• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Any advice anybody

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any advice anybody

I am in the middle of a personal injury claim which goes to court next week. Due to expensive court fees and barristers fees, in December I had to cancel my DD to Sharklay card. I advised them of this before doing so.

When I was unable to make the full payment, I was offered a reduced payment balance of 0.5% of the balance by a member of Sharklay cards staff from an offshore communication centre. I called back the following day and was informed the CSA had made a mistake and the offer could not be honoured.

I called customer relations via the CEO'S office and the lady agreed to honour the previous offer for three months. Agreed payments were made in December and January and the twice daily phone calls and text messages ceased.

Without warning on Friday I was contacted by a member of staff from a company called Mercers Debt Collection Company. I was informed they were working on behalf of their client Sharklay card and they wanted payment in full. I explained an agreement was in place with their client. The caller advised this was not the case and he could confirm there was no review on the account and he wanted payment. I explained this was not the case and when questioned why the calls and texts from Sharklay card had stopped he agreed to review the situation for seven days to allow me to contact Sharklay card. I have done this today and lady I spoke with confirmed the agreement was in place. Does this mean that the call was aggressive collection tactics?

What action should I take now?

All advice will be most welcome as after the attitude and manner of the representative from Mercers, I really feel that I need to do something. Sharklay card are calling me tomorrow evening.
    Last edited by 9mil; 19th January 2009, 22:06:PM. Reason: spelling errors

Re: Any advice anybody

Have you asked for the agreement to be in writing ? you really do need them to supply it in black and white. When you have received it then you can send a copy to Mercers.

In the meantime when Mercers call, tell them that you are waiting for the written confirmation and that you will send them a copy when you receive it.

Also take a look in the template library (tabs at the top of the forum) and send the Telephone Harrassment letter to Mercers, that should stop them calling you and then you can deal with them in writing only.

Another thing, are there any charges/PPI on the account ? If so you can claim them back and get the balance reduced. For the Subject Access Request Letter see the template library at the top again.

Comment

Sapphire

I already have confirmation of the agreement in writing from Sharklay cards Customer Relations department. Apart from sending a copy of the letter to Mercers is there any other action I should take?

Comment

You need to get confirmation that Mercers are indeed collecting on behalf of Barclaycard, once you have that then you can send a CCA request and see if they have the proper paperwork.

I don't believe that both Barclaycard and Mercers can collect on the same debt at the same time. So you need to confirm who is collecting the debt.

Comment

Originally posted by 9mil View Post
          Sapphire

I already have confirmation of the agreement in writing from Sharklay cards Customer Relations department. Apart from sending a copy of the letter to Mercers is there any other action I should take?
          Write to Mercers (and copy to BC) using the letter in the library to stop them calling you. You must and you have every right to, demand only communication in writing.

Mercers are pussy cats, they will back off.

Comment

Excuse my ignorance but what is a CCA?

Mercers agent also claimed they sent a letter (not received) to me advisng they were deaing with the alledged debt on 16/12/08. The advisor informed me that a copy could not be sent, surely this would contravine DPA 1998? This alledged letter was seven days after the review was agreed direct with Sharklay card. The letter confirming the agreement is dated 09/12/08.

Comment

Mercers are BCs in-house debt collectors.

Comment

I wondered how they had access to review BCS systems

Comment

Originally posted by Amy View Post
                  Mercers are BCs in-house debt collectors.
                  Glad you pointed that out Amy, yep they are Barclays in house DC arm.

Comment

I have received my promised phone call and the lady advised "Your account was passed to Mercers in error due to a system problem". She has agreed to confirm that I should not have been contacted. Any advice??????

Comment

Originally posted by 9mil View Post
                      I have received my promised phone call and the lady advised "Your account was passed to Mercers in error due to a system problem". She has agreed to confirm that I should not have been contacted. Any advice??????
                      I told you Mercers were pussy cats didn't I?

Comment

You did that, this call came from Sharklay card

Comment

I'm not to sure about the CATs part of your comment Amy

Comment

Update

Today I have recived a further three calls from Mercers, I think that at Sharklay Card the right hand does not know what the left is doing. Should I send the harrassment letter via recorded delivery or email direct to the CEO?

Comment

No need to pay out for recorded delivery, just get proof of posting from the Post Office.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                              Working...
                              X