• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

who do you complain to about housing benefit?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• who do you complain to about housing benefit?

I have been writing to birmingham city council complaining about a benefit decision for 12-13 months. they finally found in my favour with the decision.However in that time i repeatedly asked for the authority above the head of benefits who is chris evans in birmingham, but they just ignored me.
    For 12 months i have fought to get the decision put right it has caused me serious stress and head aches . i have also been issued with several threatening letters from the housing assossiation saying they will take me to court for my house because of it. so i have had 12 months of hell.
    its not the first time theyve made a wrong decision either about benefit. i have previously had to fight for 12 months again to get them to put right their decision.
    but to top it all off they once again have sent me a letterjust before xams saying i have had a change in income..... even though i sent the renewal form off saying there had been no change.... they have almost an extra £80 on top meaning they have made me liable for almost all my council tax and rent yet again. i have wrote today again asking them whats going on and asked yet again who i can complain to...
    i really need the name and address of the higher authority to the head of benefits as they are making my life hell
    can any one help?

Re: who do you complain to about housing benefit?

Hi Archer, hope you are well and had a good Christmas. This may help you Enaid x

http://www.adviceguide.org.uk/index/...ax_credits.htm

Comment

Local Government Ombudsman - How to complain
      #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

aww thanks guys xx
        hope you both had a great xmas and have a great new year too.
        ive had a busy yr what with one thing and another so hears to a less busy yr ahead!!
        x

Comment

ok the letter was sent off just before new year.... within 10 days my newest claim was sorted out to the right amount instead of the amount theyd fabricated.. and yesterday i had a letter from housing benefit (the government ombudsman sent it to birmingham city council's chief executive) and they offered me £150 compensation for the last 12-13 months of hell they put me through..i think this amount is an insulting amount considering i have suffered threats of losing my home and serious headaches caused by stress because of them... what do you reckon..should i take it or tell them i think its insulting? they have til the 6th april to "sort out" my complaint before the ombudsman looks into it....

Comment

I think this is one you have to make up your own mind on Archer. I personally would take the money, but then I'm anything for an easy life.
            The "In the knows" would probably say refuse the first offer of any compensation deal.
            It really is a matter of how you feel about it to be honest and if you can put up with waiting another good few months for it to be put to bed so to speak.
            Anyway whichever way you decide on, if you need any help you know where to come.
            Good Luck Enaid x

Comment

thanks enaid...ill have a think and let you know
              hope everythings ok?

Comment

Hi Archer, long time no speak!

I think it depends what sort of financial position you are in at the moment as to whether you take the money or not. That said, it might be worth ringing them and seeing how the land lies before you make your mind up one way or the other. Give them a bit of blurb about how you don;'t think 150 is much considering the stress they've put you through etc blah blah and see if they come up with anything else. Don't put a refusal in writing straight away, see what they say and take some time to think about it first. It's really got to be your call, but explore the options first. Like I said, depends how the finances are at the minute, a couple of years ago i would have taken anything that was offered, now my finances are not so bad I might think twice. And as someone we both know once said (although she may have been before your time OTR) "Principles don't pay the bills".

Wendy
                Is no longer here

Comment

well i thought like you that it was pretty insulting after almost losing my home twice and all the stress... so ive wrote back and refused ,pointing out all their mistakes over the last year and told them it was very insulting.
                  i also told them i am quite happy for the Government ombudsman to look into it on the 6th april when theyre time is up to resolve it... ill just have to wait and see i suppose... i can but hope!! lol and i did win £7.20 on the euro millions last week so maybe my luck is finally changing!! haha
                  how are you wendy? hope everything is ok?xx

Comment

ok had a new letter today off revenues and benefits which is very interesting.....
                    it says
                    i can confirm that since 25 september 2007 to the present date i have identified that we have received 10 items of correspondence from you and that the total time in which we delayed in dealing with these is 297days.
                    considering the above information,the decision has now been made to reconsider the offer of compensation and increase it to £350 instead of the original offer of £150 in full and final settlement.
                    this amount had been calculated using Local Government Ombudsman guidelines which are that compensation should be offered,at the rate of £25 per month,where there has been a delay of four weeks or more in dealing with Housing Benefit claims
                    297 days equates to 10.6 months at £25 per month=£265
                    i have also decided to offer an additional £85 for the time and trouble you have taken to try and sort out your claim
                    then it goes on to say if i wish to accept etc
                    I think this information is amazing and no wonder they keep it quiet cos theyd owe me an absolute fortune from the last 10 years!!!
                    i hope this helps other people in the same situation, and hopefully now this has been done the benefits office wont mess with my claim again!!!
                    xxx
                    thanks to everyone for their help

Comment

Thanks Archer for that info and well done you for saying no to the first offer.
                      It really makes you sick when they know there are rules to be obeyed and yet they just ignore them.
                      Thanks again Enaid x

Comment

yes i know
                        they knew full well they were working against the law and didnt care,hopefully theyll think twice next time cos they will know that I know!! lol and dont think I wont be claiming compensation if they do it again!!

Comment

Result! Welldone you for having the bottle to refuse the first offer. Save some for the meet in June!
                          Is no longer here

Comment

lol well im currently suing a couple of other companies too so i should have a bit more to come fingers crossed!!
                            u staying overnight or going home?

Comment

I'm going home.....at some point lol. Which side of town are you?
                              Is no longer here

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                              Working...
                              X