• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Business Accounts....statutes/reports

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Business Accounts....statutes/reports

UTCCR

Sole Traders have oft be told they can claim under UTCCR....I don;t think they can. However I think it is something needs looking into further urgently.

UTCCR 1999 covers business to consumer - the only way it could apply to business accounts were if the charges were incurred outside of the course of the business.

But as it is a business account by definition the charges are incurred as a business transaction.

UCTA

This only covers terms which limit liability.

Liquidated Damages

Common law based on the charge being triggered on a breach of contract. With penalties out then this is also out.

EU Directives

COUNCIL DIRECTIVE 93/13/EEC of 5 April 1993 on unfair terms in consumer contracts - only apply to consumers (

(b) 'consumer' means any natural person who, in contracts covered by this Directive, is acting for purposes which are outside his trade, business or profession; )

================================================== ===============================================
    REPORTS/INVESTIGATIONS

Unfair Contracts Bill - Law Commissions

So we're back to this final report draft bill.which isn't in yet.

Originally posted by law commission
    In July 2006, the Government told us that it accepts our recommendations, subject to a regulatory impact assessment. If the assessment proves favourable, the Department of Trade and Industry will seek an opportunity to introduce appropriate legislation to implement our recommendations as soon as practicable.
    and the government response - http://www.berr.gov.uk/files/file34128.PDF

Its pending regulatory impact assessment.

Going to ask some questions of some people about it.

COmpetition Commission Report 2002

Summary of report (html format) Full text (pdf format) http://www.competition-commission.or...2/462banks.htm

Originally posted by [SIZE=3
    Lord McIntosh of Haringey:[/size] 14 Mar 2002]"Let me set out the Competition Commission's findings. First, it finds that these banks had failed to compete on price by: refusing to pay interest oncurrent accounts and only paying low rates of interest on smaller, short-term deposit accounts; and by maintaining a structure of charges not related to costs.

The Office of Fair Trading: Small and medium sized enterprise (SME) banking review.

• The Supply of Goods and Services Act 1982

requires a supplier of a service acting in the course of business in England, Wales and Northern Ireland to carry out that service with reasonable care and skill and, unless agreed to the contrary, within a reasonable time and make no more than a reasonable charge.
    Last edited by Amethyst; 3rd May 2009, 20:42:PM.
    #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Re: Business Accounts....statutes.

Should we hold fire with Business Claims forward for the time being Ames?

I have one with 2nd LBA sent in for son-in-law.

jax

Comment

I can't recommend anyone going to court with it, well we havent done since the original penalty judgment but prelim, lba (using banks complaints system so 8 weeks etc), possibly FOS,tho they are coming down on the banks sides more now, is still okay.....just removing the risk from the claimants for now. Theres some cases coming up which might give a clearer picture. Some banks are still paying out on letters, so don;t give up just be very aware of the risks if you want to take it to court.
      Originally posted by jax007 View Post
      Should we hold fire with Business Claims forward for the time being Ames?

I have one with 2nd LBA sent in for son-in-law.

jax
      #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Comment

There is an argument by some which includes personal accounts to file at court because of limitations arguments. What is your take on that?

Comment

Limitations doesnt run from entry of a court claim, it runs from the first complaint (so the prelim letter really) so I don't feel there is any need to enter a court claim to protect limitations period. Of course business accounts not being under the waiver means that without arguing exclusion of limitations period you can go back to 2003 if you were sending your first complaint in now. Personal accounts are held at 27 July 2001, complaint in yet or not.
          #staysafestayhome

Comment

Very helpful information. Thank.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
            Working...
            X