• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

When did you last write to your MP?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• When did you last write to your MP?

If like me you are often worried about stories that appear in the news then why not write direct to your MP about it?

It is often said that people are disengaged from politics in this country and part of the reason for that is the inability of the individual to have any impact on central government or national policy.

Because you can now easily contact your MP on line (as well as ministers, the PM etc) it is really easy for people to bring some influence into the debates.

Clearly if one person writes to one MP the impacts is likely to be negligible.

However, if many people write to their MP or a minster the effect is magnified.

So why not begin today and write to your MP or indeed any other politician about issues that worry or are important to you?

http://www.writetothem.com/ input your postcode and away you go.

Glenn

Re: When did you last write to your MP?

I write to my MP quite a lot, I think she has me down as a complainer. I do think though that writing to MP's can have a positive outcome as I can prove.
    I was in one of our local hospitals two years ago, on a medical ward with some very poorly people, the care of some of the patients was appaling. The ward was filthy and people were being neglected by staff. My letter was quite lengthy and damning of the hospital. I got a call some days later from my MP asking for a one to one chat. She visited my home and we went into length about the problems I had seen and endured. The outcome was the wards are now steam cleaned on a regular basis. All of the over-bed feed posts were scrapped and new ones brought in. Staff are monitored for cleanliness and patients are now sent a form after being in hospital to give feedback on their stay.
    Borrow money from a pessimist -- they don't expect it back.

Comment

I've never written to my MP but I am sorely tempted to now, thanks for the link Glen and thanks Liam for your story its encouraged me.

Comment

Sapphire

I cannot claim to be a regular like Liam, but i do get a bee in my bonnet now and then.

I often write about things which interest or worry me, ATM i am worried about the transition of our state from something which notionally supported society to one which is controlling our lives with no significant benefits IMHO.

Things like the increasing power of the state to collect and gather data, the imposition of ID cards for no real societal benefit, the increasing use of CCTV to monitor us all on a daily basis.

I have no idea if individually my letters make any difference, however, i am certain that if my mp received 500 letters from people on the same theme he may listen, if he got a 1000 he definitely would, 10,000 and policy would be discussed and maybe changed.

As i understand it they reckon that 99% of voters take little part in the democratic process and so if 1 writes in there are probably 10 or more behind them thinking the same way but not doing anything about it.

i could of course be kidding myself and its all a waste of time. I do get replies though so at least i feel I'm doing something.

JMHO

Glenn

Comment

Thanks for that Glen I think I might just start my letter writing career on a subject that we all care about here, and suggest that the Govt could/would solve a lots of peoples problems with the credit crunch/losing jobs etc just by doing one thing, and that would be to instruct the banks etc to refund all the charges. That would enable those in debt to get a lot paid off, it would also enable people to start spending again, it would also save a fortune on costs being incurred over the court case thats dragging on and on.
          Oh how I will love writing this letter, to both my MP and copy it to my European MP.

Oh just as an aside

Things like the increasing power of the state to collect and gather data, the imposition of ID cards for no real societal benefit, the increasing use of CCTV to monitor us all on a daily basis.

Those subjects would be good on a couple of discussion threads wouldn't they.

Comment

You mean something else for me to argue the toss about !!! PMSL

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
            Working...
            X