• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Only a dimwit

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Only a dimwit

Only a dimwit would send cash through the post, by unregistered mail. Only a dimwit would do this with their clients’ own money. And only a dimwit would pen and sign the accompanying letter.

But a towering figure of financial probity, who languishes at Barclays Bank PLC, was that dimwit.

In a brief moment of supreme and breath-taking stupidity, this knight of the fiduciary, did just that in a response to my mocking spoof donation missive, no doubt enraged by it’s contents.

And just who was this dimwit? Step forward Group Chief Executive of Barclays Bank PLC, John Varley.

To: Mr John Varley
    Group Chief Executive
    Barclays Bank PLC
    1 Churchill Place
    London E14 5HP

31/1/07

Dear Mr Varley

I am writing regarding your net profits in recent years which I'm sure you'll agree are very small indeed. It must be enormously disappointing after putting in so much hard work and effort only to be rewarded with a bottom line of a paltry £178 trillion.

It must be sooooo difficult to motivate youself yet you somehow manage to carry on in the face of adversity with the same passion, dignity and not to mention honesty. I have nothing but the highest admiration and respect for you personally and your bank as a whole. You're a hero.

Is it really true the entire UK banking industry only managed to coin in £4.6 billion from current account penalty charges last year? Talk about tough times. It baffles me how you manage to keep the ship afloat.

But I want you to know that the whole nation is right behind you and soon every decent citizen throughout the land will be digging deep into thier pockets and donating all they possibly can to help you through these desperate times.

Myself and my family have been very busy raising funds already. Although I'm blind, limbless and confined to a hospital bed, I've tried to do my bit by washing cars, busking and even selling my kidneys to the highest bidder (the pair fetched a heart-warming £1.72p on e-bay!} as well the 11 quid my 7 year old raised since I put her on the game.

So please find enclosed £20. Not much I know but at least it'll get you a half decent bottle of claret. Also expect a package from my elderly mother who's put together a few tins of soup and a packet of low fat muffins for you and your family. She's terribly worried that your parlous financial state may mean you're not eating properly.

Pip pip!

EXC

ps And who says the banking industry is not noted for it's sense of humour? Your overdraft fees are a joke!

Did you get a response or £20??

Comment

He sent back the £20 in cash -unregistered post - with a letter simply saying:
      Dear Mr xxxx ''Please find enclosed your £20'' with his signature in ink.
      I'm less sure what happened to the muffins.

I called Barclays customer services to complain of the careless disregard their
      boss showed for my money but they simply would'nt believe me so I wrote
      in and got a groveling apology from his office.

The letters are now framed and hanging in the bathroom.

Comment

LMAO, fantastic.

Comment

PMSL you are priceless!

Comment

As ever EXC you have me chuckling away like a village idiot , no comments from anyone please .

Keep them coming friend
            Any opinions I give are my own. Any advice I give is without liability. If you are unsure, please seek qualified legal advice.

IF WE HAVE HELPED YOU PLEASE CONSIDER UPGRADING TO VIP - click here

Comment

Wonderful EXC (as ever)

K.

Comment

rotfl Priceless

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                Working...
                X