• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.
  • If you need direct help with your employment issue you can contact us at admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com for further assistance. This will give you access to “off-forum” support on a one-to- one basis from an experienced employment law expert for which we would welcome that you make a donation to help towards their time spent assisting on your matter. You can do this by clicking on the donate button in the box below.

apprenticeship for 16yr old son

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• apprenticeship for 16yr old son

Hello again guys. Im hopin someone can help or advise me on this coz I am worried about my son.
    My son is 16yrs old and left school coz he was offered place at college on mechanical engineerin course. Whilst he done that course, both him and myself sat down and wrote letters to companies askin for apprenticeship at their garages. He got lots of knock backs due to recession but one small local firm contacted him and gave him 4week trial. He had to get permission from college to go to the garage and work due to insurance purposes etc. His lecturer wanted to make sure they had all neccessary safety and other stuff in place to protect my son whilst he would be workin there.
    Anyways, my son loves it and was paid cash on weekly basis altho one week he got paid £30 less for no reason. He gets up at 6am each mornin and leaves house at 7am and works till 5pm. He definatley loves the job but he gets no answers from anyone when he asks direct question...they keep sayin they will talk to him later wen not busy but they never busy wen they all sit down to dinner and my son gettin irritated by it all.
    After the 4 week trial, they said they needed another 2 weeks to decide whether they keepin him on or not. They have never said they are keepin him on as apprentice, they just told him last week to bring bank details in and they would start payin into his bank.
    He asked if he was permanent and all he got in response was " we are keepin ye on till we dont need ye anymore so that should keep ye happy sonny"....
    In my opinion thats not fair. Should he not have a contract or something?...Is his employment rights the same as anyone else or does he not have any?.... Wat if he turns up one day and they just tell him he doesnt work there anymore?.... It will mean he will have gave up his college course and gained nothin and then have to re-do the course next year if they will have him. Wat about insurance while he works fro them?...If a car or anythin fall son him, does their insurance cover him?....Im really worried that if anythin goes wrong then they could blame him for negligence etc.
    He has never taken day off since startin with them and is always there before his manager in mornings and leaves with manager at night so he does enjoy the job but all the insecurity about the job is makin him miserable. He wants to know he is an apprentice to this company.
    We are a,lso due to go on holiday for a week on 4th july and he too scared to ask for the week off incase they say no or sack him if he asks.
    Can anyone tell me wat his rights are etc?
    All help and advice would be much appreciated....Thanx

Re: apprenticeship for 16yr old son

I will ask some questions for you poochie.

I have a trainee working under me in the workshop, will ask his college tutor and also my gaffer.

Don't be afraid to remind me if I haven't replied in the next couple of days as my memory is like a sieve
    Any opinions I give are my own. Any advice I give is without liability. If you are unsure, please seek qualified legal advice.

IF WE HAVE HELPED YOU PLEASE CONSIDER UPGRADING TO VIP - click here

Comment

Little bits in here for you to chew over poochie
      your rights: apprenticeships - from workSMART.org.uk

Comment

Thanx for that enaid..... Lots of helpful info there for me.
        Also thanx tools, I will look forward to hearin from you coz it always good to get other opinions and any info that may help.
        Thanx again

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
        See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
        X