• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

School dinners,

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• School dinners,

I can remember back in the 60s and 70s when I was growing up I loved most of the school dinners and even more the puddings. There were dinners of beef pie or beef cobbler, liver and bacon or cowboy casserole. I even enjoyed the delights of braised ox heart until I realised what it actually was, it tasted like the best beef ever. The puddings were equally delicious, chocolate cornflake tart with pink custard, jaffa tart or my favorite chocolate splodge, which in other parts of the country was also known as chocolate toothpaste tart because it had a swirl of cream on top which looked like a swirl of toothpaste.
    For a long time after leaving school I craved many of these dinners and pudding, mainly because my mum was a poor cook, so I was very happy earlier this year to find that an old school friend had found most of the recipes from our childhood and produced a book called school dinners.

Here is the recipe for chocolate toothpaste tart, which I have been given permission to reproduce as long as I link this post to her book.

Chocolate toothpaste tart.

Pastry
    250g plain flour
    125g butter or margerine
    a little cold water

You could always buy a sweet pastry case from the supermarket or as I did last weekend, make a biscuit base; which I found to be nicer than pastry.

This will make a 6' base, which is enough for 6 people.

125g finely ground digestive biscuit crumbs
    5 tablespoons caster sugar
    85g butter, melted
    1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon (optional)

The filling

100g softened butter or margerine
    100g icing sugar
    100g dried milk powder (not grandules)
    2 tablespoons coco powder
    2 tablespoons hot chocolate powder
    3 tablespoons hot water

make the pastry or biscuit base and smear and flour a greased 6' tin.
    roll out the pastry and line the tin, if using the biscuit base put all of the biscuit base ingredients into a saucepan on a slow heat, mix them together and then press into the tin (let cool for 30 minutes before adding the chocolate filling).

For the filling

cream together the butter and icing sugar (best start with a wooden spoon)
    Add the rest of the ingredients and beat like mad, I used a whisk after a minute. When it becomes glossy it is ready to go into the cooked pastry case or onto the biscuit base, smooth this down with a damp spoon and chill it in the fridge.
    The toothpaste is false cream, the sort that you get in birds trifles. I didn't have any so used whiped cream and it was yummy, pipe it on like a swirl of toothpaste and serve. I served this up to my kids and their friends last weekend and they loved it.

The book can be bought on Amazon via this link http://www.amazon.co.uk/School-Dinne...3597834&sr=8-1

The book is also great fun, before each recipe Becky takes a trip down memory lane, talking about childhood memories and the dreamy days of being a child of the 60s.
    Borrow money from a pessimist -- they don't expect it back.

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
Working...
X