• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Kafka v Barclaycard

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kafka v Barclaycard

I have sent the Prelim Letter today for this claim.

Charges come to just over £600 and current interest rate is 12.6%

They only sent the statements for 6 years and there is a small amount going back further than 6 years. I am including this also and will include the relevant info in the POC.

K.

Re: Kafka v Barclaycard

I have received a letter from Barclaycard saying they have reduced the credit limit on this account by £220 due to a review and using info from CRAs and their own details. They have also removed the ability to withdraw cash in the UK for a minimum of 6 months.

Only once before have they done this even when the account was in arrears, and then only by £50.

This is clearly a punitive action because I have sent them a Prelim Letter on 7th and I will be complaining about this to the FOS. It will be interesting to see if the FOS try to freeze the complaint, as this has nothing to do with the test case.

K.

Comment

Ok - this is getting interesting...

I received today a letter from a Customer Relationship Manager with the usual bull about how sorry they are but they disagree blah blah.

However, as a 'gesture without admission of liability' they are refunding the diference between the charges taken and the £12 current one. This amounts to £248 and with the statement also arriving today this has already been credited on 13th, without any permission or response from my self.

By one of those happy statistical miracles (that only happen once in a lifetime) my account balance of £250.29 is now £29.71 below the new limit, instead of £218.29 above it.

The reduction in the credit limit was obviously calculated as an arbitrary figure that enabled the account to be reduced below the new credit limit, hoping that this would but put off either the claim or the complaint to the FOS about the punitive reduction in the limit because I am reclaiming.

WRONG BARCLAYCARD - but at last there is something to agree on. At last there is something transparent about their dealings.

I propose to carry on with the claim and they can expect an LBA forbreakfast on Thursday. I will also write to the FOS as this is a clear case of punitive action because of a claim.
      Last edited by Kafka; 21st September 2007, 17:32:PM. Reason: typo

Comment

Barclaycard reduced my husbands limit from £3500 to £310, for no reason at all, in fact he'd just paid off his 3k balance in full, never been over the limit, never been charged or anything! They just said it was following a review etc and that was that1 No appeals, nothing. I think they did us a favour really cos we'd probably have used it eventually, but what annoyed him was no notice, no discussions, nothing, just a letter saying it was reduced!

Never any charges on the account so nothing to have a go at them for....never mind...
        Is no longer here

Comment

Re: Kafka v Barclaycard ***SETTLED***

well well well

I was due to produce the N1 this weekend for filing against Barclaycard.

A letter came today with the usual garbage, but offering all the remaining charges I was claiming. Interestingly, these go back as far as the statements from them do, June 2001, so there is an element of pre-6 years that they have not challenged.

The balance has (apparently) been credited to the card, so it gives me a positive balance in the account that I can draw on. They have refused to pay interest, but then I wasn't claiming that in the letters.

Barclaycard is one bank that has actually been applying for stays on CC claims, so I was expecting a fight, but in view of the fact that I have others to fight I don't plan to chase them for the interest now.

There still remains the matter of the punitive reduction in credit limit and I will be notifying the FOS about this in the hope that it can prevent such damage being vested on others, where the results can be more serious.

This win will give me the money to file the first CC claim against LTSB, who have just replied that they will not make any refund whatever. I'll start a thread on that one separately.

K.

Comment

I take it you won then Kafka lol, I thought these were the toughest, but mine came popping through the post unexpectedly too

Comment

Originally posted by enaid View Post
              I take it you won then Kafka lol, I thought these were the toughest, but mine came popping through the post unexpectedly too
              I haven't tried to use the card yet - only have the bank's word for it - not exactly a gilt-edged security is it?

Comment

Pity your not coming to Wakey next week, you could have tried it out theremsl:

Comment

Good news Kafka. In the light of how easy you've made this look, and being as i'm on a bit of a roll, I am going to scav around to see if Ii can find a few charges on OH's aforementioned barclaycard! I know I said there weren't any but there must be some lurking around somewhere, surely?????

Well done you!
                  Is no longer here

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                  Working...
                  X