• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Tories to end free prescriptions in Wales

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tories to end free prescriptions in Wales

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/wales/8104142.stm

Tories to end free prescriptions

The Welsh Conservative pledge to abolish free prescriptions for all if they get into power

The party says those who can afford it should pay a modest charge in view of the huge financial pressures on the Welsh NHS.
    Free prescriptions began two years ago and the policy is being copied in Scotland and Northern Ireland.
    The Welsh Assembly Government said the policy was a long-term investment in improving health.
    The Conservatives say the health service cannot afford to subsidise those who can afford to contribute.
    Tory health spokesman Andrew RT Davies said: "Everyone in Wales knows that because of Labour's debt crisis, our public services are under massive pressure.

"So it's only fair that to protect those who really need help and to improve services that have been allowed to decline under Labour, we ask those who can afford it to make a contribution."
    He added the same people who were eligible for free prescriptions prior to the universal policy would qualify, as would cancer patients.
    Charges would also be lower than when they were abolished, and money raised would be ring-fenced for the health budget.
    Conservative leader Nick Bourne said: "Free prescriptions are not, and never will be, 'free' in the true sense of the word.
    "We are all paying for them by sacrificing money from elsewhere within a health budget stretched to the limit after 10 years of Labour in Wales.
    "We currently have a palliative care system which our own health minister admits is 'patchy' and stroke services described by an expert in the field as 'scandalously bad'."
    The assembly government said in a statement: "GPs use their discretion in determining what medication is prescribed based on the patient's clinical needs to avoid the risk of people trying to abuse free prescriptions.
    "Free prescriptions are a long-term investment in improving health. If people aren't put off seeking the appropriate care, due to financial reasons, their health will improve.
    "If patients are able to get the treatment they need, it will ultimately help to reduce the long term cost to the health service.
    "They remove the unfairness in the previous system where people with conditions like heart disease, high blood pressure, or those who have had an organ transplant were not entitled to free prescriptions, despite being able to benefit significantly from them."

Re: Tories to end free prescriptions in Wales

Good
    #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

Hear hear.
      Is no longer here

Comment

Eh? Is it only in wales? I've always paid for mine. lol actually not anymore I get my stuff send over from Dubai its cheaper then here.
        Dragging myself and my family back into the light with the help of Beagles.

My Hardship Claim
        Me VS Abbey Win
        BIL HSBC Credit Card
        BIL EGG
        BIL HSBC Loan
        BIL PPI Win

Comment

by mule ?
          #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

Originally posted by Amethyst View Post
            by mule ?
            No Camal
            Dragging myself and my family back into the light with the help of Beagles.

My Hardship Claim
            Me VS Abbey Win
            BIL HSBC Credit Card
            BIL EGG
            BIL HSBC Loan
            BIL PPI Win

Comment

This is mochas back garden after her last prescription was delivered

even with humps for water, it was a long trek...

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
              Working...
              X