• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Supermarket "Value" Ranges

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Supermarket "Value" Ranges

As a follow up to PKea's thread here: High street price traps - Legal Beagles and Natties comments

Concerning "Value" ranges, which supermarkets have the:
    • Best overall
    • Worst
    • Recommendations
    • Anything Else

So what do you all think, have you completely made the switch or pick and choose ??
    Do they truly represent good value for money ?

Re: Supermarket "Value" Ranges

I have noticed in Tesco they now have a range which they call 'cheaper alternative'. Online shopping; these alternatives are recommended when you put a branded product in your basket. I was checking out a few of these instore and found these products have the same stamp codes (not barcode) as the value range. So I think Tesco have negotiated with these companies to supply them with both at a cheaper price. The value stuff is exactly the same produce as the cheaper alternatives (in Tesco) in my opinion.
    Borrow money from a pessimist -- they don't expect it back.

Comment

Tesco's now have a range called 'Discount Brands' in a Yellow and Red label. We have tried their ham and its very good, they also do a ham trim and thats excellent.
      Obviously there's other lines under that brand too, but havn;t got round to trying them, when I do I'll post up an opinion.

Comment

I tried the Morrisons £1 frozen meal.
        It went in the bin before i tasted it, the smell was awful

Comment

Now in this case I'm not really thinking of Tesco's "one up" value range, (as it appears to be the same product with a more fancy label and bigger price, adn I'm willing to better even healthier margins), more of the normal cruddy labeled "value" ranges.

Comment

Ive just ordered tesco value kidney beans, tortilla chips and other bits will let you know how they taste... I am dubious never brought value food before
            Dragging myself and my family back into the light with the help of Beagles.

My Hardship Claim
            Me VS Abbey Win
            BIL HSBC Credit Card
            BIL EGG
            BIL HSBC Loan
            BIL PPI Win

Comment

The wife likes the value Tortillas as well as tinned tomatoes, both Sainsburys.

We've tried most things and so far the only stuff that really sucks is fresh meat, marg and baked beans.
              Admittedly we're yet to "indulge" in the frozen or ready meal ranges, as we cook fresh.

Comment

We now but Morrisons value fresh orange juice and I also got some value milk chocolate digestives. The value corned beef is ok and I also get the chilled value meals 5 for £4 the lasagne, cottage pie and spag boll are fine (for the lad as a fill up lol)

Comment

Asda's 5 for £4 frozen meals are ok to keep as a quick fix snack. The shepherds pie, chicken curry and lasagne are eatable, and so is the spag bol. The cheapo orange juice is fine, its only about 39p for a 1 litre carton, the apple juice is nice too. Tesco's pasta sauces are lovely. The very cheapo one at about 24p is okay to use as a base, but the ones which are about 70-80p are really nice, just as good as Ragu or Dolmio. Tesco's dogfood and catfood are eatable (for the dogs and cats that is lol).

I think that the best place for good value frozen stuff is Iceland. I know Kerry Katona is enought to put anyone off but just ignore her. Also their fresh chickens are only £5 for the large one, which is enough for a Sunday dinner for three with leftovers for Monday's sandwiches. Or if you feed 4 on Sunday, then enough for 2 peeps sarnies on Mondays/.
                  Is no longer here

Comment

Asda ravioli smart price at 20p is pure vile. Tesco value tomato soup is very tinny and is vile as well.
                    Tesco value Meatballs are very very delicious and asda smart price corned beef is no different to any other "Brand" corned beef.

Comment

Tesco value beans, tortilla chips, kidney beans, skimmed milk cartons, chopped tomatoes, carrots, bananas, sweetcorn are regulars. Oh the Rabbit has value rabbit food and left over veggies.

Tesco value cereal, soup and cheese are ikk.

I have started getting the 'discount brand' sliced ham, orange juice, washing powder, pasta sauces etc and they are all good.
                      #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

well I do LIdl or Netto or aldi for my cleaning stuff always loads cheaper and always just as good imo
                        pet food is also good in these stores

Comment

Tesco's cheapo dishwasher tablets do the job just as well as the expensive brands.

I am just testing a hair colourant from Poundland- will report back with results (unless my hair ges green, that is!!)
                          Is no longer here

Comment

Hiya All

This is a very interesting thread !

For quite a long while now I have always gone to Icelands and/or Asda and Sainsburys to do my weekly shop,mainly because I have a chest freezer and it's much cheaper for me to fill it up when I want to. Iceland have so many £1 and £2 frozen meals there which means there is a whole wide range choice to choose from. (My eldest daughter loves their own brand of frozen roast dinner meal s which cost £1.50! lol). Own Iceland brand chips are a quid for a 1.81kg bag.

I have also just recently tried Asda's own brand tinned new potatoes,sweetcorn and mixed veggies. The potatoes were like eating bullets lol but the veggies weren't too bad.

There is also another good idea when I go shopping in Sainsbury's. I'v been trying out their 'Feed Your Family For a Fiver' recipe cards by Jamie Oliver..this is an excellent idea cos you can potentially feed a family of four or five for 35 quid a week!!! all the ingredients are based on Sainsburys own brands. I also look out for 'BOGOFS' when I'm shopping.

My two cats turn there nose up at cheap brand cat food lmao..Salem, one of my cats would rather go hungry than eat cheap. They are both so used to Whiskas etc..(my fault for spoiling them LOL)

Did anyone see that 'Tonight' programme with Martin Lewis on ITV called 'The Double Downshift Challenge through the Eyes of a 12 yr old on the Friday 13th at 8pm?

You can watch it here if you didn't see it >>>http://www.itv.com/News/tonight/Contactus/default.html... this programme shows that you can save alot of money each year by downshifting products..it's very interesting!

Here is another link to Martin's site about Supermarket savings...
                            Supermarket Shopping: Halve your weekly bill by beating the system...

bfxz
                            Last edited by bloomingflower; 16th March 2009, 15:01:PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Member of the Beagles £2 coin and small change savers clubs, both based in the Debt Forum

Comment

Hi all

Tried quite a few of the Tesco value brands and can report that their cream cheese, tomato ketchup, HP sauce equivalent and their tinned tomatoes are all fine. Also their cheaper tinfoil. Unfortunately cannot stomach their value brand tea; tasteless. Slightly off topic but our branch has a counter selling off hunks of parmesan and other cheeses, and yesterday we bought a Gala pie for 99p.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                              Working...
                              X