlord direct and have a chat and explain that your old landlord is being vindictive. If the old one is saying something like you are keeping the place dirty or disrepair or something then offer any new landlord the opportunity to visit and inspect the property monthly so that you can prove yourself. Anyway I hope you get this sorted out, I'm sure someone else will pop along later with an idea or two.

Comment

its not a case of leaving the place unkept if anything the managing agents have been the problem not the owner of the house. they are claiming i am running a business from the property, totally untrue and that i have been a bad payer with endless arrears again untrue.

I could make complaints about the fact i was left 11 and a half months with no form of heating in the house, the elctrics are faulty and there is a water leak from the upstairs bathroom to the kitchen, everytime you turn the shower on the lights in the kitchen go off.
        I have reported these faults for months on end but nothing ever gets done about it. ive got to the end of my tether and so went to look for something else. the new landlord led me to believe that evrything was ok, and all they needed was a reference now they have had the lies from the curtrent agent they're not willing to go ahead. ill contact citizens advice about them on monday see what they say

Comment

Originally posted by derralou View Post
          they are claiming i am running a business from the property, totally untrue and that i have been a bad payer with endless arrears again untrue.
          DO you have a written copy of the reference that states this?
          or can you get hold of a copy?

Comment

It's important that you inspect (with a witness) & record all of the problems with the current property Also it's important that you either wrote to the agent complaining or at least kept a diary recording you various attempts at having the problems rectified

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
            Working...
            X