• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Scary Man from Rossendales - Please Help!!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scary Man from Rossendales - Please Help!!

I have recieved 3 visits from Rossendales at my current address, all when I am not there, I work full time. They want to collect outstanding council tax from 3 old addresses of mine, totalling approx £800, which I am willing to pay.

The first time they left note asking me to call, which I did, the man siad he would send me income/expenditure forms, he visited again and left these for me so I duly completed and returned to them. They say they have not recieved them.

The third visit was yesterday, again we were out. He left a letter stating the need the full payment within 24 hours and no further arrangements are available. I called the man and said I cannot magic the money out of thin air, that I am willing to pay, but it will have to be by installments. He said they had been going to lots of addresses looking for me but was always told I didn't live there, he listed the addresses and I confirmed I hadn't ever lived at any of them, except one which I informed the council of who said they would inform the bailiffs but I ever heard anything again from anyone.

I have to admit I did become quite frustrated with him and I did get a bit angry trying to explain myself when he wouldn't listen to me.

He said he would re-attend the property tomorrow to take goods whether I was there or not. Reading the bailiff guide I can see he cannot do this as he has never peacefully gained entry to my house or made a WPA.

He then said that he wants £400 by the end of the month and then we can make an arrangement about the rest of the debt. I cannot get this money and I don't know what to do.

He said if I don't pay then there will be a warrant for my arrest and I will go to prison, however, after reading much information I can see I would only go to prison should I 'willingly refuse to pay'. I am not refusing to pay, I am saying I can't pay all at once.

What can I do? I am scared and frustrated and don't know where to turn.

Re: Scary Man from Rossendales - Please Help!!

As I understand it, you are right in that they cannot come back and force entry under those circumstances, but I am not the expert on Bailiffs. Amy will be the right person to advise you on this.

However, have you tried calling the Council to whom you owe the money and explain the situation to them ?

As you are not trying to avoid the debt and feel that you CAN pay it, but by installments, then explain that to them. Maybe they will allow you pay them direct rather than talking to these Bailiffs (who are usually only interested in intimidating people IMHO). If possible, offer to make the first of those payments when you do speak to the Council - even if it just a token payment to start the ball rolling.

Lastly, don't bother speaking to Rossendales by phone, insist on all dealings being done in writing. That way you have a clear paper trail and proof of anything agreed, plus you save yourself the hassle of being bullied by them over the phone.

If the Council do agree to your proposal, also get them to confirm it in writing. The Council would rather the money without a fight than have to pay a firm like Rossendales to collect the money.

Am sure Amy will be along presently to advise you exactly what Rossendales can and cannot do and how best to deal with them in the meantime.

Comment

You’ve done very well and you clearly now have a good understanding of what this bailiff can and can’t do, for example you correctly state he cannot remove your belongings as he has not been granted peaceful entry to your property and you will not go to prison just because you are unable to pay.

Do you know how much you actually owe in council tax and how much the bailiff says you owe him? It might be worth sending the Subject Access Request (from the bailiff guide) as the fees a bailiff can charge for the collection of council tax are quite straight forward. Is the amount owed from the same years?

I wouldn’t mind betting that a levy fee has been added on despite the fact he has not levied.

Have you telephoned the MoJ to check if he is certificated? Details of how to do this can also be found in the bailiff guide.

Going back to his threat to have you arrested, I would not put up with this and this is completely unacceptable and you should consider a complaint against him. As to how you go about complaining about him depends on whether or not he is certificated.

Comment

Thank you for your responses. I will be emailing Rossendales. I tried to call them by phone earlier and the woman I spoke to spoke to me like I was dirt and told me I had to deal with the bailiff and that as far as what he said to me over the phone goes she was not a part of the conversation and so cannot comment.

I am going to ask them for a breakdown of the costs and debt before I pay anything and see where it owed to and go to them direct.

This is awful, the guy is just being so unprofessional I spent most of last night in tears.

Thank you for the replies, I think it's disgusting the way these companies treat people.
        ------------------------------- merged -------------------------------
        Ok, I just this minute had a message left on my voicemail from the bailiff saying that because I called the office, they have now instructed him to collect all the money and that I need to call him asap.

I really don't know what to do!!
        Last edited by missnoir; 11th June 2009, 13:13:PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

Originally posted by missnoir View Post
          Ok, I just this minute had a message left on my voicemail from the bailiff saying that because I called the office, they have now instructed him to collect all the money and that I need to call him asap.

I really don't know what to do!!
          Ignore him and try and calm down.

You know there is nothing he can do and he knows it too.

Comment

It has already has been said, DO NOT communicate with them by phone again.

Comment

Thank you.

I will write to them all tonight and send everything by recorded delivery, then they can't claim they don't have it.

Thanks for getting back to me

Comment

You spoken to the Council yet ?

Comment

If you speak to the council they will claim they cannot accept payment as the debt is with the bailiff and that you should deal with them only - this is not true and you should pay the council in any case.

If the bailiff cannot get anywhere with this i.e. make some money, he will have no choice but to hand it back to the council.

Have you checked he is certificated yet?

Comment

Yep, that's exactely what the council told me.

I haven't had a chance to check if he certificated as yet, I'm at work but will have a quick look now.

Comment

hi there

Can't really offer much advice although we did have dealings in 07 with Rossendales.
                      They are in my eyes a nasty piece of work. I had the last laugh though as after bashing at my door at 5am one morning and terifying my children. He agreed to give me 7 days to pay the sum of 849.81. Credit cards 2.5% surcharge debit cards 1%. I went to my freindly corner shop and asked if he had change to get rid of. He jumped at the chance and i handed the bailiff a bag full of various coins, i also got him to sign to say the money was paid in full. Not a happy chap and when he asked if he could come in and count it i told him to politely FOFF. Our Bailiff was mr swift

Comment

http://youtu.be/BWFM5Ntz4aQ
                        Please watch it's mr swift being a bully to me I have several videos and recordings of him being a bully we need to stand up to him his unlawful activities make a stand

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                        Working...
                        X