• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

please hlp

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• please hlp

Dear all,

Last time i was here you guys really help me resolve some issues, thank you so much.

Now i have a new one.

A very close friend of mine has a problem with an estate agents.
    She is from russia but has been in this country for six years. just finished her masters.
    On top of her normal job she also manages some properties for a russian client.
    the properties were bought outright less than a year ago and one was a new build...well it was newly refurbed from a hotel to flats. he paid over 1.8 million for both.

here is the problem.
    She received a bill ( for the client) for sertvice charges in one of the flats. she thought these were well over the top as just the admin on the bill was in excess of £3000

she wrote to the agent for an explanation and to have the bill broken down.

They expected to pay some sort of service charge but not for 2 years. ( this needs to be confirmed from the cotract which is in russia. The client doesnt speak russian) also the charge was an extortionate amount. There wasnt any warning of this service charge and when they first heard about it the letter was just a simple printout. very unprofessional.

this was the reply. Very racist which upset my friend to the point of tears.

Where can we go from here.???

Dear MRS M
    We in England do not appreciate the manner in which your note is couched. I have not the least interest in what you may do as extra work
    We do however, dislike it when a Foreigner who manifestly has no comprehension of how to communicate in a socially acceptable manner, chooses
    to do so in such an aggressive way. For all I know you may be the offspring of an Oligarch and lived in the lap of luxury on the riches which they have screwed out of the Russian People.
    On the other hand you may be a simple girl fleeing the disagreeable environment of a dictatorial state
    in which, if you find yourself in opposition to the current dictatorship, you are eliminated. You would also presumably be glad to escape the drab surroundings of Soviet architecture
    Whatever ! I have forced myself to respond to your note below and you will there find my answers to your questions. We have taken the opportunity to attach Mr P’s current statement for immediate payment. We have also for your information attached a copy of our usual contract which will
    give you some idea of how we perpetrate the Highway Robbery you so easily accuse us of

below is also his reply. included is the letter she sent to him along with his answers
    they have ant legal stand point. [

Sent: 26 January 2009 11:03[/font]
    To:
    Subject: Service Charges - [/font]

To whom it may concern,

As you know, ?? Place was purchased by MR P in the beginning of 2008. I am taking care of all of Mr. P's affairs in UK (contract attached).

I have recently received your invoice for the service charges. The owner requested me to obtain all the details from you regarding your involvement as a managing agent of ??? Place.

Neither Mr.P, the current tenant, or I received any documentation or communication from yourselves or anyone else regarding the managing contract that you took on, or the services you claimed to provide. Consequently Mr. Popov needs to see all the relevant documentation and understand your company’s decision making process.

Some of the questions:

1Who signed the property management contract with TLC Property Management? In our lease (and in your letter) the managing agent is ’30 Collingham Place Management Ltd’ who you say is now trading. Then why are we meant to be paying service charges to the 'TLC Property Management' bank account not the account of '30 Collingham Place Ltd'?
    30 Collingham Place ltd is the Company that owns the Freehold of the Property. All the leaseholders have a share in the Company. It is a dormant company that does not trade or make a Profit. It's sole purpose is to hold the freehold. This facilitates the Purchase and sale of flats. The Managing Agent Notes the Change of ownership and cancels the Vendor's Share Certificate and sends the Purchaser a new one. The Management Company is a seperate Company (ie: Ourselves- TLC Property Management, who are Mandated by the Freeholder, at the time of Selling the Flats, to Manage the Building.) We have attached a copy of our Mangement agreement which details the tasks the Managing Agent performs. For your information.

2The landlord was not interested in BT line or in Aerial. The tenant herself installed all the devices that she required prior to 5th of November (which is the date on your first letter).
    I'm afraid that the way this works in England, when there is a Majority of the leaseholders in agreement with works which affect the building as a whole all the leaseholders make a contribution to the Cost. We were made aware that there was no BT connection to the building. Therefore all the flats were without external Telephone links. This work then, at the request of most of the leaseholders who did need this, was put in hand. Nor was there any provision for T.V. On the same basis this was also installed. Normally both of these things would have been present after a new re-development. It turned out that in this case these things were not provided. We quite properly as Managing Agents advised all the leaseholders and proceded to have these main services installed.

3.[Can you please clarify exactly what work was already carried out and provide all the details, especially:

a.[FONT='Times New Roman','serif'] [/font]describing exactly what was done & why was there a need for it (i.e. carpets changed dues to substantial wear & tear),
    providing invoices with all the detailed breakdown of the costs (i.e. major works provision – all the description of every job with the cost & invoices for it),

c what company has carried out the actual job & quotations of the considered providers, and
    d.[who authorized/ agreed all the work you have carried out.
    Please note that this item is copied below. We will answer this and feel there is no need to repeat the answer below. We are not legally obligated to circulate this information but should any of the leaseholders require to view it in our offices they are entitled to make an appointment and come to our offices during working hours.

4.Please specify which work will need to be carried out for the building, especially:
    a describing exactly what was done & why was there a need for it (i.e. carpets changed dues to substantial wear & tear),
    b providing invoices with all the detailed breakdown of the costs (i.e. major works provision – all the description of every job with the cost & invoices for it),
    c ]what company has carried out the actual job & quotations of the considered providers, and
    d Why are there separate: Accountancy, Admin, Management, and Secretarial Fees?
    a What is included in each of these fees?
    b All together that adds up to £3165 for each flat, it makes £28,485 just for the 'organising' side of things. This is daylight robbery, I personally property manage 3 flats in separate locations, own a company and have a full time job and it doesn't take that much time & money to maintain a freshly renovated building.
    What is included in these fees is the following. :
    Accountancy: £500.00 for preparing the accounts for the Financial Year end and filing these with Companies House.
    Admin and Secretarial go together. This is a contribution of £120.00 per flat for the work involved in preparing all the documentation for the Annual
    General Meeting, attending and setting up the meeting with post of all documents to each leaseholder. We also deal with all the purchase and sale of properties within the building. This entails answering Solicitors queries, receiving and registering Charges with the building insurer and accepting and returning Notice of Assignments. For the actual management of the building itself we charge £275.00 per annum per flat. Your comment that this is daylight robbery is not only unnecessarily offensive, but even more so since it is totally inaccurate. The costs above are £275; plus 120; plus £55.5 for the accounting, per flat. This is included in the Service Charge allocated to Flat 7 of £1,880.00. This is a far cry from your exaggerated and inaccurate estimate of £3,165 for each flat. You should if you are aiming to make offensive and wildly exaggerated statements at least get your facts right.
    If you have any questions please do not hesitate to contact me.

Thank you in advance
    Last edited by starbug; 26th January 2009, 18:52:PM.

Re: please hlp

Being rude is not (yet) a crime and therefore I do not believe that there is any legal action that could be taken. However, I would not accept a response to anything I had written (in particular to a company or individual who expected to receive payment) such as the one above.

The agents claim the fees are £1880, yet your friend states that they are£3165, which is it?

The company will have a Managing Director and I would suggest that your friend copies the MD in on this correspondence as they are likely to take a dim view of this kind of treatment being meted out to paying customers.

Comment

Can't really help but good gracious that is a disgusting letter. What on earth does her coming from russia have anything to do with the price of fish ? To me its very over defensive and would certainly make me follow it up to find out if this company is acting properly. Certainly check the contract and copy through the MD, unless its him has written it
      #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

Thanks Guys

I Guess Your Right. There Are Just Some Real Bigots Out There. Im In Half A Nind To Go And Have A Quite Word With Him ,

As For Who Wrote The Letter, Yes, It Was The Md.

She Is Getting The Contract Tonight So We Can Go Through It.

Comment

What a horrible letter.

I would write directly to the MD and politley demand an explanation.

I just had a quick look through and none of the costs they have quoted seem to bad, they are very similar to the ones I used to see. To be honest (other than the racism) it all seems rather normal for a management company.

Does the client own all the flats or has s/he sold them on? Is the client charging the residents an annual service charge ontop of the rent? Is the management company supplying the leaseholders with copies of the annual accounts (we all used to get sent copies to see exactly what money had been spent and why)

oh this is how TLC describe their services:
          TLC is offering all owners of block properties a comprehensive and professional service
          which includes the following:-

- Years of experience in the property management business.

- Friendly and Professional Service with a package tailored to each property.

- We aim to be pro-active with all properties which we manage.

- Quarterly accounts to all owners.

- Schedule for each property as agreed with co-proprietors.

- Use only quality contractor/s for all work and all works will be guaranteed by the relevant contractor/s.

- We shall arrange competitive estimates for all routine and programmed maintenance work deemed necessary and we shall also supervise any works agreed.

- Negotiate the best insurance rates on your behalf.

- Online non-urgent repairs request
          Dragging myself and my family back into the light with the help of Beagles.

My Hardship Claim
          Me VS Abbey Win
          BIL HSBC Credit Card
          BIL EGG
          BIL HSBC Loan
          BIL PPI Win

Comment

I would be minded to look when the contract expires and inform them on the basis of that letter you will be looking elsewhere for someone to manage the properties.
            Any opinions I give are my own. Any advice I give is without liability. If you are unsure, please seek qualified legal advice.

IF WE HAVE HELPED YOU PLEASE CONSIDER UPGRADING TO VIP - click here

Comment

I deal with a few management companies through my work, and from what I can see, those charges are about average. probably more than where I live, but relatively speaking probably about right. That said, there is no need to be so offensive in their correspondence with you. If it were me, I would be getting all the tenants together and appointing a new managment company. You can do it yourselves but it is a lot of hard work.
              Is no longer here

Comment

Sounds Like A Good Idea Wendy B.

As For The Charges, I Guess They Are Fair...ish.

Just Cant Beleive How He Responded. Digusting

Comment

I personally would be suspicious of a company that reacts so unprofessionally, it gives the impression that they are are either a bunch of crooks or numpties. Any half decent company would not even consider writing such correspondence, even if they would think such things. If these charges are fair, then I suppose they may have to pay but I personally would change companies and then write letters upon letters querying every damn penny for the sake of being awkward and drag out every last detail as long as I could just to **** them off.

I wouldn't stoop to their level though, keep things extra polite and belive me, this will **** them off even more!

Comment

Given it was the MD who sent the reply, I would send a copy of the reply to the other residents and to the local and national press. That kind of conduct is reprehensible and as I said above, I would not accept it.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                    Working...
                    X