• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Neighbour Causing Trouble With Hsbc

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Neighbour Causing Trouble With Hsbc

Hi, I hope this isn't too off-topic and that someone can advise me. I've just had a letter from my mortgage company HSBC saying they have been told by a third party that I have been letting my flat. Now I told them this in October 2007 a month before the agreement started and have a copy of my letter, and all statements etc have been coming to my current address without comment since. I don't like their tone though, implying I have been deceiving them.

However much more upsettingly they have been told that the property is in a state of disrepair and want to know what steps I am taking to rectify matters. They aren't specific about what they've been told, but in any case I would strongly dispute this. However I'm pretty sure that a malicious neighbour has told them this lie; I have suffered from harassment and nuisance from that neighbour (upstairs flat) since 2000 which is one reason why I don't live there (and am unable to sell). Over Christmas superglue was inserted into my Ingersoll lock there on two occasions, costing £200 to fix and that's the mildest of the problems I've had with her. At one point she was running her flat as a crack den and myself and other neighbours campaigned for an ASBO which we got. Ever since she has been hellbent on revenge. My dilemma is how much of this to tell the bank, who require me to contact them today. Also, I want to see what she has written, because it constitutes harrassment I think, and is a breach of her ASBO. Noone in my neighbourhood wants it lifted as although her general behaviour has improved, she has a criminal boyfriend who would move straight back and start dealing drugs again if it was; he is currently banned from living there.

Oh, and this IS related to debt in that she refused to have our leases updated in 2000 and I had to take her to court to render my property marketable. The whole thing cost £46,000 over a four year period as she was adept at causing the maximum amount of trouble - unfortunately she is a solicitor, though not currently employed. Am very worried and distressed and simply don't know what to say to HSBC. Any help very gratefully received.

Re: Neighbour Causing Trouble With Hsbc

Hi MG,
    Just wondered when you informed HSBC that you were about to rent out your flat, did they not ask you to change to a Buy to Let mortgage or charge you anything?
    Did they acknowledge your letter and if so do you have a copy?

Comment

Hi, no I didn't receive a reply. I realise now that I ought to have thought this peculiar but I was still involved in the ludicrous litigation with the nightmare neighhour at the time so I had my eye off the ball. And as I said, they have never queried my change of address.

Thanks for replying. Kind regards, MG

Comment

I let my house out, but I got a Buy to Let mortgage, with a higher interest rate, but Interest only, so it works out ok. I also use a letting agent.
        If I were you and I am no expert on this by any means, I would have a look at your mortgage agreement see if it states anything about letting out.
        If it says just to inform them, then you have done the right thing and I don't see what they can do.
        It just seems strange you had no reply to your letter.

Comment

Are you certain that the source of their information is the neighbour?

You write that "I'm pretty sure that a malicious neighbour has told them this lie; I have suffered from harassment and nuisance from that neighbour (upstairs flat) since 2000..." so, you are not certain, yet you also write "Also, I want to see what she has written, because it constitutes harrassment I think, and is a breach of her ASBO" so you believe it is this same neighbour, or do you know for certain?

In addition, if you have written to HSBC and informed them, you have done as much as you need to, provided as enaid advises, your mortgage terms and conditions allow you to rent out the mortgaged property.

Comment

Thanks for replies. I thought I had done what I should. I just can't think why HSBC would be writing to me about 'disrepairs' which don't exist unless someone was trying to cause trouble for me, and the other flat-owner (there are 3 flats in the building) told me last week that the nuisance neighbour is still very angry and has been talking about trying to take me to court again... hence the suspicion.

I guess I will have to ask HSBC directly what they think is wrong in the property. Thanks for advice anyway.

Comment

Of course we have not seen the letter that HSBC sent you, nor your letter of October 2007, but I would suggest that you reply informing them that they were informed that you have let the property, as you informed them in October 2007 and that you are not aware that the property is in a state of disrepair. Further, I would invite them to be more specific and you will be in a position to respond further. Keep it short and simple, a few lines should suffice and until you receive a full and detailed response, there is little else you can do.

Comment

Just nerved myself to speak to HSBC and they were actually very pleasant. Say that if I can prove that I wrote in October 2007 - which I can - then the their tenancy department will sort everything out in retrospect. Said not to worry about the 'disrepair' paragraph which is apparently standard in such letters where they believe the property may be unoccupied. This is interesting; it was unoccupied from Nov to this last Saturday as I struggled to find a suitable tenant after the first set left, due to the supergluing of locks etc. Really only my neighbours would know that. Enaid, I wasn't asked for my mortgage details by the letting agent, by the way.

So rather than going into a lot of detail about my suspicions I simply just that if they had received a letter about this from a third party then it might be a matter for the police, as under the terms of the ASBO she is not allowed to harrass me in any way. They said they would take this into account. If I have to pay a higher interest rate because my letter of October 2007 failed to arrive, then I just do... fortunately I'm on the variable rate and have had three interest rate cuts in the past six months and am due another so I can probably cope with a rise now.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                Working...
                X