• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Claims Management Companies - Are they ALL bad

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Claims Management Companies - Are they ALL bad

Claims Management Companies (CMC) - Are they ALL bad ?

Just a quick Wiki overview so we better understand what we are talking about here.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Claims_management_company

Now when it comes to what we are doing there appears to be a number of different types of CMC involved.

1. The Good
    2. The Bad
    3. The Ugly

1. The Good

Yes there are some good CMC's out there. They basically do what we do, but in a more official capacity. Their costs are borne by the OC's and DCA's via County Court Act charging structure.
    Even the companies that charge a fee for Bank reclaims can come under this heading, as long as their fees aren't disproportionate to the service offered.

2. The Bad

Well on the obverse there's the companies that charge the claimant large fees and/or percentage of success. This applies both to unenforceability as well as more normal charges reclaims. Also under this I would include some of the No Winners, where by they force the claimant to sign up to a loan agreement to cover their costs.

3. The Ugly

Well I'm sure you know what sort of companies come under this heading.
    Our old "friends" Basil and the C word for starters.

These are the companies that cold call claimants and feed them a complete pack of Bovine Excrement.
    You know the kinds of things, The OFT has won and all fees are claimable, CCA "loopholes", HUGE charges simply to look at agreements, dodgy assignments, etc.

Their business model is based on fleecing claimants and affiliate marketing scams. It's companies that fall into this category that need to be reported to MoJ etc..

Some companies are covered here: Bank Charge Reclaim Companies - Legal Beagles

Re: Claims Management Companies - Are they ALL bad

Thanks for that Curly, there are also the companies who are uncontactable, won't deal with hardship claims, charge huge cancellation/claim withdrawal fees under the BAD part.

The Ugly, yep affiliate marketing scammers - those 'front'sites to collect personal data to sell to the biggies. Also companies who claim, or intentionally mislead, members of the public into believing they are 'official' and related to the OFT/FSA/Banks/HMRC - these also need reporting.

this thread over on MSE has a lot of queries, problems and comments from people who have or are using CMC's - Anyone had experience of a company/solicitor doing the work of reclaiming? (merged) - MoneySavingExpert.com Forums
    Last edited by Amethyst; 17th April 2009, 12:52:PM.
    #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

Friends just had a call ''on behalf of barclays' saying they would give her £400 bank charges back for an admin fee of £49.99 which she'd get back with the charges. Thankfully I'd pre~warned her so she gave them nothing, and she doesn't have any charges anyway, although she does bank with Barclays.
      #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

Hi,
        can you reccomend an honest claims management company , I have been done by CCK, and am looking at Century 21 at the moment?
        Vinay

Comment

Vinay, the real question is WHY, not WHO.
          The whole process of reclaiming can be done off your own back.
          Why waste YOUR money hiring a third party to do, what is basically a straightforward process, for you.
          On the whole they tend to charge large fess and high percentages of final pay outs.

Comment

Originally posted by Curlyben View Post
            Claims Management Companies (CMC) - Are they ALL bad ?

3. The Ugly

Well I'm sure you know what sort of companies come under this heading.
            Our old "friends" Basil and the C word for starters.

These are the companies that cold call claimants and feed them a complete pack of Bovine Excrement.
            You know the kinds of things, The OFT has won and all fees are claimable, CCA "loopholes", HUGE charges simply to look at agreements, dodgy assignments, etc.
            My word it certainly looks like my initial suspicions in regards to your resentment towards Mr Rankine are 100% spot on Curlyben.

You said nothing could be further from the truth...yeah right pull the other one

Comment

Dislike, mistrust and disbelief are not the same as resentment.
              Any opinions I give are my own. Any advice I give is without liability. If you are unsure, please seek qualified legal advice.

IF WE HAVE HELPED YOU PLEASE CONSIDER UPGRADING TO VIP - click here

Comment

I am dealing with a company who I paid to claim back credit card and loan charges, unfortunately I can never speak to them on the phone. They quoted we could get our charges back in 10 weeks it has now been 7 months.

Comment

Hi Daisy May

Firstly welcome to Legal Beagles.

Do you have the name of the company?

Are they authorised with the Ministry of Justice?

Have you contacted the Ministry of Justice to make a complaint?

Have you written to them either by post or email?

Have you tried speaking to your Credit card company and Loan company to see if a claim has been paid out?

Tuttsi

Originally posted by DAISY MAY09 View Post
                  I am dealing with a company who I paid to claim back credit card and loan charges, unfortunately I can never speak to them on the phone. They quoted we could get our charges back in 10 weeks it has now been 7 months.

Comment

checking whether your CCA is enforceable is not a "claim".

why can't people get that through their heads?

Even if you are a company who only deals with checking CCA enforceability, you shouldn't need to be regulated by MOJ at all, since you are not claiming anything on behalf of anyone.

MOJ is a joke, and their director should be fired for regulating something which doesn't exist.

pathetic.

Comment

Originally posted by dildobaggins View Post
                      checking whether your CCA is enforceable is not a "claim".

why can't people get that through their heads?

Even if you are a company who only deals with checking CCA enforceability, you shouldn't need to be regulated by MOJ at all, since you are not claiming anything on behalf of anyone.

MOJ is a joke, and their director should be fired for regulating something which doesn't exist.

pathetic.
                      Dildo, are you posting in response to Daisymays post or just ranting ?

If you are posting in response to Daisymay then it's pretty clear from what she has written that she is attempting to claim back charges rather than seek to determine CCA unenforcability.

Comment

Hi Daisy

Have you had any luck in contacting your credit card company to see if your claim has been paid to the CMC.

Also, can you let us know which CMC you were dealing with?

Thanks
                        Tuttsi

Originally posted by DAISY MAY09 View Post

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                        Working...
                        X