• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Child Support Agency

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Child Support Agency

Today I opened the post to find that the Child Support Agency had written to my husband regarding a child born in 1993.

This child was conceived in France when he was living there having emigragted with a partner. She went home when discovering she was pregnant and wanted nothing more to do with him. It was agreed, on my husbands part, that he had nothing to do with the boy and she would not claim support against him. My husband sadly agreed to this. The mother wanted him brought up only knowing her new partner as Dad. I believe there could be other children by another partner now. My husband of two years has never seen the child since and had no communication. That was until today when the letter and the form arrived for child maintenance payments.

I have retired from work due to ill health and I am 8 years older than my husband who is 56.

This has come as a real shock, I know my husband will be delighted to meet his son, if it is allowed, but I am concerned as to how we will afford this now that I am unable to work, and only have my state pension.

Will he have to pay back from 1993 ?

We have no savings to speak of.

The house is is my name, will they claim against this ? It is an interest only mortgage that is due for renewal in five years time.

I really don't know which way to turn. Please can you give me some advice and help.

Thanks.

Re: Child Support Agency

Hi Twilley

((((((((((((((((((((((hug)))))))))))))))))))))))00 for you for starters, bit of a shock after all this time.

Am I right in thinking when you say 'she went home' meaning she moved back to the UK and currently lives here ?

Also the agreement for your husband to have nothing to do with the child and in return no chil;d support would be claimed - i don't suppose that was in writing.

If his ex is now, or was before, on benefits then the csa are obliged to become involved.

Also as csa has recently changed to CSME they might be going back catching up on old cases....thought 16 years seems extreme.

If the house is solely in your name it should be okay.

how much are they asking for ?
    #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

Re: Child Support Agency

Am I right in thinking when you say 'she went home' meaning she moved back to the UK and currently lives here ?

Yes - she moved back to the UK - and got involved in another relationshipship before the child was even born, There has since been another child...

Also the agreement for your husband to have nothing to do with the child and in return no chil;d support would be claimed - i don't suppose that was in writing.

Fraid not -purely verbal.

If his ex is now, or was before, on benefits then the csa are obliged to become involved.

Also as csa has recently changed to CSME they might be going back catching up on old cases....thought 16 years seems extreme.

If the house is solely in your name it should be okay.

how much are they asking for ?

Unknown as yet - how far can they go back? Or is the claim purely from when the new partner left? (Which is what I assume is what has happened)

I really appreciate this advice. Thank you.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
      Working...
      X