• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Money Matters/Claims Financial Ltd

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Money Matters/Claims Financial Ltd

Mrs LB received an unsolicited email today from a company calling itself Money Matters, offering to get back bank charges on her behalf. Note that Money Matters is not who you are thinking of. Exactly.

Mr Angry (formerly Luggerbugs) forwarded it to the MoJ for investigation. Email below. It says it all really. Even if it was a spur of the moment angrygram. :tinysmile_twink_t2:

Dear Sir/Madam

I would like to pass this email on to you if I may, as I have serious concerns regarding the businesses involved.

This was received by my wife as an unsolicited email from the company concerned. My wife has no associations whatsoever with this company, and so the email may be regarded as SPAM. We are therefore concerned about where Money Matters procured my wife’s email address, potentially a matter for the Information Commissioner’s Office.

The emailing company concerned is calling itself Money Matters, which in my opinion, is an attempt at passing off, the name being synonymous in many peoples minds with the well known programme of the same name.

I have checked the company online, and the company appears to be dormant.

The company does not appear to be regulated by the Ministry of Justice, which I believe is required in order to trade in claims management.

I believe the company Money Matters is a trading partner of a claims company calling themselves Claims Financial Limited, operating a website at http://www.claimsfinancial.co.uk/

Claims Financial is, I believe, misleading potential customers. Their bank charges service for instance, refers to the concept of bank charges as being penalties. No mention is made of the OFT v Banks test case, which has recently reached its conclusion. There is certainly no mention of the fact that the OFT, assuming any possible petition by the banks for leave to appeal to the House of Lords fails, will now be looking to assess the fairness of charges and that banks will be required to refund charges in any case once the OFT reaches a decision.

Claims Financial fails to mention that any attempt to take a bank to court for a refund of bank charges will be stayed pending the final outcome of the test case, nor does it mention that The Financial Ombudsman Service will not consider any complaints regarding bank charges pending that outcome. Indeed, the information provided on the website indicates that these are legitimate courses of action even now.

No mention is made of costs should it be necessary to proceed to court. No warnings are given about the potential of losing in court, or the consequences of doing so.

When mentioning the FOS, the site gives the impression that this route might be “quicker and cheaper” than going to court. It fails to mention that a court will very likely take the view that an alternate method of resolution should have been attempted before contemplating court action.

As I have also copied the companies concerned into this email, it is possible that the site may be closed down or altered before an investigation is conducted. In anticipation therefore, I have taken the liberty of downloading the entire site, which I shall archive should you require to see it.

Please do contact me at this email address at any time should you require any further information.

Regards,

Iain Smith

Sent: 01 March 2009 13:10
    To: Luggerbugs
    Subject: Fw: Reclaim unfair bank charges ...

----- Original Message -----

To:

Sent: Friday, February 27, 2009 8:50 PM

Subject: Reclaim unfair bank charges ...

To view this email online, please go here:

Reclaim thousands in unfair bank charges - get help today!

It's a scandal.

The banks make billions of pounds every year by charging us every time we go over the agreed limit or each time a cheque bounces or a direct debit fails. Now Money Matters has teamed up with Claims Financial Limited so that you can win this money back AND charge your bank interest.

The average claim value is £1750.

Claims Financial Limited are helping thousands of people like you claim back these charges going back 6 years. We could do the same for you. Go to Claims Financial Limited and we will do the rest for you.

Remember, if we don't win you do not pay a penny.

Kind regards

-Obtain the correct records for you

- Assess the value of your claim which will also include statutory interest

- Communicate with your bank from start to finish

- Negotiate the highest possible amount

- Chase your cheque after the dispute is resolved

- Refer your case to The Financial Services Ombudsman and manage the whole process

Your email address has been provided by Money Matters Online (LTW (UK) Ltd). Click here to view our privacy statement.
    Registered Office: 75a Manor Road , Ossett, Wakefield WF5 0LD. Company Number: 6331013
    To no longer receive our emails (unsubscribe), please click this link. Thank you.

My Blog
    http://cabotfanclub.wordpress.com

Re: Money Matters/Claims Financial Ltd

Well done Lugger,

Their address is very close to me and upon doing a quick google to ID exactly where they are it turned up some interesting results.

A few companies are/have been registered at that address including
    • B K A (Bev King)~ 01924-274445 Tagged as an employment consultants
    • Jackson Jackson & Co.~ 01924261680 tagged as an accountants
    • Certax Accounting (Wakefield) Ltd ~ 01924 265200
    • N E G ~ 01924 416777 A construction Contractor

Next time I drive up that way I will have a little nosey for you and take some piccies , may even call in and ask them about my bank charges..............ooops, just remembered Nick, forgot to give you that recorder back at the hearing the other day, may come in useful though

Do you want me to tell them Mrs Lugger sent me ?
    Any opinions I give are my own. Any advice I give is without liability. If you are unsure, please seek qualified legal advice.

IF WE HAVE HELPED YOU PLEASE CONSIDER UPGRADING TO VIP - click here

Comment

LOL. Why not. And tell them the other directorships I've discovered are under scrutiny too.
      My Blog

Comment

Have also noticed they do not provide a telephone number (I'm sure they are supposed to) and their privacy statement refers to http://www.moneymattersonline.uk.com which is a dead url throwing up

Forbidden, perhaps you need to change the file permissions for this document or upload an index page.
        The actual site is uk.net, not sure if this really matters but its more fuel for the fire to the MoJ if you want Lugger.
        Any opinions I give are my own. Any advice I give is without liability. If you are unsure, please seek qualified legal advice.

Comment

Originally posted by LuggerBugs View Post
          LOL. Why not. And tell them the other directorships I've discovered are under scrutiny too.
          PM me them if you like Lugger, I`ll print it all off and confront them with it if you like lol.

Comment

This is interesting...

Name Richard Stephen Windsor Roberts
            Locate the home address of this director

Latest address
            2 Ingle Lane Individual report for this director
            Menston
            Ilkley
            West Yorkshire
            LS29 6QR

Officers Title
            Mr Date Of Birth 26/07/1966

Honours Present Appointments

Other known addresses
            Current Directorships
            Company Name Company Number Function Company Status Appointment Date
            MONEY MATTERS ONLINE LIMITED 06721013 Director Active - Newly Incorporated 14/10/2008
            GO ONLINE MARKETING LIMITED 06718125 Director Active - Newly Incorporated 08/10/2008
            THE FOLD LIMITED 06394367 Director Dissolution 09/10/2007
            LTW (UK) LIMITED 06331013 Director Dormant Company 14/10/2008
            JEMBOUTIQUE LIMITED 05823939 Company Secretary In Liquidation 22/06/2006
            THE BET COLLECTION EXCHANGE
            LIMITED 04802039 Director Dissolution 17/06/2003
            GO DIRECT MANAGEMENT LIMITED 04416332 Director Active - Accounts Filed 15/04/2002
            THE DATA COMPANY (UK) LIMITED 04117177 Director Dormant Company 21/12/2000
            GO DIRECT MARKETING LIMITED 03856040 Director Active - Accounts Filed 18/10/1999
            Previous 20
            | Next 20

Previous Directorships
            Company Name Company
            Number Function Company Status Appointment
            Date
            Resignation
            Date
            GENUINECO LIMITED 04913438 Director Company not trading 29/03/2005 01/10/2005
            GENUINECO LIMITED 04913438 Company
            Secretary Company not trading 01/10/2003 29/03/2005
            SURE TO WIN LIMITED 04817717 Company
            Secretary
            Active - Accounts
            Filed 11/07/2003 14/02/2005
            THE BET COLLECTION LIMITED 04309387 Director Non trading 29/10/2001 09/10/2007
            REYKJAVIK 101 LIMITED 04309385 Company
            Secretary
            Active - Accounts
            Filed 29/10/2001 01/01/2003
            BOOTH IMPERIAL HOLDINGS
            LIMITED 03446918 Director Company is dissolved 25/11/2005 26/10/2007
            HIGHBURY DIRECT LIMITED 02092639 Director Company is dissolved 01/07/1991 22/05/1993
            BOOTH IMPERIAL LIMITED 00671478 Director In Liquidation 25/11/2005 26/10/2007
            Some dodgy looking scams in there. OOPS. Did I say scam? So sue me.
            My Blog

Comment

WOOHOO!!! A reply...

I do hope the companies concerned have read my earlier email. LOLOLOL

Good Afternoon

Thank you for email, the content of which has been noted.

I can confirm that your complaint will be investigated and action taken as appropriate.

If you have any further queries regarding this issue please quote reference number xxxxxx in any future correspondence.

Regards

XXXX XXXXXX
              Claims Management Officer

Claims Management Regulation,
              Monitoring and Compliance Unit
              57- 60 High Street
              Burton on Trent
              Staffordshire
              DE14 1JS

Tel. 0845 450 6858
              Fax. 0845 450 6866

CMR: Claims Management Regulation

My Blog

Comment

Dear LuggerBugs

I was doing a search for Money Matters today and came across your thread. I hope you don't mind if I clarify what the situation is?

Money Matters is a lead generation business that manages an amalgamation of databases (all having offered the correct third party opt out) and promotes various offers to the data under it's management. We are not trying to pass ourselves off as anything other than what we are?

Money Matters works with a range clients (one of whom is Claims Financial) across a wide spectrum of markets acting as an affiliate (i.e. introducing "leads") however the businesses are not associated more than via a commercial agreement.

Money Matters registered address is our accountants and the address found by Tools is my home address. I resent someone claiming there are lots of "scams" there, but each to his own I suppose ....

If you would like any further explanations, please do not hesitate to contact me at windsor@moneymattersonline.uk.com.

I apologise about our phone number not being shown .... this is a technical error and one I will resolve in the morning. If you would like to know where you wife's e-mail address came from and as much supplementary information I can provide, I will look into it immediately (but I'll need the e-mail address).

If I can help further, please let me know.

Windsor

Comment

Absolutely NOT WR. I am not going to provide email addresses at all. You already know EXACTLY where you obtain your email adresses from, and nothing you say will convince me that your emails are anything other than SPAM, promoting a SCAM. Your mention of a database of "opted in" email addresses does nothing to convince me that those addresses were ever obtained legitimately. I receive thousands of emails too where there is an "opt out" link at the bottom. For quite obvious reasons, I never click that link. The majority of those emails too offer unsavoury and/or illegal products and services.

However, if you genuinely wish to assist, then assuming your email address is correct in the first place, you will have already seen the complaint that I made to the regulator as both you and Claims Financial were copied on that complaint. It shouldn't be too hard to work out surely.

To clarify, the email address that you sent the email to is one which is NEVER divulged to any other business. Therefore there is no possible way that it was included legitimately in your database, whether opted in OR out. The fact too, that the link to your PRIVACY STATEMENT is invalid further strengthens my view that your emails are spam. I am therefore minded to make a seperate complaint about that matter, and you can justify to someone else how you obtain your email addresses.

You will of course, have had plenty of opportunity to reassess your business relationship with Claims Financial by now, and will have taken on board the comments I made to the regulator. I assume therefore that you will no longer be trading with that company, although your comment that you will be rectifying the matter of the missing telephone number leads me to believe otherwise and that your spamfest will continue. Hopefully though, Claims Financial will soon be out of business in any case.

Might I ask you to clarify another point while you are in the mood for being helpful? Are the records correct when they identify Money Matters as being a dormant company?

I do wonder how you can sleep at night, making profit from vulnerable people. For that is exactly who these claims companies are targetting, make no mistake about it. You may think you are distancing yourself from their unscrupulous business model by claiming that your relationship is merely that of an affiliate, but that is not a view I share. I consider you to be equally culpable.

I'm sorry if you think you are being unfairly targetted here, but this is perhaps something you should have considered before you got involved with this shower of ambulance chasers and started a mass email campaign: eventually somebody gets fed up of people like you and bites back.
                  Last edited by LuggerBugs; 3rd March 2009, 04:35:AM.
                  My Blog

Comment

Dear LuggerBugs

Thanks for your post. I have decided to answer you points within the text and in a different colour so that you can see what I'm referring to. I hope this makes things as clear as possible.

Absolutely NOT WR. I am not going to provide email addresses at all. You already know EXACTLY where you obtain your email adresses from, and nothing you say will convince me that your emails are anything other than SPAM, promoting a SCAM. I cannot force you to do anything. I thought my offer to try and unearth where the e-mail address came from was a fair and reasonable offer. Once ascertained I could provide you with the relevant information and you could take this up with the database owner (as I am purely an intermediary). Our mailings are not SPAM however, as you say, nothing is going to convince you otherwise so there is no point discussing this further. Your mention of a database of "opted in" email addresses does nothing to convince me that those addresses were ever obtained legitimately. For every e-mail address on our database we should be able to provide enough information to prove that the registrant was given an opt out and the address was collected legitimately. Without the address in question I can't do much to help. I receive thousands of emails too where there is an "opt out" link at the bottom. For quite obvious reasons, I never click that link. I guess this is the reason you receive thousands of unrequested e-mails! The majority of those emails too offer unsavoury and/or illegal products and services. The wording of this suggests that what we are offering is illegal? Please provide proof and I will take it up with our legal department. We research all our clients offers so no false accusations, such as this, can be made.

However, if you genuinely wish to assist, then assuming your email address is correct in the first place, you will have already seen the complaint that I made to the regulator as both you and Claims Financial were copied on that complaint. It shouldn't be too hard to work out surely. I clearly want to assoist or wouldn't have posted on this forum but can confirm that I haven't seen the e-mail in question and it would have been escalated to me had it been received. If you would like to send it to me again I will look into it immediately?

To clarify, the email address that you sent the email to is one which is NEVER divulged to any other business. If it has never been divulged to anyone I cannot see how we have e-mailed you? I can only get to the bottom of this if you provide the e-mail address! Therefore there is no possible way that it was included legitimately in your database, whether opted in OR out. There is only one way we can find this out. I am as keen as you to ensure that we are only promoting to data correctly gathered, but we need to work together on this. The fact too, that the link to your PRIVACY STATEMENT is invalid further strengthens my view that your emails are spam. The link to our privacy statement works perfectly well and am not sure what issue you have with this? I am therefore minded to make a seperate complaint about that matter, and you can justify to someone else how you obtain your email addresses. I am quite happy justifying to anyone you care to get involved.

You will of course, have had plenty of opportunity to reassess your business relationship with Claims Financial by now, and will have taken on board the comments I made to the regulator. As I said previously, our legal department have looked into Claims Financial and are happy that they are running a business that doesn't break any laws but I'd be interested to hear anything to the contrary (I haven't seen your comments to the regulator either). I assume therefore that you will no longer be trading with that company, although your comment that you will be rectifying the matter of the missing telephone number leads me to believe otherwise and that your spamfest will continue. I will be discussing this further with our legal department and Claims Financial and cannot comment until I have more information. We need a phone number on the site whether we continue to trade with Claims Financial or not so that will be resolved ASAP (this morning I hope). Hopefully though, Claims Financial will soon be out of business in any case.

Might I ask you to clarify another point while you are in the mood for being helpful? Are the records correct when they identify Money Matters as being a dormant company? I am always helpful ....... No Money Matters started trading in November and is not dormant.

I do wonder how you can sleep at night, making profit from vulnerable people. For that is exactly who these claims companies are targetting, make no mistake about it. Again, I'd be interested to know why you feel they are targetting the vulnerable? I have had two cases that I put through them go in my favour and I am extremely impressed with their approach and results but I welcome your comments? You may think you are distancing yourself from their unscrupulous business model by claiming that your relationship is merely that of an affiliate, but that is not a view I share. Whatever your opinion is, our relationship is purely as an affiliate providing them with leads. We check with a minimum of 5% of those leads as to their satisfaction surrounding how our client dealt with their enquiry, and we have only had glowing reports. I consider you to be equally culpable. That is your opinion, mine is different.

I'm sorry if you think you are being unfairly targetted here, but this is perhaps something you should have considered before you got involved with this shower of ambulance chasers and started a mass email campaign: eventually somebody gets fed up of people like you and bites back. I don't feel I am being unfairly targeted at all. I am very pleased to have found this forum as it may help get a better feel for the market in the future. I will report back once we have investigated further. Thanks for your comments.

Comment

I won't bother to address most of your comments, but I must point you to my first post in this thread to clarify the issues I have with Claims Financial.

This is a direct copy of the complaint that I sent to the regulator. I trust that this will assist you in making your own mind up about the content of their website, and the claims that they are making.

As you find this forum so enlightening, might I ask you to take the time to read some of the information regarding the OFT v Banks test case, especially the most recent news regarding the outcome of the appeals process.
                      My Blog

Comment

Money Matters are (and I am sure i will be corrected if wrong - havent put the address as its windsors home addy but they are not dormant)

Name & Registered Office:
                        LTW (UK) LIMITED
                        CERTAX ACCOUNTING

Company No. 06331013
                        #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

Dear LuggerBugs

I have read the point in your first post of this thread and have to say that it is far too specific for me to comment. I will raise the relevant points with the powers that be and will report back.

I have found out which e-mail address was mailed and have requested further information to prove your allegations about it's collection, that an opt out was not given and that we are spammers are untrue. If I do so I assume that you will apologise on this forum?

Amethyst - no not dormant and that is my home address ... my wife makes a lovely quiche if ever in the area ;-)

Comment

Should you be able to comment about the source and validity of the email address that was used, I shall of course apologise. I will also be contacting your source to have that email address removed from their database, and I assume that as a matter of course, you willl already have removed it from your own mailing list. However, the issue of opting out is, in my view, ridiculous. As far as I'm concerned, you should need to opt IN before a company can pass on your details to any 3rd party. All too often, it is easy to miss the tick box altogether, so you opt in by default. It's a spammers charter as far as I'm concerned.

What I will not apologise for however, is having made my complaint in the first place. I stand by the comments made in my first post and hope that the regulatory body concerned will indeed take steps to ensure that Claims Financial is no longer in any position to mislead people and profit from their vulnerability.

As is very apparent from forum such as this, it is not exactly rocket science to be able to challenge your bank about charges, and certainly does not require anyone to throw a third of their refund down a black hole. Despite the suggestion that would seem to indicate otherwise on certain Claims websites.
                            My Blog

Comment

Dear LuggerBugs

I will be able to do so and have requested they take that e-mail address off their mailing database (as we have). I'm actually hoping to get a scan of the form completed because it was completed off line but cannot confirm I can do that until i hear back from the data owner. I don't disagree about opting in but until there are hard and fast rules it does leave the door open to the less scrupulous (which I can assure you were are NOT). This is how I sleep at night by the way .... by knowing I have done my utmost to offer a good and honest service.

I do not expect an apology about that and can only thank you if your post highlights something felt to be unethical in the practice carried out by Claims financial. If so we will cease working with them indefinitely ......

Is the fact that Claims Financial make too big a claim on the amount won the issue you have with them? When looking for partners to work with we had businesses wanting to charge £500 up from to take cases on! Who (in your opinion) offer the best service for people not wanting to do the leg work themselves? I have to say I was more than happy with their fees as it was money I wouldn't have got back ....

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                              Working...
                              X