• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Pre-purchase Gas Check Missed Faults

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pre-purchase Gas Check Missed Faults

I bought a BTL flat last year and got the vendor to pay for a landlord’s gas check; the check came up with a few minor faults that the vendor had corrected. Last month the same person from the same company did a check and came up with a list of different faults that probably existed when the first check took place, but now of course they may have to be corrected at my expense instead of the previous owners. I think the gas company should correct the faults for free, do you think I might have a valid case, how would you approach the issue?

I intend to ask them when the rules came in for the faults they found last month.

Re: Pre-purchase Gas Check Missed Faults

From what you state are you saying you think the initial check wasnt carried out correctly and they missed faults.

If so you need to report them to Corgi.

What type of faults is he coming up with now?
    What makes you think they were already in existence.

Comment

As an ex-gas fitter I can say these faults have more than likely been there for only a short time. At any hint of a fault all gas fitters and inspectors will condem an appliance or boiler to cover their own ass. I don't think you will get anywhere by tackling the previous landlord or the firm that checked the gas appliances.
      Borrow money from a pessimist -- they don't expect it back.

Comment

The faults noted on the 2nd visit but not on the 1st are:
        Gas pipe undersized
        No cross bonding of pipework
        No Compartment ventilation (Check manufactures instructions)
        No earth bonding at meter
        Flue position too close to pipe work

The above aspects of the installation haven’t changed since the 1st visit in Oct 2007, so unless new regulations came out since then, I believe they should have been noted at the 1st visit.

Comment

Hi Chrispedro,

These are pretty serious faults and should have been noted and changed or condemed by any reputable gas fitter or inspector. If I had come across problems such as no compartment ventilation and no cross bonding, I would have shut the supply off. I would contact the person who sold the flat and inform them that you are not happy with the situation and tell them it is their responsibility to put things right, or at least pay some of the costs of making things right/safe.

Comment

The inspection form states that the boiler is safe to use and the above points are warnings.

I’m sure the seller will put up a lot of resistance to her paying for the remedial work, on what legal grounds can she be forced to pay for it?

Comment

I found this, it might give you some pointers.

http://www.letlink.co.uk/letting-fac...ions-1998.html

Good luck.

Comment

The gas man is at fault here not the vendor, she just employed him in good faith. A case for CORGI I think.

Comment

I'm fuzzy on the legal situation, but think the case may hang on who I had the contract with and/or if the gas company had a duty of care that transfered to me as the purchaser.

If the seller employed a company that was neglegent, then perhaps she is liable for their failings; so perhaps I would sue her and she could sue the case company.

Does anyone know the legal situation?

Comment

I think it's much more simple than that - contact the company who sent the gas fittter and show them the 2 reports - see what the ywill do to remedy it before you contact CORGI, Trading Standards etc.

Comment

I have to agree with emerald, but make sure you ALWAYS keep the original reports.

Once you have got it settled with the fitter, I would still report their actions to Corgi

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                      Working...
                      X