• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

gym memberships?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• gym memberships?

hiya everyone
    hope everyone is not freezing their butts off in this cold weather! lol

just a quick one! i cancelled my direct debit for gym last aug 2008 due to financial situation now they have written to me saying i owe them £200 but 1) i wrote to them to cancel and 2) when i signed contract to gym they said i could cancel at anytime for any reason.

So my question is i am not tied in am I for a years membership or anything am I?

:beagle:

Re: gym memberships?

have you got a copy of the terms and conditions?

Also have a read here

Pigletto v Gym membership cancellation fees - Legal Beagles

OFT warns consumers: exercise your judgement when signing up to a gym - Legal Beagles

Comment

Re: gym memberships?

I had a similar situation with my gym membership but I was supposed to give 30 days notice. It was written on the agreement and I signed up to it.

I won't go into the hassles I had trying to contact the company to cancel (0870 numbers and all that) but needless to say I wrote to them to cancel my membership and promptly cancelled my direct debit. They applied for payment within the 30days from the bank who promptly rejected it and they wrote me a nasty letter saying I owed them late fees etc, etc.

Anyway upon investigation I noticed that when I signed the agreement 2 years earlier I had deleted and initalled a clause that read " I have received a copy of the pre-contract information" because at the time I hadn't received it. My solicitor says that the company broke the rules by not providing this information under Consumer (Disclosure of Information) Regulations 2006 and if they try to enforce the agreement I should contact the OFT and tell them of this. I have written to the company and explained the situation and to date (2 weeks and counting) I have not received a reply.
      Last edited by sparehead03; 3rd February 2009, 17:26:PM.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
      Working...
      X