• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Please help my head is spinning

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Please help my head is spinning

Hey, Things have not been great for me for a while now, I have been living with my parents and depending on them for everything and this has caused many problems, I have one friend who I have known for many years and he also suffers from mental health issues.
    He has been very bad since his mum died in Jan, He has no family and my mum and dad look upon him as their son I see him as my brother and best friend.
    We talked about how bad things are for him and mum and dad offered him to leave his flat and move into their house in the spare room..then as it was all planned my little sister came back home, she is pregnant and myself and her do not get on at all.
    Of course now there is no room for my friend to move in, I cannot move in with him as there is only one bedroom in his flat and this wouldn't feel right sharing a room.
    So we found a two bedroom property together and we move in tomorrow.
    I am concerned as to what we do about our benefits. I am on income support he is on incapacity and DLA.
    Will our benefits be affected as we live together? we just had to do something neither of us were happy where we are and we had to find a solution, moving in together we hope will give us the strength to get well, myself away from the problems at home and him not lonely anymore.
    We still will depend on my parents heavily for shopping and things but this way we can kinda of hope to become independent too.
    How will it work as we are of the opposite sex? does this matter? there is no way we would ever have an relationship I could never look at him in that way, we are like brother and sister.
    I would appreciate your advice as we are scared now incase we did the wrong thing...its scary as dont know what will happen with our benefits or housing benefits.
    thanks so much for reading xxx

Re: Please help my head is spinning

Hi hun, I work for my local council in housing benefits, I haven't been there long and only work part time so please dont take my advice as gospel but in cases similar to yours I've seen no difference in the housing benefit given because you are both on benefits.

Also, the second person often claims a carers allowance if the other is claiming DLA and this still entitles both to housing benefit at the full rate unless either of you have any other income. I know absolutely nothing about any other benefits, just housing allowances in my local council. x
    Last edited by strugglingmum; 5th June 2009, 23:02:PM.

Comment

Hi cinnomen,
      If I were you I would get in touch with the Benefits Office and ask them where you stand. It is different rules when you are sharing accomodation or are indeed a carer, than when you are living as a couple.
      If you are dubious about getting in touch with them, then if your friend has a social worker or the such then maybe a good idea to contact them and get a full benefit check.
      Your friend could be entitled to Attendance Allowance and you yourself Carers Allownace.
      Hope this helps Enaid x

Comment

Hi,

As a single person, with a mental health problem - depression..
        I get full incapacity benefit, dla, income support, full ctb, full housing benefit.... I get a premium of approx £50 a week on my income support because nobody claims carers allowance for me...

I imagine that if its just a house share, youd both get half of the council tax & housing benefit each. Can I ask why the person claiming incapacity doesnt get income support already?
        ------------------------------- merged -------------------------------
        I've got the 2009/10 Disability rights handbook & the welfare benefits & tax credits handbook... I'll try & help if I can find it in 1 of them!
        ------------------------------- merged -------------------------------
        *** Regarding the housing benefit... it depends if both of you are liable for the rent under your agreement with the landlord. If only 1 of you is, then only that person can claim hb. If you have joint liability... you can both make seperate claims & be paid housing benefit on your share.
        Last edited by shas; 22nd June 2009, 15:56:PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
        :beagle:My threads :- UCA (Amex) : Moorcroft (Goldfish) : Cabot : Marlins : Shas v A&L & the world : Capital One : Direct Legal Collections...Egg, CO : Nationwide : Co-Op

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
        Working...
        X