• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Council tax problem.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Council tax problem.

I got a letter on Tuesday headed BAILIFF 14 DAY NOTICE and dated 28 January 2009.

It basically says the local Magistrates court granted a liability order in respect of £68.

I knew nothing about it so phoned the council, apparently I did not pay all my council tax on time (paid in installments so last payment due end January.) So they have made an order for £68.

The £68 is costs only as There was no outstanding council tax payable.

I explained to the idiot on the other end of the phone that I had only got the letter when I returned home from work at 7pm on Tuesday so Wednesday was my first opportunity to call, it was also the last of the 14 days from 28/01/09 when the letter was apparently sent to me. I asked him for some grace so that I could write in and formally object to the chrge as this is the first I had heard about any magistrates hearing.

He said if I did not pay that day the Bailiffs would visit my property the next day and I would the be liable for added costs, so I paid it there and then as I don't want bailiffs at my door, especially when I have done nothing wrong.

So, the question is, What do I do now?

anyone been in this situation before?

Any help appreciated.

Re: Council tax problem.

Write to them and ask when the liability order was granted. How late were your payments to the council?

Comment

I paid the last payment around the 20th January. The court hearing was apparently on 27th Jan.

I paid almost everything that was due (£1000 paid £850) in April and advised the council that I still wanted to take advantage of my right to pay by installments, so in effect I had paid in advance in April, this was accepted by the council and I heard nothing since, paid the remaining £150 around 20 Jan 2009

Comment

Definitely write to them. You've paid everything owed and you paid it before the court date. Therefore, there should not have been a liability order granted given that there was no debt.

Comment

For the council to get a liability order you must have had reminders and even though you think you may be in front of payments it doesn't work like that . Either you pay in full or on time each month , if you don't then you lose the right to pay in installments and costs will be added if you are taken to court and these also have to be paid as well as the original bill.

Pay the fee and then dispute it otherwise you will have to pay hefty fees for a bailiffs visit on top and YES they can still act even if you have paid ALL the original bill but still have outstanding legal fees before the last installment date.
          ------------------------------- merged -------------------------------
          Saying you paid a few days before won't wash as you would have been sent a notice of the court date and by then the council will have already applied the legal fees. They have heard it all before when people react to a letter and think they can avoid the added legal costs by just paying the arrears and saying they didn't receive anything about costs or legal proceedings.
          Last edited by goldenghosty; 28th February 2009, 04:37:AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
          Working...
          X