• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

I did predict that this might happen. Pity it DID

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I did predict that this might happen. Pity it DID

Exeter bank attack, Marcus Butler | Exeter News | This Is Exeter

Bank worker attacked over overdraft charge

Monday, March 09, 2009, 06:54
    Comment on this story

FURY over overdraft fees led an Exeter man to attack a female bank worker, punching her unconscious at a city centre branch, a court has heard.
    Marcus Butler, 33, of no fixed abode, has been jailed for a year for the attack upon an employee at the Lloyds bank in Exeter High Street.
    The woman's tooth was knocked loose, she needed her jaw to be temporarily wired together and is still suffering the pain of her injuries, after Butler kicked her and then punched her in the face.
    She fell into a Christmas tree that was on display and was knocked unconscious by the attack, Exeter Crown Court was told on Friday.
    Butler, who is unemployed and homeless, was angry that he had been charged £39 for a 98p overdraft.

He lashed out before waiting to find out that the bank was going to drop the fee after staff learnt of his circumstances.
    He said in a statement: "I would like to apologise but would not bank with them any more."
    Butler has pleaded guilty to causing the woman actual bodily harm. He has previous convictions for violence against another woman, drugs and harassment.
    Prosecutor Ann Hampshire said the victim was a branch team leader who went over to help other staff on December 10 last year, because Butler was being abusive and was known as being a difficult customer.
    "Lloyds Bank is one of those branches where the glass partitions have been removed and staff are in an open-plan situation between them and customers," said the prosecutor.
    The woman told Butler that his account was being closed because of his repeatedly aggressive behaviour, and handed his money over.
    "She described his continued swearing, and because she didn't want to inflame the situation, she turned away," said Ms Hampshire. "She took two steps away and suffered a kick to her leg.
    "As she turned around, she was punched very hard to the face, to her right cheek by her jaw, and fell into a display Christmas tree and momentarily lost consciousness. When she came to, she was lying in the tree with pain to her face."
    The woman said in a statement: "I will not consider dealing with irate customers as I am in fear and I will not risk getting hurt again. It is sad as other staff used to come to me to help defuse situations as I, from my experience, could calm people down.
    "The whole experience has knocked my faith in human nature."
    Defence counsel Nigel Wraith said Butler had a difficult upbringing, was homeless and had financial problems. He had felt embarrassed about his situation at the bank before he lashed out. "He doesn't know why he did what he did," said Mr Wraith. "He never sought to do it."
    He added Butler did not flee the scene and was arrested outside.
    Recorder Paul Derbyshire told the defendant: "This was an entirely unprovoked attack by you on a lady who was simply trying to do her job."

Re: I did predict that this might happen. Pity it DID

Shame it had to come to this, but that's the level of feeling in this as you know.

Comment

That was extream!

But check out this claimant

http://www.thisishullandeastriding.c...l/article.html

I emailed It to a few media people but no one wanted to run with it.
      The charges coming in to the banking industry every day will more than pay the banks total legal bill for the whole test case so why wouldn’t the Banks want to "ensure Justice at the highest level"

Comment

This idiot would lash out at anything, bank charges just happened to be the trigger here. If you read the article, you'll notice that he "...has previous convictions for violence against another woman, drugs and harassment" and "...Butler was being abusive and was known as being a difficult customer."

Of far more grave concern are the comments posted in reply to the article posted by Robster. Have you read them?

I stopped after this piece of prose "Louise love , you attauly make me feel sorry for you!" but there was also; "Becky you haven't known him long enough to understand what damage he has coursed..." and how can I not mention this insightful soliloquy? "dat is lyk wt ma bro did but he was wrecked and all he sed was give me all ya money and ran out he was onli messin bwt wids all his mates the men in the shops were laughing he still gt 6 months 4 it though he is out now lol xxxx so dnt do it it is stupid xxxxxxx"

Are there no schools in Hull?

Comment

Not nice............. but unprovoked..............a charge of £39 for being 38p OD.......... I don't think so
          ------------------------------- merged -------------------------------
          I dun..........no Cel .................... are their
          Last edited by righty; 11th March 2009, 14:30:PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

Originally posted by Cetelco View Post

Of far more grave concern are the comments posted in reply to the article posted by Robster. Have you read them?
            I read them and even worse than the grammar, spelling is the fact they are playing out their private family problems on a local papers message board!! What happened to 'dirty washing' in public.

'I know this family well. I think that its a laugh that the police, court, hull daily mail and readers would actually believe such crap. His wife (who have been seperated for around 2yrs) works up to 6 nights a week paying off the credit cards he applied for in her name and the mortgage, he has remortgaged for internet gamberling and his children, who he continuously badmouths to and her own bills on top of that, shes a saint not an alcoholic. As well as him been a gambler, bully and unemployed, I cant really say why she left him other than he certainly looks very pretty with long blonde hair and id advise the other prisoners not to drop any soap. He has never had cancer, it just shows you what some people will make up to get a lighter sentence doesn't it? If you think the threats on the DVD were bad you should listen to the messages he used to leave his wife!'
            hollie, hull

Followed by:

'Hollie! i know this family well to! well enogh to know your a complete LIAR! Oh you make me laugh you must be releated to his wife then yeah??
            All i can say is there house is like my second home , i spent alot of time with this family and they are the lovelyest! Andrew , or how i like to call him ANDY! is one of the nicest people i no , he is such a lovely man!I no this wasnt the best thing hes done but what would you do if u were in 90 grand debt which was half somebody elses!!!! he just wanted the best for the girls!!! what kind of man who'd rob a bank would spend it on food a washing machine and lamanet flooring and an ipod for him daugther because she really wanted one! ERm not a crimnal a person who was tryin to provied for him family and didnt want to worrie them! And i no FULL well she was an alcholic! so dont lie love! And for everyone whos sayin he should of got longer , you complete idiots! and dont no half the story or you must be realeted to the wife! dont you think the girls have been through enoght without you saying all this crap do you no how upset people like you and HOLLIE made them! bulid a bridge and get over your life!!!!!!
            glad hes out soon!
            i love the girls so much exspecially one of my bestfriends!!!! '

becky, Hull
            Luminol x

Comment

Can we bring back hanging for bad grammar and spelling? Please.

Comment

Originally posted by Niklowe View Post
                Can we bring back hanging for bad grammar and spelling? Please.
                That is one of your better ideas.

Comment

Originally posted by Amy View Post
                  That is one of your better ideas.
                  some days you sound so schoolteacher like

Comment

Originally posted by natweststaffmember View Post
                    some days you sound so schoolteacher like
                    I'd be sacked the day I started.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                    Working...
                    X