• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

direct debit cancellation question

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• direct debit cancellation question

the story so far

next door neighbour (21) bought new car sorted out insurance online realised he could get it much cheaper so cancelled insurance and direct debit with bank.

they are charging him £121.44 which I have told him will probably be right (have not seen the agreement) as they are allowed to charge a cancellation fee think he was only insured for a couple of days.

The question is he received a letter from insurance company asking for payment if not paid within 10 days

the amount above will be due to be debited from the last debit/credit card used

can they do this as he has not authorised it ?

as there was insufficient funds in his account when they tried to take the payment he has been charged £35.00 and a further £28.00

any help on this would be appreciated

SL xxx
    Member of the Beagles £2 coin and small change savers clubs, both based in the Debt Forum:11:

Re: direct debit cancellation question

Do the distance selling regs apply to on line transactions for insurance?

if they do i think the buyer has 7 business days to cancel the contract and I'm sure its without penalty.

Secondly if the amount of charge for cancellation is payable, then it should be in line with the terms and conditions. £121 sounds high given the time period involved.

re the credit/charge card. Sadly the way the banks work is that if you give out your cc/dc number then the recipient of that number can use and re-use it and you cannot easily (if at all) cancel the use.

There may be other more authoritative views but this is what i am given to believe.

if the payments were disputed in writing prior to a payment being taken then it may be that there is a case for a claim against the insurance company.

JMHO

Glenn

Comment

Newarly forgot if you do wish to cancle the ability of a creditor to charge direct to a cc or dc card then i thnk the only practical way is to say the card has been lost or stolen,. The issuer once informed will immediately cancle the card prevenitng further use.

HTH

Glenn

Comment

thanks for that info Glenn will speak to him later today.

SL xx
        Member of the Beagles £2 coin and small change savers clubs, both based in the Debt Forum:11:

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
        Working...
        X