• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

About the CCA and about Claims companies ** OUT OF DATE **

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• About the CCA and about Claims companies ** OUT OF DATE **

Updated MAY 2009

Following a high profile case involving the Rankines (read about this in VIP Legal Beagles ) there has been a massive growth in the marketing of companies offering to 'write-off' or 'clear' your credit card debt or loans, or anything covered by the Consumer Credit Act due to purported ''loopholes'' in the Consumer Credit Act 1974. There are NO loopholes in the Consumer Credit Act, the claims are simply based on lenders failing to comply with statutes laid down.

This ''loophole'' is a valid part of the Consumer Credit Act 1974 known as 127 (3) which was revoked in the 2006 Amendments, however the amendment was not retrospective. Therefore 127 (3) of the 1974 Act STILL applies to consumer credit agreements executed prior to April 2007.

127 (3) reads....
    Originally posted by CCA 1974
    (3) The court shall not make an enforcement order under section 65(1) if section 61(1) (a)(signing of agreements) was not complied with unless a document (whether or not in the prescribed form and complying with regulations under section 60(1)) itself containing all the prescribed terms of the agreement was signed by the debtor or hirer (whether or not in the prescribed manner)

There are many agreements which do not conform to other aspects of the consumer credit act...and also many agreements which have been lost/never made in the first place or mislaid....which also makes the creditor unable to legally enforce the agreement terms.

In the past, and in the main up until the judgment in the Rankines case, section 127 (3) has been used as a defence to claims against debtors by creditors without the correct compliant documentation. This has been useful in cases where creditors have added ridiculous interest rates, top loaded insurances, commissions, and charges and imposed unfair terms on debtors.

Now consumers, claims companies and solicitors have a greater understanding of the Consumer Credit Act, and in particular prescribed terms, and are taking the creditors to court before enforcement action is taken, asking for a declaration of unenforceability, thus forcing creditors to write off the debt. In some cases 'debtors' are also asking to reclaim any payments already made under the agreement (as it legally didn't exist) and asking for interest on top.
    There is very limited positive feedback on taking this course of action.

There are a lot of moral arguments surrounding doing this, but the overriding opinion seems to be if the creditor companies, with all the resources they have, couldn't get right what boils down to four or five prescribed terms in consumer agreements, it shows the lack of consideration and care offered to their customers and basically deserve all they get. We won't go into the moral arguments here, however Legal Beagles do not condone debt avoidance at all. We use the CCA 1974 and subsequent amendments to get things on a level and FAIR footing between debtor and creditor, and to encourage creditors to remove excessive interest and charges and allow affordable repayments on debt, and to stop bullying from DCA's, Bailiffs and stop CCJ's being applied, Charging Orders and people losing their homes to unfair debts.
    __________________________________________________ ________________________

You will probably have heard radio or television advert
    ising, or read newspaper advertising and articles regarding companies and solicitors who promise to have your debts written off. Some of these companies give a toss about you, most don't and many will charge huge upfront fees in order to have your agreements ''assessed''.

This can be very tempting, after all an upfront payment of £300/£500 with promises to wipe over £5000 seems like a godsend and a way out of debt for many people, especially in the current economic climate.

However if you are tempted by these companies there are some basic checks you should make before handing ANY money over.

1) Word of mouth recommendation - from people you know and trust.

2) Check out sites like Beagles, Penalty Charges, Consumer Action Group, MSE, PAG, CCS etc see what experiences people have had actually using these companies.

3) Check out sites like
    http://www.whocallsme.com and see what people are saying about calls from these companies and their experiences of using them

4) Does the company have a Consumer Credit Licence ? The Office of Fair Trading: Consumer credit licences

5) Is the company regulated by the Ministry of Justice ? CMR: Claims Management Regulation

6) How long has the company been in operation ? Are they filing accounts and annual returns on time ? WebCHeck - Select and Access Company Information

7) Is the company just an 'introducer' - do they simply collect your details and sell them/pass them on to another company/companies for a hefty commission ? or are they the solicitors who will actually deal with your claim ? ASK THEM before doing anything.

and have a read of our Guide to the Consumer Credit Act > ~~~ Consumer Credit Agreements - A Guide ~~~~ inc. Letters - Legal Beagles which has letters and information to assist you up to the point you may decide you need legal representation.

There is also news of the courts taking a closer look at claims of unenforceability and putting claims on hold. Updates on this will be in the OFT Forum as and when we know more.

Last edited by Tools; 15th May 2009, 17:35:PM.
    #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Re: About the CCA and about Claims companies

Updated.
    #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Comment

Dear Legal Beagle

I have recently heard of a company that will buy your credit card debt from you for a sum of 10% of its value, plus a solicitors cost of about £350
      This payment is completely re-fundable if the case is not successful...
      This company review your card agreement and if it decided that it would be a successful claim to to the lender will clear your card balance for you in one month?
      My question is,
      Can your credit card balance be bought from you by a third party, or will the lender continue to chase you for the balance or monthly payments.

I look forward to hearing from you soon

Elisau

Comment

Originally posted by elisau View Post

or will the lender continue to chase you for the balance or monthly payments.
        That's basically it in a nutshell. One firm that has been promoting this has just had their claims management authorisation withdrawn by the Ministry of Justice

Comment

Hi elisau and welcome to Legal Beagles, for more information read here Rankine screwed !! More trouble for CMCs - debt buyers threatened with prosecution
          Any opinions I give are my own. Any advice I give is without liability. If you are unsure, please seek qualified legal advice.

IF WE HAVE HELPED YOU PLEASE CONSIDER UPGRADING TO VIP - click here

Comment

There is an interesting very recent CCA case in which Halifax (RBS) pulled out of the case on the day it was going to court:

MoneySavingExpert.com Forums - View Single Post - Credit-card written off at Leeds County Court June 2009
            Thanks!

Debtisbad

Comment

Legal Beagles
              #staysafestayhome

Comment

Tony- have move your posts to your thread Tony's CCA's MBNA / EGG / RBS - Legal Beagles
                #staysafestayhome

Comment

Guys,

A lot of good work here on the whole CMC issue(s), whats the chances of getting a list together of the Companies that are dealing with these cases ie, SOLICITORS, or whoever they maybe.
                  EXAMPLE: Cartel Client review: 0/10 based on various posts on the LB site as to their performance to date for the common man/woman.

I have a comment on RECOMPENSE Solicitors (Through Contract Checkers), having a CCA case with them right now and their nonexistant responses to my letters asking for some kind of indication as to when they are going to get off the fence and get on with the job that they are earning money supposedly doing.
                  Last edited by Brian; 5th December 2009, 20:32:PM.

Comment

Good grief

This actually may be very helpful to a friend of mine

However, once there is a judgment from some years ago, how do you go about getting a copy of the credit agreement (as normal routes would seem closed - e.g: S78, etc)

Comment

There have been a lot of negative judgments in the higher and lower courts which I would take into account before considering following a defence / claim based on unenforceability of credit agreements. I need to update the first post of this thread accordingly. We also know much more about the processes and the treatment of the CCA by the courts and although it is still there for protection it isnt a viable way to get rid of debt.

Start a thread regarding your friends issue and if people think there is a way to help him they will tell you x
                      #staysafestayhome

Comment

Re: About the CCA and about Claims companies ** OUT OF DATE **

Hi

The MOJ have issued instruction that DCAs when dealing with CMCs handling purchased debts should ignore them and continue to pursue the orriginal debtor.

THe rational for debt purchas as i undrstand it is. that if an account has been terminated then the debtor is no longer under an agreement so the agreement is free to be ransferred, this is technically correct.
                        However it ignores the fact that the the liability under the agreement cannot be. The debt remains the property of the debtor.
                        Peter

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                        Working...
                        X